Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

What would a metal society look like?

Re: What would a metal society look like?
March 01, 2007, 09:46:56 AM
I think Glinda had a good point.  There are plenty of towns, especially where i live in the south, with even less than a hundred people.  All you'd have to do is be willing to put forth the effort to start from scratch....and why the hell not?  It definitely seems worth it to me.

Living in the American Southeast myself, I can attest to the lowly populated towns. Mississippi has about 3 million people spread out over 47,000 sq.miles.  Many people still own private land out here, although those that own enough to set up a reasonable-sized town might be few and far between.

http://www.fedstats.gov/qf/states/28000.html

Also, unlike the South- and Mid-West, the portions of the Southeast that are part of the Mississippi River Basin are well-watered, with good soil, and plentiful game. It is thought that the River Basin is one of the few places in the world where a responsible hunter/gatherer and agricultural society could exist indefinitely.

Back to topic:

Any metal society that wishes to immediately distance itself from consumer culture could impose a
slightly regulated form of bartering within its jurisdiction. Bartering 5 ewes/2 rams for 3 bicycles, for example, isn't exactly a fair trade because the sheep will reproduce and become a renewable source for trade, whereas the bicycles are nonrenewable and will eventually break down. So, some rule governing the types of exchanges that can be made would be in order.

The easiest course of action would be to encourage trades that recognized quality and equivalence in the goods.  I use 'renewable' as a trait for the judging of equivalence in my example because it's easy to understand. In order to determine quality, the traders could submit their goods to inspect by a recognized master. This would not only encourage fairness and limitation in commerce but also reinforce the affinity to helpful professions within the community.

The idea is not planned out well enough to survive all situations, but it's something to think about.

No one will barter for sex. AIDS may be a renewable resource, but if you have just a little, you have too much.

March 01, 2007, 09:57:33 AM
Also, unlike the South- and Mid-West, the portions of the Southeast that are part of the Mississippi River Basin are well-watered, with good soil, and plentiful game.

Not terribly on topic, but: are you implying the Midwest lacks sufficient water, fertile soil, and game?  If anything, it is one of the regions of the country where all these things are still found plentifully.

March 01, 2007, 10:07:32 AM

Not terribly on topic, but: are you implying the Midwest lacks sufficient water, fertile soil, and game?  If anything, it is one of the regions of the country where all these things are still found plentifully.

Ah, sorry for the generalization. I suppose that I should say that the Mississippi River Basin is a part of the continent where acquiring land with those qualities would be less expensive/frustrating.

March 05, 2007, 05:09:52 PM
I see a metal society happening this way.

Our parents are dependent on the old system, for fear of not having the cash to retire or keep up their medical bills, and so they keep pushing it along, but it decays. No culture remains: newcomers arrive, money manipulates brains, mass media obliterates memories of the past.

The citizens cannot unite. There are many theories. Some believe the government did 9/11, others think the Masons control the world, still others think it's Jesus' plan for the rapture. Who is right? It doesn't matter. No one can unite on a concept for what the future should be. Trust disintegrates. Hatred is masked under politeness. Love becomes sex, friendship becomes business, religion becomes being right and others wrong, war becomes profit. Society falls apart invisibly from within.

In one corner of Houston, TX, a subdivision is gutted by gang warfare and poverty. A few metalheads move into a house, and instead of taking the shit, they fight back, often by unconventional methods like wrecking gangster's cars or spray-painting drug addicts pink. They play loud Satanic music at top volume and shoot back. They invite their friends. Soon they occupy six houses. The cops are busy elsewhere. The metalheads wage war on those who do not share their vision. Maybe it's unjust, maybe it's wrong... but it is effective, and the neighborhood passes into Hessian hands.

They are now the law because they wield the power. The few who are useless slackers are kicked out because they do not share this vision by their actions. The neighborhood is united by the culture found in the ideas that propel this music, in the religious symbolism of its sound, in its fearless attitude toward life.

Others stay away. The community gains life because all must eat, and so labor divides naturally by what people can do. A new kind of law rules this land. There are no constraints on murder, only the idea that those who do not act to support the vision or act against it are not wanted. They find themselves experiencing less of the resources shared, and thrown out eventually if they're not smart enough to leave. It's not enough to listen to metal. The person has to live it, and put their energy into supporting it.

Concerts occur impromptu at random times, when people come together, and gradually like a civilization forming, these groups form bands who play several times a week. These concerts are the social backbone of this culture, like churches once were for great-grandparents, but there are no churches here. There is money, but not business. Hessian culture defines what is done and they find out how to pay for it later, or manipulate it by force.

This society leads itself by idea, and lets the mechanics come later.

As civilization decays, two groups form in many variants: those who have some uniting concept, and those who are just lumping along and trying to get what they can. No one can trust the latter group. The former group, in forms Christian and Hessian and Nazi and Green and Jewish and Mason and Hindu and Jungian and Vegetarian and Vegan, create their own communities -- sub-civilizations -- and endure by finding trust in each other and building simple economies that feed productive citizens and exclude others.

It isn't as far away as you think. A wave of hurricanes, a disease or two, doubling in the price of oil, some foreign wars and strange distant lands with nuclear weapons, more crime and corruption, more theft and drug warfare, and society will collapse on itself in slow stages like a world trade center shuddering into oblivion from its own weight.

It's not a bad thing to plan for.

March 11, 2007, 03:48:32 PM
I got a boner reading that post.

April 28, 2007, 07:42:15 AM
I got a boner reading that post.

World civilization death... remember that band GGFH, whose name stood for (reputedly) Global Genocide Forget Heaven?

April 28, 2007, 12:15:16 PM
But in the end aren't we just becoming another organized street gang? It may unite a group of Hessians but is it really going to do anything other then to frightening and bully all those of other modes of thought?  

April 28, 2007, 03:38:49 PM
But in the end aren't we just becoming another organized street gang? It may unite a group of Hessians but is it really going to do anything other then to frightening and bully all those of other modes of thought?  

No because we don't use the power and civilisation for the sake of selfish needs; it's to create something better for everyone else and transcend our own lives.

April 28, 2007, 05:40:25 PM
however we would still be utilizing all of the aspects that make our society harmful to other species and to the environment, it would just be another western society with people who read Nietzsche but are stuck reaping money and hurting the planet. Thats why i liked the idea of buying a property out in the country or on an island where we can build an eco-friendly society rather then a street gang who listens to loud music all through the night.

April 28, 2007, 05:54:10 PM
however we would still be utilizing all of the aspects that make our society harmful to other species and to the environment, it would just be another western society with people who read Nietzsche but are stuck reaping money and hurting the planet. Thats why i liked the idea of buying a property out in the country or on an island where we can build an eco-friendly society rather then a street gang who listens to loud music all through the night.

An isolated island isn't going to work at this point of time, because any island (which due to its smaller size has a presumably lower lying land mass) would be one of the first places to be inundated when sea levels rise within the next 20-30 years.

Raise_the_Dead

April 28, 2007, 06:45:43 PM

I think a community of intelligent metal-heads would maybe at first look like a street gang, but be able to become a fully functioning and sustainable community after some time, and then more people might be interested in moving to such a place.  They would learn to grow their own food and make their own products - that's why Hessians should learn to be comfortable working in the field, so to speak.

Either way I don't think born for banning's post was completely serious anyway, just an idea about how a Hessian society might come into being.  And if he is, it definitely sounds like a fun alternative to our modern world.

Lastly, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't many civilizations have their roots in bloodshed and "fighting back"?

April 28, 2007, 07:14:56 PM

If it's a different, better design for society, it's an archetype of the future.

No reason why it can't be more ecologically positive, like small lower-tech sub-civilizations are worldwide.

But forming a green commune? You go do it, and I'll watch it fail. There's not enough there to bind people. You need a culture, and metal is one of those cultures, if we paid attention to the Morbid Angels and Immortals and not the Satyricons and Drudkhs.

April 28, 2007, 07:44:26 PM
When i say ecologically friendly i mean things like cars would be replaced with more suitable forms of transport (considering how small the territory is this makes sense). But this does not mean you cant have technology, after all many forms of gathering electricity do no harm whatsoever so most gadgets should be usable.

And how does being in a eco-friendly society lack culture?

April 29, 2007, 01:54:31 AM

No reason why it can't be more ecologically positive, like small lower-tech sub-civilizations are worldwide.

Does anyone know any? Since I was a wee lad i've daydreamed of moving to some sort of medievalist community (although i of course would still like electricity and various aspects of modern life). If this metal society thing never takes off (to be honest, youd have to collect more people, perhaps non-metal pagans or something? i dont know), then I for one am still leaving this shithouse society.

April 29, 2007, 08:39:01 AM
Does anyone know any? Since I was a wee lad i've daydreamed of moving to some sort of medievalist community (although i of course would still like electricity and various aspects of modern life). If this metal society thing never takes off (to be honest, youd have to collect more people, perhaps non-metal pagans or something? i dont know), then I for one am still leaving this shithouse society.

There's a Hippie community (filled with dropouts from high profile careers across the country) in a small town called Madrid, New Mexico. Seems to have worked for them.