Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Facing reality as Mother Earth created it

Re: Facing reality as Mother Earth created it
October 22, 2012, 10:49:03 AM
§Trancix exclaims boldly : "There will be some external force comming to save us. We will go just fine through the winter until the ships sail again. Let the mob chat and rave about what is below mine fine thougth world, that is so removed from the base, mundane world of mud and rain of the winter."

Then Waaaaagh said "I'm a nihilist, so I belive in no absolute values, yet I feel good about drinking these beers, so instead of gratifying the sexual desires, let us brew beers our of these cocouts. Ethanol is nutritious, and will help keep us warm as it makes the blood vessels open up in the outer layers of the body."

It was beginning getting cold, and the metalheads had not yet solved the problem that was facing them soon : A dark nigth of rainfall at temperatures not entirely pleasant.

Where was the guy to warn them, that most cases of hypothermia happens in rainy weather at temperatures about the freezing point?

One of the logical thinking materialists offered a suggestion : "It is freezing! Let us all cuddle together to each other bodies, so that our bodily heat may not escape out into the darkness......"

What did they answer in reponse?

October 22, 2012, 01:06:30 PM
"Fuck off, fag."

October 22, 2012, 03:31:04 PM
And so, sadly, they all died.

October 22, 2012, 09:17:28 PM
The logical thinking materialists was making complete sense in everything they spoke, but behind their words was hidden intentions of personal desires,

They were so fixed on the details and subconsiously motivated by their personal desires, that they completely forgot the larger picture.

October 22, 2012, 11:17:50 PM
"Fuck off, fag."

And so, sadly, they all died.

^^ Thank you guys; this is why I still post here. Hilarious.

"One of the logical thinking materialists offered a suggestion : "It is freezing! Let us all cuddle together to each other bodies, so that our bodily heat may not escape out into the darkness......" - you could always face back to back? Still warm, less lavender boy-ish. Body heat = warmth. It's not gay if we don't touch dicks, bro.

When is this tribe on the desert island going to erect my form into a statue to worship it? I'm assuming I'll probably be dead, having met some sort of outlandish end. Maybe I ALLAHU ACKBAR'd into a group of Born-Agains, I dunno something cool.

October 23, 2012, 01:00:15 AM
Unless someone is a sheltered AIDS patient bubble boy inhabiting a hermetically sealed hospital bed, we don't need some hypothetical scenario to answer any of this. Life forces us to think and act on a regular enough basis that given time and assuming our applying accurate self analysis, we have already come to understand our strengths and shortcomings. That's part of the effect of maturation, where because we can already predict most of our own responses from prior experiences, we can dismiss such fantasy as less and less useful.

October 23, 2012, 08:56:38 AM
Having spent the better part of the last year learning various 'wilderness survival' skills, I can safely say that this thread, aside from comedic value, is kind of pointless.  You don't really have time to philosophize when you're trying start a fire in the pouring rain on a cold night.  Philosophy and practical knowledge are only indirectly related, philosophy becomes more significant in its practical application when it comes to a larger collective rather than small groups or individuals.  Many people who would excel in wilderness environments probably have no knowledge of philosophy at all.

So to answer the original question, the people who will excel and survive such scenarios are those who have taken the time to learn practical knowledge for the environment in which they find themselves.  Their philosophical beliefs will have very little bearing on their ability to survive.  Of course, there is not much point preserving your physical body if your soul rots, this is another important role of philosophy/metaphysics/religion etc.

October 23, 2012, 04:43:15 PM
Good then they died before the novel went indecent.

The attitude we take to life don't always show up immidiate consequenses. The decision of Konstantin to convert to Christianity first showed it's real consequences much later, f.e.

You cannot remove philosophy too much from the actual realities of life by the use of analytic dissection without loosing some of what makes us true humans. Science and logic is mostly evil in the wrong context and should at least be removed from everywhere but the laboratory.

Bill Hopkins and §Trancix migth not be as evil as the villans of the  (very short )novel, but at least they are repressentatives of logical thinking materialists and intellectualists. And somebody has to take the role of villans.

October 23, 2012, 09:40:34 PM
Good then they died before the novel went indecent.

The attitude we take to life don't always show up immidiate consequenses. The decision of Konstantin to convert to Christianity first showed it's real consequences much later, f.e.

The example you gave relates to a larger human collective, rather than an individual, despite an individual having a considerable influence.  I still say that most people living in a scenario where their days work is survival will not have the time or desire to engage in abstract theories, though this does not preclude an innate spiritual awareness that is never 'systemised' in thought.

You cannot remove philosophy too much from the actual realities of life by the use of analytic dissection without loosing some of what makes us true humans. Science and logic is mostly evil in the wrong context and should at least be removed from everywhere but the laboratory.

Bill Hopkins and §Trancix migth not be as evil as the villans of the  (very short )novel, but at least they are repressentatives of logical thinking materialists and intellectualists. And somebody has to take the role of villans.

I've read this part several times and can conclude that I have no idea what you are trying to say.  Science and logic are morally neutral, but their hypertrophy and incorrect application have given rise to numerous evils, perhaps this is what you are getting at?

October 23, 2012, 10:50:44 PM
»Science and logic are morally neutral, but their hypertrophy and incorrect application have given rise to numerous evils, perhaps this is what you are getting at?«

Yes, in the wrong context and with the wrong application they gave rise to evils.

Humans act mostly not on reason, but on fuzzy logic, hunches and intuition, then they afterward invent rational explanations. That's just how they are, and we should not try to reshape them in an ideal way.

To take an example of how humans work : Tradition is not a logical system like an algorithm that respond in logical ways, but it is a set of values where every part gets meaning from the whole in an integral way, like in the example with the meaning of families, where no part could be taken out and explained by itself without destroying the whole.