Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Only Death Is Real: NME

Only Death Is Real: NME
May 10, 2012, 01:11:17 AM
I just got my double CD reissue of NME's '80s material from Dark Descent, and let me tell you, it kicks some serious ass. I think that the DLA describes their music more effectively than any other written source:
Quote from: Dark Legions Archive
Use of straight hardcore riffs alongside metal-influenced but not modally pentatonic playing gives this band the freedom to make either hypnotically simple tonal continuance or leaps beyond the chromatic for periodic emphasis on structure, yet the essence of this playing is the raw rhythm and relative motion in these riffs that gives a shape to the forward inertia flung out in primitive and brain-maulingly simple pieces.
I'd say that not only is this album an essential amorphous slab of protean black/death, but it's also of tremendous historical importance: for '86, you really can't get much heavier than this band, and they are said to be a huge influence on Euronymous' initial forays into black metal (you can really hear it in the guitar tone and guitar playing itself). What really caught my eye was this excerpt from an old promotional flier included in the liner notes:
Quote from: NME
Do not fear. For life to exist, there must be death. Those who don't believe -- must die!
I'd say that that's right up there with Tom G. Warrior's immortal '83 statement of intent. If you're into Mad Max-style wasteland metal (Bolt Thrower, Blasphemy, etc.), this double CD is an essential purchase.

Re: Only Death Is Real: NME
May 12, 2012, 02:07:03 PM
There are a lot of reasons why I love this album.

The metal fan in me loves the morbid, hostile, ultimately realistic bent of this music. It's got a lot of early Venom/Hellhammer influence filtered through Motorhead. Which brings me to my next point - the punk in me loves the sloppiness, the we-don't-give-a-shit-how-bad-we're-playing attitude. Together, these elements achieve a fusion of proto black/death with hardcore. It's a great combination. If I were to ever compose black metal, it would probably take quite a few cues from this band.

This is one of those rare instances where the album can be enjoyed by simply sitting down and listening to it as a singular experience, or it can be blasted at loud volume and enjoyed with beers and friends. I would encourage anyone who doesn't have this album to get it immediately.

August 30, 2012, 02:29:22 PM
NME is some of my favorite Metal; though, why are they listed in the Audiophile list as Texan? Wasn't the main dude from Vancouver or am I mislead?

August 30, 2012, 07:52:28 PM
They're from Washington. Probably a mistake on the poster's part (or maybe those greedy Texans just want to take the credit for all the good metal  :P).

September 02, 2012, 12:38:29 AM
I'm way behind.  Literally just heard Unholy Death for the first time a week or two ago and have been playing it quite a bit.  I do like this a lot.  Beer Drinking Black Metal  8)

September 02, 2012, 05:38:10 AM
A good companion to this album would be Bloody Vengeance by Vulcano, also from 1986 and sounding like a bridge between NME and Sarcofago.