Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

What would a metal society look like?

Re: What would a metal society look like?
June 07, 2007, 01:36:23 AM
Starting a metal society would not be hard. The main problem i see is finding suitable members. It's not like you can just put an ad up for people to come. Then people that are not welcome would come too. Plus, let's face it, metalheads aren't the most organized people. I stick to my original idea of just getting a bunch of people and invading a town. Not a real invasion, but just a bunch of people moving there. All the depressing black will scare the people away. If anything, buy a buch of firearms and make the residents aware that you have them. They see a bunch of people with long hair, black clothes, and guns, they'll leave. We have to make police as scared of hessians as they are African-Americans. Then there will essentially be self-rule such as in inner-city neighborhoods. Police do not go in there because they are scared. Same would apply here. A few actions would have to be taken though. Nothing scares Americans like domestic terrorist attacks. The problem is that we'll probably just get confused with neo-nazis. So we would need spokespeople as well. We have to make our kind known. Only way I see it is possible for this to work.

June 07, 2007, 05:52:46 AM
So a group that although their intentions may be different, are identical in actions to any gang,  putting forth a spokesperson to make them understood. This does not really make sense to me.

June 07, 2007, 10:40:23 AM
What you're proposing would just result in a "metal town", a metal area of a large city, and not a completely serpate metal society.

June 09, 2007, 11:09:52 AM
So a group that although there intentions may be different are identical in actions to any gang putting forth a spokesperson to make them understood, does not really make sense to me.

Its kind of a bad look for the site when the (non-admin) user with the highest posts can't/doesn't form coherent sentences, or use correct grammar and spelling. Come on man..."Quality, not quantity."
Perhaps you should re-visit the 'Grammar for Metalheads' thread to brush up on your their, there, and they're usage. Fuck, its the same laziness responsible for the language used by IMing teenagers.

June 09, 2007, 04:04:17 PM
He's not American, and English isn't his primary language; give the man a break.

June 09, 2007, 10:43:14 PM
Starting a metal society would not be hard. The main problem i see is finding suitable members. It's not like you can just put an ad up for people to come. Then people that are not welcome would come too. Plus, let's face it, metalheads aren't the most organized people. I stick to my original idea of just getting a bunch of people and invading a town. Not a real invasion, but just a bunch of people moving there. All the depressing black will scare the people away. If anything, buy a buch of firearms and make the residents aware that you have them. They see a bunch of people with long hair, black clothes, and guns, they'll leave. We have to make police as scared of hessians as they are African-Americans. Then there will essentially be self-rule such as in inner-city neighborhoods. Police do not go in there because they are scared. Same would apply here. A few actions would have to be taken though. Nothing scares Americans like domestic terrorist attacks. The problem is that we'll probably just get confused with neo-nazis. So we would need spokespeople as well. We have to make our kind known. Only way I see it is possible for this to work.

I think in general you have some good thoughts, but a little bit disorganized.  First draft?  I think the neo-nazi or terrorist label would be difficult to break away from without drawing speculation that it's some kind of "Satanic Devil Worshipping Baby Eating Animal Raping Cult."

June 10, 2007, 04:32:02 AM
Its kind of a bad look for the site when the (non-admin) user with the highest posts can't/doesn't form coherent sentences, or use correct grammar and spelling. Come on man..."Quality, not quantity."
Perhaps you should re-visit the 'Grammar for Metalheads' thread to brush up on your their, there, and they're usage. Fuck, its the same laziness responsible for the language used by IMing teenagers.

Sadly English is the only language i can speak, but just to please you i went along i fixed up my previous sentence to the best of my ability.

June 18, 2007, 02:31:57 AM
Starting a metal society would not be hard. The main problem i see is finding suitable members.

Especially since most metalheads are choked with apathy and self-satiation, and are impotent outside of their day jobs and CD-collecting habits.

I am increasingly not drawn toward a metal society. I think we'd need a metal-inspired society, like taking the best ideas of Burzum, Immortal, Summoning and Slayer and making a manifesto and getting those who agree on it to buy enough of Utah or Wyoming to set up a new state.

December 01, 2007, 04:26:58 PM
Options

theme park
A metal/medieval/gothic/renaissance community where employees live on site. Similarly, Disney World, somewhat self-sufficient, also has some housing for its employees.

Cost: tendency to depend on profit not culture and accountability to the surrounding government's laws and taxes. Startup outsider capital investors would want their money back and then some, quickly.

Benefit: cleaner, quicker interface into existing society by being another corporation.

exclusive island
Establish metal townships on an island independent of other nation states.

Cost: economic isolation from limited natural resources and tiny volume of trade exports due to scale. Lack of available island within group's budget. Iron, meat, stone, grain and hardwoods might be very expensive commodities locally. Insignificant military protection. Chronic poverty.

Benefit: autonomy, exclusivity, strong isolation from modernity and crowds

rural pioneer
Buy up adjacent country or ghost town lots in America. Smokey Mts might be a good pick.

Cost: initial lack of work, accountable to surrounding governments

Benefit: eventually agrarian and semi-autonomous, semi-isolation from modernity and crowds

urban pioneer
Buy up cheap inner city housing and populate local government. Many metal bands started in this setting.

Cost: chronic poverty and almost no agriculture, accountable to surrounding governments, high crime environment

Benefit: eventually semi-autonomous, close proximity to metal culture venues and patrons

arcology pioneer
Experimental society design ostensibly for academic research for post-carbon society and sociology.

Cost: reliance on startup grants, engineers, scientists, scholars. Accountable to outsider expectations and surrounding government.

Benefit: living off the land, green tech, localized economy, limited modernity and no crowds. Semi-autonomous.

December 02, 2007, 01:55:12 AM
Viridovix, those last three options are actually highly do-able, and good ideas. Well, the urban pioneer one has obvious problems, but could potentially be a jumping point to something better... it depends on where we're talking about, too. Harder in the States than Europe.

I'd like to see a really serious thread on this. I'm going to try to come up with some ideas, because it's clear to me that there are a lot of people who actually regard this as a good idea and could approach it from a serious perspective... It's all do-able.

December 02, 2007, 06:42:51 AM
theme park

Why does this have to be a 'theme park'? When I thought of an independent society I envisioned a "metal/medieval/gothic/renaissance"-like community, not a business. I'm not sure the idea of outside investors is too good -then again who of us has the money for this (or the other ideas that require large amounts of $$$)? Otherwise this is an ok idea. An independent society like this could be a role model for the rest of the world (if publicised effectively) and could serve much the same purpose as the "arcology pioneer" option (albeit on a more basic level, at least scientifically), although once it got going and people were interested, it could develop into this.
Would we be aiming to build these societies across the globe? Finding the numbers for a society in several countries could be hard. Then again, we don't want one big multicultural one. Or is one nation (America ::)) selected for the 'experiment'?

December 09, 2007, 10:14:34 PM
Ecologists speak of a concept called the "metapopulation", wherein smaller populations can be considered as an integrated whole. Taking this into consideration, we need not speak of establishing a locality in which we should hope to foster Hessian ideals.

During a run with my bandmate, we spoke of the manner in which art was supported during the Classical period of Western music: talented composers were commissioned by nobility to create magnificant pieces, in exchange for hospitality and some form of financial reimbursement. Oftentimes, this economic structure enabled composers to travel throughout the European continent to bolster their reputation and acquaint new audiences with their work.

Such a paradigm could certainly be revived in our times. If we wish to support a healthy metal community, we need to recognize that we live in a global, consumerist society. Only then will we be able to create the opportunity for the best bands to move efficiently through the world and reach a larger audience. We can "commission" artists such as Crimson Massacre and help make a national tour a reality, by offering our homes and financial buffering for such performers. Something similar to this had been done to make the Demilich U.S. tour a reality; why not make this into a permanent institution?

Granted, there are far too many peons within the current metal community (the ANUS notwithstanding) to make this a reliable system. I have faith, however, that positive, honorable individuals will help metal transcend the same social format that exists for the entertainment industries. If we wish to have metal acknowledged as a true art, we will have to invest our trust!

December 10, 2007, 04:18:14 AM
I agree with you Christ Fucking Malarkey. But I also think metal should dissociate itself from the rock mentality and adopt a classical one. By this, I mean metal should be presented to the public in a different manner. Just like classical music nowadays.
The point is to make it less accessible for those who merely want to get drunk and bang their brainless heads like ragging (and hairless) apes.

Murder_Soul

December 10, 2007, 06:05:58 PM
A metal society would probably be lame. Metal would become the mainstream, and become generic.

Hlidskjalf: Your being too elitist about it. Music is what music is. People like it for what it. The whole point of going to shows is the atmosphere, the pits, the people, etc.

December 10, 2007, 09:08:40 PM
A metal society would probably be lame. Metal would become the mainstream, and become generic.

Hlidskjalf: Your being too elitist about it. Music is what music is. People like it for what it. The whole point of going to shows is the atmosphere, the pits, the people, etc.

The whole point of going to shows is to become 'generic' then. You are being contradictory in your statements.