Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Extreme metal: An evolution?

Extreme metal: An evolution?
August 14, 2012, 02:39:29 PM
This website clearly considers death and black metal better than original heavy metal. I tend to do this to, but if you take the classics, like Black Sabbath, it is hard to find extreme metal that tops it, I would consider it at the same level with extreme metal.

I would like to know what the forum members think. I'm listening to National Acrobat

E

Re: Extreme metal: An evolution?
August 14, 2012, 06:14:49 PM
Extreme metal possesses a capability of expressing more profound feeling and thought; ideally it trancends not only the mundane, individual trifles rock obsesses about, but human vanity in general as well.
Heavy metal rarely abandons the human point of view, whereas some black metal attempts to value existence from the standpoint of eternity.

August 14, 2012, 07:47:05 PM
Considering the title "Extreme Metal: An Evolution?", may I ask what, if anything, you had in mind but did not say?

August 15, 2012, 01:11:29 PM
Black Sabbath represents the beginning of the transcendental viewpoint which extreme metal would later embrace. The moment of subconscious realization as the first hominid gazed up at the stars.

August 15, 2012, 04:14:17 PM
I've never seen deathmetal.org/anus.com as saying that extreme metal is "better" than other forms of metal.  Distinctive is probably a better way to describe it than evolved.  Extreme metal is  a clearer distillation of what most people loosely refer to as metal or what it means for a song to be metal.

August 16, 2012, 04:36:41 PM
Moringotto: I had some ideas, like the fact that extreme metal is obviously more complex, more evolved, more... I don't know. It seems like in smaller space, extreme metal can do more than Heavy Metal would in the same space, like a wall of sound. By space I mean also time.

September 18, 2012, 11:00:19 PM
extreme metal is simply more complex a medium.

it's the difference between an elementary school book and a high school novel. the former is simpler in language and structure, while the latter is more technical in both areas and is usually expressing a more detailed meaning.

October 07, 2012, 04:52:00 PM
Extreme metal, especially black metal, went most of the way towards fulfilling the potential that existed in earlier styles.  Ultimately Burzum (I suppose nowadays I have to qualify that and say 'early Burzum') is the crowning jewel of the whole genre, it delivers on the promise of metal to be truly transcendental art.