Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

What would a metal society look like?

Re: What would a metal society look like?
May 31, 2007, 07:28:14 AM
But a small metal community would probably be reliant on a larger economy, so wouldn't the idea of a purely localized currency hinder larger relations? I guess this idea might work if it was a farming community.

May 31, 2007, 11:27:58 AM
But a small metal community would probably be reliant on a larger economy, so wouldn't the idea of a purely localized currency hinder larger relations? I guess this idea might work if it was a farming community.

What I saw wasn't farms, more like small towns with small shops, workshops and the like. Inhabitants didn't want big brands or larger companies to set in.

I've found it again : it's in Massachusetts. In Berkshire.

May 31, 2007, 12:49:40 PM
A good metal society or a bad one?
Cause I don't think a good one would have worked very well... too many wannabes and emos would have ruined it! I see stuff about some island... maybe the people who would live there had to pass a test or something, but i guess it would have been corrupt, and ended maybe even worse >_<

June 02, 2007, 02:47:44 AM

What I saw wasn't farms, more like small towns with small shops, workshops and the like. Inhabitants didn't want big brands or larger companies to set in.

I've found it again : it's in Massachusetts. In Berkshire.

If it wasnt a farming community it would need some way to get the resources it needs, if you have your own localised goverments wont it make any imports like food a struggle to acuire?

June 02, 2007, 08:54:58 AM

If it wasnt a farming community it would need some way to get the resources it needs, if you have your own localised goverments wont it make any imports like food a struggle to acuire?

Yes, of course. But Berkshire inhabitants aren't in open conflict with the government, so it is accepted. The degree of food autonomy is proportional to the degree of dissidence of the community. If you don't declare war to the US government as soon as you buy your land ; you might have the time to build your food self-sufficiency to the degree where you won't have to worry about what your public stance is anymore.

June 02, 2007, 02:15:02 PM
I'm not sure if a community should be based on music. I don't think this is what everyone here is saying, but I just wanted to make that clear  :)

Anyway, a lot of what is being said here are details within the whole. I think the first task is to see how many of you are serious about this?

Maybe various meeting areas should be designated throughout the country with heads of local branches to report to the main branch. Something along these lines sounds doable.

Figuring out who is serious and who is trying to look cool over the internet is the first task at hand.

June 02, 2007, 10:09:12 PM
I think for an actual serious gesture towards a complete nihilistic subculture which be to almost become like the free-masons. Branches where ever there is enough willing participants, and local meetings and agendas and probably a lot of raising awareness to topics is what the group would advocate. But this would all happen within normal society. These people all have jobs and lives outside of the group. So i donít think if a serious attempt was made, this is the closest it would come.

June 03, 2007, 12:18:01 AM
Maybe various meeting areas should be designated throughout the country with heads of local branches to report to the main branch. Something along these lines sounds doable.

Why not use any one of the countless existing organizations already out there? Sure, you would have to pay for a newsletter membership, a P.O. box and show up for a protest rally or two. But, the infrastructure is already in place and a couple dozen co-conspirators could influence the organization toward a more useful direction.

June 03, 2007, 07:19:49 PM
I'm not sure if a community should be based on music.

No, it would have to based on the culture behind the music. By that I don't mean fan culture, because that's an oxymoron. I mean the ideas shared behind notable creators that drive them forward.

June 04, 2007, 03:00:18 AM
I'm living in South Dakota now, and near the town I live in I'm not kidding is a town right outside of an ethanol plant, there are like 200-400 houses there for only like $10,000 per house. That's like nothing. We could each buy our lil piece of land, tear down all but a few of the houses, set up the land for farming, and figure out how we want to run the place ,obviously "work" as defined by the current system would change, as all work would be done within the community. We could then sell our goods and services outside of the community, by internet, or by selecting a few people to go out and sell our stuff. Most things are legal to do when running your own town, as long as you can outvote the other guy, and you're not killing anyone, making a mess, or making a nuisance of yourself. There is a community here of  German people called Hutterites and they work and live mostly within their own community, sell surplus food, and the men build houses outside the community to bring in extra money, so obviously a society like that is doable,it's just a matter of cutting the bullshit, getting everybody there, and then talking about the particulars. I think the main problem is that nobody really wants to make changes that big in their own lives, and work together for the good of such a community. Seriously, it could work if all you guys would quit BSing and get the balls to actually do it, instead of this "in theory" or "why should I try" or "it has to be exaclty how I would envision it or I don't wanna do it". We all gotta settle down somewhere, and ideally, I think it'd be better in a community of like minded people rather than some stinkin city or in a suburb with neighbors I don't know, or can't stand.

June 05, 2007, 05:25:00 AM
The dissapointing fact is that you face metal as a stereotype, as a certain ideology.Well for me it isn't.Of course there are some kind of attitudes that you expect from a metaller.But a metal "society" now should include only few and there won't be any Cradle of filth cds to throw to the stupid ones.The only thing you can't fight is stupidity.It just grows stronger.To get things to happen you need some kind of everyday personal war.If everything was shity and wimpish then there would be a chance for a change.
Another thing is that the most easy thing to do in order to seem less trendy is to fight against bands like Cradle of filth Satyricon whatsoever but it's not that simple.You should explain what are the things that make you feel like that(desiring a metal society).Somebody wrote:there shouldn't be any churches.Yes that's true so why don't you burn one?The most difficult thing is not to understand and get away from the stupidity but also recreate far away from it.For example when I see a church in a forest I consider this as a totally shameful fact for the nature,You too I Imagine.But why the most of you don't destroy them and instead you think of how it would be a society without them?
The will and the power are inadequete.

As i said earlier on the number of the individuals in a metal "society" should be restricted because wimps and idiots exist in large quantities in the metal scene.

Anyway,the whole thing is too conjectural.

June 05, 2007, 08:50:32 AM
I think the main problem is that nobody really wants to make changes that big in their own lives, and work together for the good of such a community. Seriously, it could work if all you guys would quit BSing and get the balls to actually do it, instead of this "in theory" or "why should I try" or "it has to be exaclty how I would envision it or I don't wanna do it".

You can never guarantee that things will go the way you see it but that does not mean go do everything without thinking because it prove your "dedicated."

With Russia that have had multiple bloody revolutions that did nothing for the reasons they were fought, huge numbers died for no reason, and all because the revolutionists did not think through anything well enough.

June 05, 2007, 03:59:10 PM
OK, fascinating as it is to discuss the pros and cons of such a society, a metal forum is not the best place to actually make it happen, fact. It needs ot people to start working on a local level, find people near them of a like mind, start gathering people together, organising meeting and thrash out ideas. Then you need to get people organised on a wider scale, obviously through the internet, things like msypace would be a good place to start. If we run it with a kind of central goverment with local bodies things might start moving. And through that we can start to work out the practicality of it, things like location, resources, what kind of system etc etc.

June 05, 2007, 09:38:53 PM
Interesting article on this topic:

Somewhere in the northern New Mexico desert, a grizzled gardener
called Robbie is praising the prickliness of his home. "The cops don't
like to come out here," he says proudly, "and this place is built on
being left alone by the authorities. People say to the government,
'Fuck you. Chinga tu madre. We don't want your government, and you can
get out of here.'"

http://www.reason.com/news/show/120512.html

June 06, 2007, 02:15:50 AM
Interesting article on this topic:

This is the place I was referring to in a previous post on this topic. I was under the impression the place is called "Madrid," although they don't seem to have mentioned that.