Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Opinions.

Opinions.
October 18, 2012, 07:31:37 PM
Everybody has them. Until, possibly, they don't.
What are opinions, exactly?
Biases masquerading as preferences, and reactions to the conflicting preferences of others?
A stand-in for actual knowledge?

People often see me as opinionated, being unable to define what I am in any other way.
I submit that the lack of opinion can closely resemble opinion.
How can these two polar opposites be so similar in appearance?
How can they be accurately differentiated?

Re: Opinions.
October 19, 2012, 02:48:15 AM
Fact: Everything is an opinion.

Phoenix

October 19, 2012, 03:06:57 AM
If explanations are not given, Knowing appears like opinion, but even worse--opinion championed as truth.

I believe this, to answer your question, is how the two polar opposites can seem so similar.

I believe Knowing can be accurately differentiated from opinion via critical thinking and deduction through analysis of the context and supporting premises.

October 19, 2012, 06:19:38 AM
Everybody has them. Until, possibly, they don't.
What are opinions, exactly?
Biases masquerading as preferences, and reactions to the conflicting preferences of others?
A stand-in for actual knowledge?

I don't know about the second part of your question, but philosophically opinion might be labelled as 'belief' and opposed to 'knowledge'. Belief is a proposition (like "'x' is 'y'") that is held but which isn't necessarily justified (even though it might be true. I.e. it could be held but not for the right reasons. I might say there are 200,121,434 flies in the world, this could be correct, but I am unjustified in asserting this as a truth because I have no way of knowing it's truth). Knowledge is a proposition that is held, happens to be true, and which is justified (for example if i've actually collected every single fly and counted them). 

October 19, 2012, 05:20:35 PM
There are a lot of flies in the world.
There are too many flies in the world.
There are nine flies in the world.
There are not enough flies in the world.

There are flies in the world.

Which is knowledge? Which is opinion?
How to prove it to someone who has no concept of what a fly is?
Is proof necessary?

October 19, 2012, 05:56:37 PM
Its quite clear which ones of those at least are opinions. As for someone who doesnt know what a fly is, well they can go fuck themselves.

October 19, 2012, 06:13:01 PM
Replace fly with God.
Having no notion of It, they can go **** themselves.
I have my answer.

October 19, 2012, 07:12:28 PM
Maybe it is just me, but people who ask for proof that flies exist are just lazy. To know what a fly is, requires experience. Sure, I can demonstrate that they must exist in the natural world. I can even show you a fly's carcass, but really, what do you know? (You don't know shit actually) To read about a fly or to be told what a fly is only a portion of the picture. You don't even know what the fly really is until the little fucker flies near your ear and you have to swat it away.

Wait we were talking about God. Hmm. Well no need to change anything I guess.

October 19, 2012, 07:48:41 PM
I stroke flies. And they let me.
Wasps, too.
God. Little bits of it.
Know by knowing.
Or STFU.

October 19, 2012, 07:50:58 PM
Knowledge is internal.

In language there is a hidden manipulation and pretentiousness : You must adapt your message after the idea you have of the recievers mind.

When twisting anything in order to influence others, it can be called manipulation and lies.

Describing a fly is manipulationen while saying "look, a fly!" is just an assertion anyone around can grap and make knowledge and truth for himself if he can.

Language is a gray area between truth and lies. Be careful who you listen to lest you be lost!

Phoenix

October 19, 2012, 08:13:10 PM
Words are innately subjective, and communication by definition involves two people.

If you object to the mainstream meme of high fashion, wearing no clothes at all is far from a neutral choice.

October 19, 2012, 11:15:45 PM
Maybe it is just me, but people who ask for proof that flies exist are just lazy. To know what a fly is, requires experience. Sure, I can demonstrate that they must exist in the natural world. I can even show you a fly's carcass, but really, what do you know? (You don't know shit actually) To read about a fly or to be told what a fly is only a portion of the picture. You don't even know what the fly really is until the little fucker flies near your ear and you have to swat it away.

Who really knows what is a fly? We can know its manifestation, but its inner being or soul is a mystery. You got to know All to know what really is a fly.

October 20, 2012, 12:00:37 AM
Within each fly is All.

October 20, 2012, 12:38:27 AM

Who really knows what is a fly? We can know its manifestation, but its inner being or soul is a mystery. You got to know All to know what really is a fly.

Hence

experience > *

I guess we are on the same page here, no? Or is the whiskey finally getting to me?

October 20, 2012, 12:43:41 AM
The whiskey is getting to you.
I get told, over and over that experience counts for nothing because it is 'subjective'.
That only logical 'proof' is acceptable.
Which tells me the ones saying things like this have no experience of anything.
Life, for them, remains unlived, and unliveable, since what point would there be, since living is all about  experience?
There is no way to make any contact with such people. They have traded actual life for a theoretical life.
Communication? Can't be done.