Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Graveland Memory and Destiny remake

Graveland Memory and Destiny remake
September 23, 2012, 06:47:48 PM
What do yall think of the samples on http://www.graveland.org/ ?

Re: Graveland Memory and Destiny remake
September 23, 2012, 08:11:27 PM
I liked the old album of Memory and Destiny. The heroic sound. The new sounds much the same but more polished and Lord Wind'ish. We willl see. He continues to produce interessting stuff.

September 24, 2012, 09:14:37 PM
Normally I frown on this sort of thing, but my current copy of Memory and Destiny has some sound issues, like it's a bit too muddled, and possibly even too digitally compressed. I'll be getting this for sure, since musically it's one of my favorite post-Capricornus Graveland releases. I'm also looking forward to getting this badass sweatshirt in the mail:

September 24, 2012, 11:13:43 PM
all Graveland/LORD WIND hoodies/sweaters are of top quality!  I have a Lord Wind zip-up and it is great! I highly recommend these hoods.

im interested to hear these samples, the original production always put me off.
He who fears the dark, shall never see the light
http://www.last.fm/user/Beastofsodom

September 26, 2012, 10:15:07 PM
The original marked the beginning of my disinterest in the band so hopefully this re-recording is an improvement, certainly the latest Lord Wind album was top notch.

September 27, 2012, 12:32:16 AM
The original marked the beginning of my disinterest in the band so hopefully this re-recording is an improvement, certainly the latest Lord Wind album was top notch.

Agreed.

Spears Of Heaven was a fuckin' snore.  The production, the music and the vocals just flatlined throughout the whole album.
He who fears the dark, shall never see the light
http://www.last.fm/user/Beastofsodom

October 05, 2012, 07:29:08 AM
This was my favorite Graveland release. Darken didn't like the reception so went for muddier production with forthcoming Graveland albums. I loved those albums but felt there was some missed potential. Fortunately Summoning picked up on them. Oath Bound scratched every itch I had from Memory an Destiny.

October 05, 2012, 04:53:15 PM
The muddy sound and bland vocals have driven me from every post Memory ans Destiny release. What makes Will Stronger Than Death tolerable is actually the forcefulness and power of the drums. But the incessant uuuuuggggg wuuuuuuuuggg of the vocals drags the entire experience down.
There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us There's too many of us

October 13, 2012, 07:39:01 PM
I honestly rather enjoy the "monotonous" aspects of the newer Graveland stuff. I think it forces the listener to pay less attention to aesthetic concerns and more to the songwriting/composition. I can definitely see your side of it, though; I didn't particularly care for Spears of Heaven, and none of the albums released between Creed of Iron and Fire Chariot of Destruction particularly grabbed me (admittedly, I didn't investigate them too thoroughly). Cold Winter Blades and Will Stronger Than Death are up there with his classic mid '90s stuff, though. Cold Winter Blades in particular grabbed me with its excellent synthesis of the folky/classical stuff of Lord Wind with the reinvigorated black metal-isms that reared their head from Fire Chariot onwards.

I got the new version of Memory and Destiny in the mail a couple days ago, and after listening to it all the way through a few times, I'd put it up there with the (paltry few, to be sure) black metal classics of the '00s. He balanced out the volume levels a lot more, so you can clearly differentiate what layer of music is doing what. That's not to say he's "brickwalled" it in the mastering process; the output volume is very low (especially for a newer album), and the production is very dynamic-sounding. It actually reminds me a bit of the production overhaul that took place between Altars of Madness and Blessed Are the Sick. He's opened up more layers of counterpoint by adding in new fiddle and synth melodies redolent of the previous Lord Wind release. It also sounds like there might be new layers of guitar as well, but that might just be the clearer production bringing out stuff that was obscured in the original release. This re-recording was outstanding enough to convince me to grab the remastered Creed of Iron.

February 02, 2013, 12:20:14 AM
The new version of Memory and Destiny (Pamięć i Przeznaczenie) really is special I think.  On my top 5 of all time list.

I saw recently that he has released yet another remake of this album, this time with English lyrics. I have not been able to find any samples online.  Has anyone heard this?

February 09, 2013, 05:16:43 AM
Well, at Darken isn't destroying one of his good albums (by which I mean everything up to and including "Following the Voice of Blood") by re-recording it, like most bands who do the stupid re-recording thing do.

February 17, 2013, 02:04:04 PM
The recent BURZUM and ABSURD travesties are on point here.