Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Happiness versus serenity

Happiness versus serenity
September 23, 2012, 10:56:53 PM
I think the world should be a much better place if people tried more to be serene in their life instead of being merely happy. Because you can be happy to drink a coke for exemple, but I don't think it can make you more serene.

Re: Happiness versus serenity
September 23, 2012, 11:14:52 PM
Is fulfilling some random carnal pleasure happiness at all? Until people are able to realize that happiness originates outside of their selves there is no point. Maybe Transcendental Meditation or some other new agey fad can actually make you feel serene for a while, I dont know.

September 26, 2012, 10:51:47 PM
Distortion of value-systems seems to be the primary symptom of a collapsing civilization. The person can't see beyond their own pleasure as the highest value, and will violently defend this to no end (well, if you're unlucky enough to have to drive to work maybe you see this as symbolism played out first hand). To further confuse matters, the most motivated altruists among us invariably burn out before taking idealism at gunpoint.

September 27, 2012, 02:18:38 AM
Serenity isn't a concept most people ever consider, if they even know what it means.
Which is why so few ever head in that direction.
Anyway, not enough happens, for most. It's boring being calm and balanced.
Which, of course, it isn't, at all.
But who would know that, without experiencing it?

September 27, 2012, 06:14:51 AM
It's boring being calm and balanced.

I've never understood the modern mentality concerning this. Why is it dull to have balance in life? Sure it may be less "exciting" but really that shit's superficial. You wanna know what's exciting? Having a roof over my head.

September 27, 2012, 06:56:44 AM
That's funny :)
You know what I really like?
Being under a roof - just a roof - no walls or anything, when it's pouring with rain.
There's something about that...

October 01, 2012, 05:57:13 AM
Serenity huh? That's a very feminine aspiration.
Life is war and peace is reaping the spoils.

What is best in life?

To see your enemies driven before you and to hear the lamentations of their women. That is best.

October 01, 2012, 11:41:10 AM
Drinking a coke makes you happy in part of yourself, but also makes you unhappy afterwards. Nothing wrong with enjoying good tasting food when it's good for you too.

Serenity just sounds like a particular form of happiness worth pursuing. Maybe.