Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Essential J.S. Bach

Essential J.S. Bach
August 22, 2012, 12:47:48 AM
I finally reached some weird evolutionary stage as a classical listener whereby all roads inevitably lead back to the great baroque masters. But I'm like a child to this. So far I discovered J.S Bach's best works are his 6 Brandenburg concertos, his fugal organ music and the St Matthew passion (still early days but I'm already thinking it might be the pinnacle of music full stop).

Feel free to make comment, correction or additions to that list.

Re: Essential J.S. Bach
August 22, 2012, 04:12:47 AM
I have the overtures suites 1-4 performed by Cologne Chamber Orchestra under Helmut Müller-Brühl. Baroque could very well have been the peak era for classical music. By implication, this would be the golden age of music composition in world history, punctuated by Mozart and culminating in Beethoven.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

August 23, 2012, 08:12:19 PM
I'm already thinking it might be the pinnacle of music full stop).

Art of the Fugue, see: Musica Antiqua Köln

N

August 24, 2012, 05:17:57 PM
There’s a saying, Bach Did it first!... =)

The Violin Partita’s are particularly resplendent, as are the Cello Suites. If you have enough time, play them; Bach’s one of the best things to do in life, IMHO.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL92914995FC5D019F

August 27, 2012, 11:19:20 PM
Thanks everyone for the recommendations.

There isn't an internet upload of this anywhere but I found an enticing organ rendition by the great Helmut Walcha.
Will need to wait a few weeks for my bandwidth to re-spawn.

September 19, 2012, 11:48:09 PM

There isn't an internet upload of this anywhere but I found an enticing organ rendition by the great Helmut Walcha.

A sample of Musica Antiqua Köln's recording: Contrapunctus 1

Thank you for the Walcha.

The instrumentation alternates between a small chamber (period) string ensemble, sometimes with continuo, and solo harpsichord. Although solo keyboard is probably the intended instrumentation, the performance is timeless.

If you plan to obtain a hard copy of this performance, I recommend this version, if you don't mind used CD's. The performance of A Musical Offering is also exceptional.

October 10, 2012, 12:57:24 AM

A sample of Musica Antiqua Köln's recording: Contrapunctus 1

Thank you for the Walcha.

The instrumentation alternates between a small chamber (period) string ensemble, sometimes with continuo, and solo harpsichord. Although solo keyboard is probably the intended instrumentation, the performance is timeless.

If you plan to obtain a hard copy of this performance, I recommend this version, if you don't mind used CD's. The performance of A Musical Offering is also exceptional.

Many thanks, I ordered this from amazon and it is an excellent recording. I am now trying to download the Brandenburg concertos played by Musica Antiqua Köln found here, as I'm currently only familiar with the Il Giardino Armonico rendition.

I also discovered what looks to be an interesting documentary about Bach, The Art of Fugue, Helmut Walcha and his pupil George Ritchie who later gives a lecture including practical examples from the work. Once again there is no full upload to be found as yet.