Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Why is Music so Unique and Essential?

Why is Music so Unique and Essential?
January 22, 2007, 10:23:02 PM
Music is distinguished from all the other arts by the fact that it is not a copy of the phenomenon...but a direct copy of the will itself

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Nietzsche says music can give birth to myth and tragedy, both being necessary components of a culture capable of creating and improving civilization.  

Can someone please elaborate on these ideas in a more simplistic and repetitive fashion so that I can acquire a more precise understanding of what this means?

I challenge that all forms of art have confines in which they must begin and end; and they all have potential to accommodate rational (apollo) and irrational (dionysian) forces so as to demonstrate their unified importance in the grand scheme of things (as all art of worth does).  
So again, explain to me you supreme intellects (if it is of ease for you to do so, for I could figure it out on my own if I had to) what it is that makes music unique, that gives it and only it the ability to give birth to myth and tragedy?

Re: Why is Music so Unique and Essential?
January 22, 2007, 11:23:07 PM
i do not believe music alone does this, visual art seems to have a similar effect as does other forms of art (martial arts, literature even gardening if you treat it as such)

some art may be to destroy myths while others create them, some create a sense of peace and harmony while others offer a more assertive way of life which involves necessary violence, i would say without a doubt there will be some art that goes with what you have said but im sure there would be just as much art to oppose those ideas

Azazel

January 23, 2007, 01:55:56 AM
How does this make music essential to life?

January 23, 2007, 02:38:45 AM
Think about it dude.  As an example, now we hear a person with a very good singing voice and just simply think "Wow, she/he has a very good voice" but back in the ages, they heard it and felt that there was some mystical force behind the singing.  Christians, for example, in the past believed(maybe some still do today) that music is language of the Angels.  Music probably was the basic foundations of some cultures.  So for building a civilisation, YES music, just ART in general, is very, very important. Whether music is important in terms of need as a species and its relationship with nature, many believe not.

Experiance is what really gives you answers you seek so I'll just suggest that you listen to the voice of someone like a female opera singer, not even that just the hot chick from Evanesence will do (I suggest, very arbitrarily, the song Lithium) any singing displaying beauty instead of horror like the psychos we listen to.  I mean REALLY listen to it.  Close the eyes. Resist the urge to hate it and call it wussy and mediocre.  Forget the lyrics, and really let yourself feel the voice.  Breath it in.   If you genuinally feel something, like a tingle running through your spine leading to goosebumps, THAT is when you want to imagine what people in the past, when music had been new, must of thought and believed when they heard such things.

~`~`~ Hipster Removed by DiZZy Hacker Corps ~`~`~

January 23, 2007, 03:34:30 AM
How does this make music essential to life?

well your right about that, i completely avoided the question, hopefully with this attempt i will say something relevant

i agree with fronk696 that music was a much more powerful force in older times but even today it still captivates many people and becomes a very important tool in which to express themselves

perhaps this is so because many people cannot live the lives they wish to lead and instead take up the next closest thing, whether it be music, literature, verbal story telling (in older ages)

so it could be a way for humans to relive (or live 2nd hand) the events of another  

January 23, 2007, 04:37:57 AM
Music has been such an important part of many peoples lives.  I, for one thank goodness that music was "invented"(metal being the prime blessing, of course).  I don't even want to imagine how empty my life would've been without music.  Many of you guys might feel the same.  But there are also many people out there who don't care at all about music

So I ask you guys to really imagine this when I ask you this question:

What do you think the world would be like NOW, had music NEVER, EVER been concieved?

January 23, 2007, 04:46:59 AM
i would say it would much be the same, except other forms of art that would have taken dominance

January 23, 2007, 06:29:50 AM
"Noble and manly music invigorates the spirit, strengthens the wavering man, and incites him to great and worthy deeds" -Plato

perhaps music is nothing more then a vessel in which such emotions can carry and inspire, but inspiration of the like can come from many sources

"Men grow tired of sleep, love, singing and dancing sooner than war" -Homer

But this suggests that music cannot satisfy the spirits of men without real action to be taken, not just referred to, maybe this has something to do with the church burnings  

January 23, 2007, 11:05:30 PM
No one was able to answer my question, anyone wanna give it another try?  (Not that I don't appreciate the replies though.)

What do you think the world would be like NOW, had music NEVER, EVER been concieved?

A lot less...vibrant

January 24, 2007, 02:46:41 AM
Music is distinguished from all the other arts by the fact that it is not a copy of the phenomenon...but a direct copy of the will itself

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Nietzsche says music can give birth to myth and tragedy, both being necessary components of a culture capable of creating and improving civilization.  

Can someone please elaborate on these ideas in a more simplistic and repetitive fashion so that I can acquire a more precise understanding of what this means?

I challenge that all forms of art have confines in which they must begin and end; and they all have potential to accommodate rational (apollo) and irrational (dionysian) forces so as to demonstrate their unified importance in the grand scheme of things (as all art of worth does).  
So again, explain to me you supreme intellects (if it is of ease for you to do so, for I could figure it out on my own if I had to) what it is that makes music unique, that gives it and only it the ability to give birth to myth and tragedy?

The answer is contained directly in that Schopenhauer quote.  All other arts are a copying of the external form of some thing.  You paint an object.  A play is a recreation of an event.  Music differs, in that if you write a musical piece about something, you don't try to make your song physically "look" like the topic.  Rather, you conjure the passions, the will, of the topic in aural form.

January 24, 2007, 04:36:40 AM
No one was able to answer my question, anyone wanna give it another try?  (Not that I don't appreciate the replies though.)

[/i]

That is why I think my question is important to answer your question.  Ok, I'll word it differently:

What can you IMAGINE the world (humans as a society, civilisation, as a whole) would be like IF music had never existed?

Why its so unique?  Well I'll simply ask you this:

Does a painting want to make you head-bang?

Does amazingly soul-capturing building structures make you want to swing your hips and dance?

Does music not make your very limbs react sub-consciously?

January 24, 2007, 10:33:11 AM
What can you IMAGINE the world (humans as a society, civilisation, as a whole) would be like IF music had never existed?

Are you a troll, or just retarded? The "HAIL SATAN's cab" suggests a moronic hipster.
To report any abusive, obscene, defamatory, racist, homophobic or threatening comments, or anything that may violate any applicable laws, please send an e-mail to bmouth@bellatlantic.net  with pertinent details.

January 24, 2007, 06:32:51 PM

Are you a troll, or just retarded? The "HAIL SATAN's cab" suggests a moronic hipster.

Nah, my friend Alric is a Troll, we already figured that out.  Retarded?  I don't know.  Maybe.  "MUMMY!!! I'm I retardeded?"  Oh, that's right, she's not here.  Oh well.

And I'm not suggesting anything.  My friend Satan gets drunk all the time and he ALWAYS misses his cab when we call for one.  So literally, hail the cab.  Quick.  Before it drives off again.  Seriously.

January 24, 2007, 07:08:04 PM
Back on topic...

Music doesn't use symbols. The closest it gets are leitmotifs, and those are non-linear, "prismatic" as a certain pretentious writer would say.

So music goes right into your mind, where words and visuals require interpretation.

Music is a virus.

Metal's the best virus we have.

January 24, 2007, 07:10:53 PM
i can agree with you there, music goes straight to the mind, visuals applied or lyrics added just give it a more direct focus