Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Swedish Death Metal - The Book

Swedish Death Metal - The Book
January 18, 2007, 07:52:43 AM
Looks like fun:

http://www.myspace.com/tamarapress

SWEDISH DEATH METAL - THE BOOK WILL BE RELEASED ON JANUARY 23rd!!! - And it will be in English so all of you can read it -   In the mid-80's a small underground movement in Sweden started to emerge from small towns and suburbs. A handful of restless teenagers started to search for the most extreme music available, and a tape trading community began to grow. Eventually the teenagers picked up instruments themselves, and created what in a few years would dominate the world of extreme music - Swedish Death Metal. This is the improbable history of how it all began and evolved into the early 90's.   The book also includes a massive A-Z of Swedish Death Metal bands (about 900 entries) as well as fanzines. All in all the book is 500 pages long, and contains over 500 cool pictures. About 30 central characters of the scene have been interviewed, and some of their anecdotes are as wild as the music ever was. Still, the main focus of this research is the music. After all, the fantastic music is the greatest achievement of the Swedish Death Metal movement.  I hope you will enjoy the ride!

Re: Swedish Death Metal - The Book
January 20, 2007, 06:41:14 AM
Very interesting, I will definitely order this one!

January 20, 2007, 07:04:10 AM
A review in Heidenlarm #9 is inevitable!

January 20, 2007, 07:54:40 AM
When this preview says it will contain 900 death metal bands, I am reminded of Ricky Gervais' sketch in his stand up show Animals where he talks about the vast array of species in the animal kingdom.

This is how I remember it:

"In the animal kingdom there are 9000 species of bat!.... I don't think we need 9000 species of bat, I think a lot of that is just nitpicking. Theres probably about 8, and the rest are just discoverers filling quotas for commission.

'Whats that?'
'......Very Slightly Long Eared Bat'
'OK, and that one?'
'Podgy Bat'
'Have you just been over-feeding a Pippa squirral?'"

900 SDM bands???!

January 20, 2007, 08:42:26 AM
A review in Heidenlarm #9 is inevitable!

Definitely, and since it's in English no one will miss out out on the fun  ;D

Wolfbane

January 21, 2007, 09:17:56 AM
I think the 900 bands in the book also includes influences and such too. Hopefully it covers the norwegian and finnish scenes too wich were related to the swedish scene.

January 21, 2007, 10:21:04 AM
I think the 900 bands in the book also includes influences and such too. Hopefully it covers the norwegian and finnish scenes too wich were related to the swedish scene.

I agree.  It seems like it would have to with that quantity of bands, but my biggest fear is that it will make the mistake of being too Sweden-exclusive.

January 21, 2007, 07:51:36 PM
when has ever a good metal book came out....? however lets be optimistic.. any attention/media towards real metal and its philosophies could be beneficial.. or negative.. depends how you look at it.

GS

January 22, 2007, 06:15:03 AM
Some more info from the author that was posted at another forum:

1) The book is 500 pages, and in the format 240x170mm. If you compare it to a book like "Choosing Death", it's twice the size.

2) It's printed on thick, glossy paper to make all pictures look good (about 550 of them). This choice made it very heavy (about three times "Choosing Death"), and way over the 1 kilo weight-limit for a letter here in Sweden. In other words, I have to send it as a parcel...much more expensive. It also made the printing costs very high.

Well, all I can say in this is that I made damn sure the book LOOKS pretty good! If the content is good or not, it's up to you to decide!

http://forums.southernlord.com/viewtopic.php?t=19663&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

January 24, 2007, 11:19:12 AM
I like how all the old death metal is now getting props as kids see the new stuff is as dimensional as a photocopy.

January 28, 2007, 05:58:59 PM
Unfortunately, this is going for 55 Euro/70 US dollars per book.  Ouch...

GS

January 29, 2007, 10:41:03 AM