Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

'One Man Metal' documentary -- Xasthur comes out the closet

Yeah. But I bet the guys making fun of Malefic think Ildjarn is cool, therefore his lifestyle is good. We don't know if Malefic walks in forests or not. We know nothing of the guy really, to pretend to know something about him from this minuscule documentary is preposterous. But I bet it's Idljarn's agressive personality that will make people think he is the cool one.  :P

WAAAAAAGH!: What bands in a similar style then would you recommend? In the style of Xasthur, Burzum, and the slow songs of Krieg?

I'm sorry, I cannot help you.

Only if you're an extrovert. If you're an introvert you will feel more and more happy as you spend less time with others.
You misunderstand the concept of introversion and extroversion. It is not a mutually exclusive black and white dichotomy, but more of a spectrum.On this spectrum, most people belong somewhere in the middle, expressing traits of both introversion and extraversion. For example, I consider myself an introvert (as I'm sure most members of Metal Hall do), and I can go a few days without having a real conversation. Longer than that, however, and I start to feel lonely, so I seek out interaction with close friends or family. By the way, interacting with a small group of people considers close to oneself is actually to be expected of an introvert in most personality theories. It's one's interactions with strangers that largely determine whether one is introverted or extroverted -- extreme extroverts are perfectly comfortable with just about any stranger, while extreme introverts will avoid strangers.

So no, being an introvert is not an excuse to be an antisocial miscreant.

For the record, I said I found all his albums in good taste, but obviously I can recognize that there is superior metal, like sacramentum's Far Away...

What happens is that I think me and the guy from Xasthur are so alike in many ways, his music is not even music to me, it's my own thoughts. I can recognize my own mind patterns in his music in a way that it is not even sound to me, it seems like myself, my mind working everyday, while walking down the street.

What bands in a similar style then would you recommend? In the style of Xasthur, Burzum, and the slow songs of Krieg?

Under Ein Blodraud Maane by Manes and the first two albums by I Shalt Become.

NHA

Thanks for posting those links! Something that occurred to me while watching, was that all three men seemed very much "in touch with their feelings" and self-reflecting, probably to a greater extent than most of society. This is probably necessary to create such powerful art, and flies in the face of the autism/Asperger's stereotype mentioned earlier. On the one hand they reject humanity, but on the other they can't escape their own.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizoid_personality_disorder

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumination_(psychology)

Both seem like very accurate diagnoses!

It's just a list of attributes that describe nothing but the diagnosis itself. Ohh, and it contains a lot of traits common to many people.

It's self referential and like most  psycology pseudo science.

Social sciences of today is vaysias and sudras trying to analyze and dissect what greater minds have sketched out in the past. Surely, no one would respect the inventers of such diagnoses as intellecuals?

By the way, who cares if these guys are cool or have mental problems(two of them sounds like they do.)

Fair enough. "Diagnoses" was the wrong word to use, and I should have instead used "Syndromes". I guess they can just be thought of as categories of personality type, both of which are probably very conducive to good art.

Is this dude on welfare because he can't cope with reality? Is anyone else bothered by this? Never knew he lives only 20 minutes away from me till today. Perhaps I should go pay him a visit. That might motivate him to look for a fucking job.

Seriously, this was just sad. Very sad. Wow.

Is this dude on welfare because he can't cope with reality? Is anyone else bothered by this? Never knew he lives only 20 minutes away from me till today. Perhaps I should go pay him a visit. That might motivate him to look for a fucking job.

Seriously, this was just sad. Very sad. Wow.

Who are you referring to?

The answer to your first and second questions - probably, and yes.

WAAAAAAGH!: What bands in a similar style then would you recommend? In the style of Xasthur, Burzum, and the slow songs of Krieg?

Xasthur is basically a composite of "repetitive" era Burzum, I Shalt Become's Wanderings, Strid's Self-Titled EP, the Manes demo's(compiled on Under ein Blodraud Maane with updated production and added, needless crap) and the LLN sound.(especially on Mutiilation's first two albums) Sortsind's Sår may another place to look. I think I may hear some Ved Buens Ende as well.

Who cares about his lifestyle?

Autistic vs hyperintuitive world

Well, he quit black metal anyways:

http://www.decibelmagazine.com/featured/nocturnal-poisoning-qa-with-the-artist-formerly-known-as-xasthur/

"...music, creating, it’s like therapy for me, and if you have a therapist who’s making you more angry and not doing you any good, you fire them and think about getting a new one."

But maybe he was never really IN it:
"The music itself only had a firm grip on me for a few years... I never learned anything from it, musically or aside from that; it never “empowered” me or anything like that. I don’t think anyone would be able to tell me what I’m missing out on by not having it in my life anymore."