Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Recommend me some Black Metal

Recommend me some Black Metal
November 24, 2012, 05:43:06 PM
Metal is a wonderful thing. I never really got all of metal at once, having a few lucky guesses which really struck a chord. I think I relate to the music on a more intuitive level and sadly, I can say the times I have best understood what the music is was when I smoked cannabis. I'm only saying this to be real.

So, I've been listening to a lot of Sacramentum's Far Away From The Sun and I think it's really top notch. From that level and style of appreciation, what other bands in the same majestic level would you recommend? I'm kind of starting over, as a total newbie on metal. But I'm already really familiar with burzum except the second album;

Re: Recommend me some Black Metal
November 24, 2012, 11:25:40 PM
I find Dissection:Live Legacy to be similar in some way to Far Away from the Sun. Early Immortal, too, is majestic in the same way.

November 24, 2012, 11:34:53 PM
I think I mean middle Immortal. Stuff like At the Heart of Winter ; Sons of Northern Darkness.

November 25, 2012, 12:01:09 AM

November 25, 2012, 01:17:55 AM
Dissection, Emperor, Frozen Shadows and Setherial are about the closest bands you will find, needless to say Far Away from the Sun is truly one of a kind.

Parasites recommendations are basically the opposite direction in which the genre evolved.

November 25, 2012, 02:24:23 AM
Dissection, Emperor, Frozen Shadows and Setherial are about the closest bands you will find, needless to say Far Away from the Sun is truly one of a kind.

Parasites recommendations are basically the opposite direction in which the genre evolved.

Agreed, "Far Away From the Sun" is in a league of its own - a masterful album.

I would add, in addition to aquarius' recommendations, Dawn (Swedish one), Sorcier Des Glaces, Unanimated, and maybe Hirilorn or old Enslaved (they're sort of similar in style, more of a folky vibe to each - not the kitchy kind, either). Other than that, there isn't much else that approaches Sacramentum's level.

November 25, 2012, 02:40:09 AM
So far , Far Away From The Sun has definently been at the bottom of all these recommendations, which is a good thing.  To indulge, i would add Dimmu Borgir's Stormblast as being in your preferred interest.

November 25, 2012, 09:39:28 AM
So far , Far Away From The Sun has definently been at the bottom of all these recommendations, which is a good thing.  To indulge, i would add Dimmu Borgir's Stormblast as being in your preferred interest.

Owing much to its roots in Swedish death metal, this is very much an album you'll either love or hate. Indeed if it weren't for the Norwegian bands basically defining the genre by renouncing Swedish death metal, this album would be far more accessible.

November 25, 2012, 07:54:37 PM
Good metal has this effect on me: It seems like it hits some kind of family archetype or something, but sadly I think a lot of it to me is connected to imagery: I don't think I would get the same feeling for this album if it weren't for the evocative cover art, remembering history from the past generations of our family tree, like dark gothic corridors and thoughts of the dark ages. If the cover art were multi-colored bunnies I think it would fuck up a bit of the experience. The music would still be great, of course.

As above, so below: I think metal musicians sometimes may put a lot of effort into imprinting landscapes/images in the sound itself, and make it. Some sounds just hit that archetype, you know, and you know you get the same, or a similar, feeling that the musician intended. Beyond music. It may not be exactly the same thing the musician felt, but that's nature I guess, variation, unending creativity.

Sadly, there is also the "epoch feel illusion": The 90's, for example, are a dear time to me. So when I hear something from the 90's this mechanism automatically makes me feel the 90's atmosphere (without me ever having listened to the song in the 90's). Of course, if the song is from the 90's it probably manifests this atmosphere anyway, so the illusion only acts like a filter, adding memories from that epoch on top of the fact that the record already has the feeling/atmosphere of that epoch. I guess people who lived the 80's would understand what I say more about the 80's.

November 27, 2012, 06:06:53 AM
The word that comes to mind on this one is 'architectural.'  And, like the cover art, it sounds like a highly stylized, ornate castle.  "Castle-like" would be the word I suppose.  I think the closest mentioned are Frozen Shadows and Immortal 'At the Heart of Winter.'  Dawn is pretty close too, and Setherial is close but I would call that one 'snowy black metal.'

November 28, 2012, 12:10:18 AM
Metal is a wonderful thing. I never really got all of metal at once, having a few lucky guesses which really struck a chord. I think I relate to the music on a more intuitive level and sadly, I can say the times I have best understood what the music is was when I smoked cannabis. I'm only saying this to be real.

So, I've been listening to a lot of Sacramentum's Far Away From The Sun and I think it's really top notch. From that level and style of appreciation, what other bands in the same majestic level would you recommend? I'm kind of starting over, as a total newbie on metal. But I'm already really familiar with burzum except the second album;

http://www.anus.com/metal/about/best_of/

Be careful with the weed though it can make pretty mediocre stuff sound decent too. Also, find your own way.

November 28, 2012, 03:53:03 AM
For flowing melodic metal in the vein of FAFtS, I would recommend Sentenced's North from Here. To be honest the album hasn't aged well for me -- the arrangements come off as unhinged (in both good and bad ways), and they lack the epic climaxes that made Sacramentum's first album so great. Still, the album is respected and you might get something out of it.

November 28, 2012, 11:21:22 AM
Thanks for all the suggestons.

Just for the record I didn't necessarily mean melodical black metal or whatever, but something that was as amazing as it. But thanks, you're right, the best of is a good start. I have not explored it all on there.