Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Thoughts on hedonism

Thoughts on hedonism
November 01, 2012, 07:23:39 AM
Today I was thinking a lot about obesity. The one thing the many studies looking at underlying reasons for obesity have overlooked the absence of god in the past century and its contribution.  No god, no afterlife,  we decompose.  The things that matter to us only matter within us..as a gang of monkeys will have its politics, chickens will have their quarrels, as a plant will have its own cells working to ensure its reproduction. Things matter to us with a central goal of reproduction tying it all together. None of you guys are new to this so I don't need to explain that much further.
Now knowing all of that, we are aware of death and we also know that there are ways of tricking our bodies into receiving unnaturally frequent and intense doses of dopamine, which is supposed to only occur in moderation if we are aiming for health. If we eat fast food, do as many drugs as possible, and have as much deviant sex as possible, we reach the highest state we can possibly get... maximum dopamine. That's as good as it gets for a monkey. This will come at a cost of life expectancy and reproductive loss, but no body cares about you after your sexual prime. You become like a house plant or prop. People look past you at the young specimens on the sexual market place like they look at new devices so they're not really monitoring how well your health is holding up at 50 years of age. No one gives a shit.
There is a reason why conservatism goes with christianity.. even though it is liberalism which puts most of christianity's principles to use. The reason is that it is much easier to live a structured life when there is an afterlife. Without it, everything is relative including right and wrong. If a person isn't gonna breed and nurture a health family why not go ahead and do drugs/become obese/ have anal sex until you die of AIDS? really? who will judge you? The worms that eat you? The problem is obese people struggle with this indulgence of freedom vs their other desires to mate and be successful.  Those two things can't be aligned.  I say they should pick one or the other. Maybe the world has to be devided completely with a Berlin Wall type thing between the strategic functional folk and the hedonistic dysfunctional, and everyone has to be monitored to make sure they always stick to one or the other. If an aesthetic brah with a family starts doing drugs, he gets banished to the other side. If he gets scared and decides he isn't about that life, he gets sent back. What do y'all think?

Re: Thoughts on hedonism
November 01, 2012, 01:51:28 PM
Hedonism can only arise when one believes that only the physical exists.  It's impossible to be hedonistic when the transience of physicality, or of temporal experiences, is recognised.  Serenity and peace are to be achieved not through items or facts, but through understanding of the self.

November 02, 2012, 12:10:16 AM
One can be hedonistic even if he believe in a God or in afterlife if he thinks his God will forgive all is sin and that he can have an eternal banquet in paradise when he dies. It is when the notion of consequences for our actions is missing who leads to hedonism.
“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.” -Krishnamurti

''I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior.''  -Hippolyte Taine

November 02, 2012, 12:32:45 AM
Why would one want anything material when one fully knows the immaterial?  I would say that those who profess belief in God but exhibit hedonistic behaviour do not truly believe, for they do not truly know.

November 02, 2012, 01:09:03 AM
Why would one want anything material when one fully knows the immaterial?  I would say that those who profess belief in God but exhibit hedonistic behaviour do not truly believe, for they do not truly know.

YOu have a nack for killing threads. You present the facts for your position in way which can never be falsified.

November 02, 2012, 01:21:55 AM
Thank you.  Let's hope I can answer some more questions while I'm at it, then!

November 02, 2012, 01:31:09 AM
Thank you.  Let's hope I can answer some more questions while I'm at it, then!

That wasn't a complement. The best (true, justified) argument should be able to be falsified. It just won't be falsified by the facts at hand. You consistinely twist the other person's facts into a position which can never be falsified.

There is a difference between rendering your interlocuter unable to continue the conversation from their point of view and answering questions, having a conversation, or even an argument. An argument should be won by somone under terms acceptable to both parties.

November 02, 2012, 01:45:12 AM
I agree with you, except in that a great many people are so personally interwoven with their arguments that they cannot accept that they have lost fairly without suffering damage to their sense of identity.

November 02, 2012, 02:20:55 AM
Maybe an argument isn't what it's about.
Some of us put forward topics, knowledge, wisdom...
It's not to persuade, convince, sell, just to put forward for consideration.
Sharing, in its true sense.
Squawk!