Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

What would a metal society look like?

Re: What would a metal society look like?
May 01, 2007, 09:42:46 AM
If this thread is any indication, a metal community would fail, which is what most of you wanted to hear in the first place.

May 01, 2007, 11:38:05 AM
If this thread is any indication, a metal community would fail, which is what most of you wanted to hear in the first place.

Nice pep talk, thinking positive as usual. Instead of predicting its failure, why dont you say something helpful? The possibilities of how this society would work and how it would come to be have barely been scratched. Also, why the fuck do you assume 'most of us' wanted to hear that it would fail? Do you take people on this forum to be as uninspired and lazy as normal people? r-e-s-p-e-c-t.
Perhaps someone could start a poll/petition/whatever to see how many people are interested, advertise it and whatnot (after possibilities have been discussed)?
Or was Mr. Positive there right?

May 01, 2007, 02:38:42 PM
Do you take people on this forum to be as uninspired and lazy as normal people?
Or was Mr. Positive there right?

Yeah! Prove me wrong!

May 01, 2007, 03:43:51 PM
When i say ecologically friendly i mean things like cars would be replaced with more suitable forms of transport (considering how small the territory is this makes sense).

Cloning the modern world by having "new types of cars" or new improved "other product" is not really an alternative. Our towns need to be efficiently designed so that personal transport devices are not needed by most people. Walking for a few minutes rather than driving an hour in clogged traffic might accomplish the same purpose less destructively. Towns are stupidly designed so that everyone must take on the extra expense of a petroleum burning car in order to function.

May 01, 2007, 04:20:00 PM

Cloning the modern world by having "new types of cars" or new improved "other product" is not really an alternative. Our towns need to be efficiently designed so that personal transport devices are not needed by most people. Walking for a few minutes rather than driving an hour in clogged traffic might accomplish the same purpose less destructively. Towns are stupidly designed so that everyone must take on the extra expense of a petroleum burning car in order to function.

It's also not just the towns that are at fault - more people could be working where they live.

May 01, 2007, 05:11:29 PM

It's also not just the towns that are at fault - more people could be working where they live.

Indeed. The very concept of "job" is a crucial factor in the downfall of society. It is now extremely common that people leave their town and install themselves in a "foreign" environment just because of a job, and thus pollute ethnocultural entities, or that they travel 4 hours a day just to go to that special job they're after whereas they could do a more meaningful and useful job in their immediate surroundings. The modern concept of "job" destroys micro-ecosystems and societies.

May 01, 2007, 06:05:41 PM

You're certainly correct, but if you've ever been to the States (perhaps you have) you would know exactly what was meant.  There are a limited number of larger cities where transport without a car (and without basing your life around your transportation choice) is possible; in others where it may have been, the ubiquitous presence of it [edit: automobile traffic] has made the practice difficult.  A lot of places are slowly coming around but it is much a case of too little, too late.

Iconoclast

May 02, 2007, 11:53:53 PM
In the midwest, cities typically expand while remaining relatively less dense than major cities, thus public transportation is out of the question for a lot of people.  I certainly couldn't walk to my university in a reasonable time; it would take four to five hours at the minimum ( that would be 10 hours both ways!  and instead of the 30-45 minutes with a car both ways) and that's simply not time I have to spend walking in a grease covered, piece of shit city.

(if this is off topic, delete this post because I'm drunk and too lazy to read the past page ;) )

May 05, 2007, 02:55:45 PM
So human... a beautiful mountain before you, and first you worry about the pile of shit blocking the first step. Step over it, or your trained helplessness makes you useless.

Cities can be rearranged. People can move between buildings. Big cities can split up into local communities, like they're already doing as a buffer against crime (98% of which is committed by minorities, drug addicts, and mentally retarded homeless). All these things are easily surmountable.

May 05, 2007, 10:31:15 PM
I don't think anybody is making these last set of observations with a defeatist tone toward the initial topic, it is just an interesting tangential conversation.

May 06, 2007, 10:04:00 PM
I say a bunch of metalheads just go into a gay community and buy some houses. We all play really loud death metal 24/7 and eventually the gays will leave and we'll have our own community and it won't be in the middle of nowhere.

May 07, 2007, 12:50:34 PM
Just don't play any Manowar or Judas Priest.

May 08, 2007, 05:12:41 AM
I say a bunch of metalheads just go into a gay community and buy some houses. We all play really loud death metal 24/7 and eventually the gays will leave and we'll have our own community and it won't be in the middle of nowhere.

However to play music this loud this consistently will break a lot of council rules, unless you are very rich its not a feasible option, especially if the person likely) and there is a chance they may enjoy your music.  

May 16, 2007, 12:49:06 AM

You're certainly correct, but if you've ever been to the States (perhaps you have) you would know exactly what was meant.  There are a limited number of larger cities where transport without a car (and without basing your life around your transportation choice) is possible; in others where it may have been, the ubiquitous presence of it [edit: automobile traffic] has made the practice difficult.  A lot of places are slowly coming around but it is much a case of too little, too late.

Large cities are almost universally shitty places to live because we have no connection to 99.99% of the people around us. The ideal setting for any, not just a metal community, would be a small enough village that everyone knows everyone else. In such a situation, sociopathic / decadent behavior is extremely rare. A metal society would be Pagan in nature, and it seems to make alot more sense to follow a tribal pattern.

I find myself dismayed by the (seemingly) insurmountable nature of this task (Hey, let's go make our own civilization!), but it's something worth working for. I would much rather try and fail miserably than remain in our modern shithole and never so much as aspire to transcend. Frankly, the types who aren't even willing to attempt rewarding challenges or put in work when work is demanded are the kinds that would have no place in such a society, and really shouldn't be on these boards.

May 16, 2007, 03:20:05 AM
But if i were to try i would prefer to do it with a plan that seems like it could work (but may not), rather then one i know will not. After all rash thinking and quick decisions are why revolutions tend to put people farther behind then they already were.