Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Enjoy the Violence?

Enjoy the Violence?
October 09, 2012, 11:29:41 PM
Violence (suffering, brutality) will always occur naturally to varying extents and it is only in our reaction to it that a measure of dysfunction can be gauged.

As I see it, a fearful, neurotic reaction would attempt to overcome this by eliminating inequality as the perceived cause.

Rejecting this while becoming increasingly frustrated by an omnipresent world of decay, one might adopt the opposite point of view, thus becoming callous and insensitive.

I think both approaches are at odds with nature and therefore incur an even greater violence.

A balanced reaction would be that the person acknowledges violence as part of larger process without necessarily embracing it; thus to seek understanding of the various mechanisms which underpin our civilization. Perhaps if enough people could understand this, the conditions which give rise to violence would significantly diminish.

Re: Enjoy the Violence?
October 10, 2012, 02:07:09 AM
scapegoats or violent entertainment like Gladiator combat or other violent combat, as well as public executions have always been effective ways to canalise the mob's violence. It's never a good solution in the long run but on short term it's the only solutions to keep the people in line.

Phoenix

Re: Enjoy the Violence?
October 10, 2012, 06:35:37 AM
Violence (suffering, brutality) will always occur naturally to varying extents and it is only in our reaction to it that a measure of dysfunction can be gauged.

As I see it, a fearful, neurotic reaction would attempt to overcome this by eliminating inequality as the perceived cause.

Rejecting this while becoming increasingly frustrated by an omnipresent world of decay, one might adopt the opposite point of view, thus becoming callous and insensitive.

I think both approaches are at odds with nature and therefore incur an even greater violence.

A balanced reaction would be that the person acknowledges violence as part of larger process without necessarily embracing it; thus to seek understanding of the various mechanisms which underpin our civilization. Perhaps if enough people could understand this, the conditions which give rise to violence would significantly diminish.

If you're suggesting that we should all become more like Spoke, then I like your suggestion.