Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Why is Music so Unique and Essential?

Re: Why is Music so Unique and Essential?
January 24, 2007, 11:44:43 AM
It goes to more than your mind.  Music goes to your arms, legs.  Goes in your spine, in your heart.  Makes your teeth clench, your eyebrows stretch or desend.  Metal is so wonderful 'cause it's extreme.  It's the only music(I know of) with double-kick bassdrum used in such ferosity and velocity.  That double-kick alone feels like it takes command of your heart-beat.  The snare resonates in your head letting you time a single head-bang to a specific snare hit.  THAT IS JUST THE DRUMS!!!!! The other instruments do a wonderfully different effect to each and every one of us, so I won't bother with them.  Metal is essential because it separates US from THEM AND separates YOU from ME, if you get my meaning.

January 24, 2007, 04:17:41 PM
i can agree with you there, music goes straight to the mind, visuals applied or lyrics added just give it a more direct focus

They're "research materials" for figuring out WHY the music has its effects.

January 24, 2007, 04:47:56 PM
Music moves the intangible within comprehension. It's the moon over the high tide of your spirit.

January 25, 2007, 10:41:33 AM
Instead of imagine what the human race would be like without music, it would be more useful to imagine the world from a deaf persons perspective. Or imagine a blind person never being able to view works of art. People who lack a certain sense have something missing from their lives but can get more out of their other senses because they are more focused as a result.

January 25, 2007, 11:50:04 AM
Beethoven stilled enjoyed music when he became deaf, and some of his best works were written then as well

January 25, 2007, 12:57:32 PM
Beethoven stilled enjoyed music when he became deaf, and some of his best works were written then as well

He wasn't living without music... he just wasn't hearing it played.

January 25, 2007, 01:30:50 PM
he still knew what it would sound like, he could also here the vibrations caused by his piano when he removed the legs and put his head on the ground, this is exactly the same as hearing except he inst using his ear, bu he is still detecting the vibrations in the air (or in this case ground)

Maybe i should have though of that before i mentioned him, because now that i think about it could here and in a sense was not deaf

January 25, 2007, 07:16:54 PM
The answer is contained directly in that Schopenhauer quote.  All other arts are a copying of the external form of some thing.  You paint an object.  A play is a recreation of an event.  Music differs, in that if you write a musical piece about something, you don't try to make your song physically "look" like the topic.  Rather, you conjure the passions, the will, of the topic in aural form.

Ding Ding!  

January 26, 2007, 10:26:23 AM
I actually wrote a little blurb on this precise idea a year ago:

Music is the most abstract form of artistic expression, and thus, the most ambiguous.  Visual media -- film, painting, sculpure, photography etc. -- usually ultilize some sort of directly representational expressive technique.  That is, visual expression corresponds to the "real world" without being mediated through language.  As a result, visual media require less effort on the part of the audience to decode.  

Literature and music, on the other hand, have no direct correspondence to the real world.  They must be mediated by language, requiring at least one extra layer of symbolic expression that must be decoded before an audience can apprehend the artistic content (much less comprehend it).  Because a large measure of collective consensus exists regarding meaning within formal languages, literary works operate within a framework that is relatively well understood and largely codified.  Even if some writers occasionally "play" with the value and meaning of words, English remains English , Spanish, Spanish, Urdu, Urdu, regardless of the work or author.

Music exists in a far less symbolically formalized environment.  Ideally, each composer and artist develops his or her own unique musical language or dialect.  As a result, music is the most purely structuralist form of expression; ideas are encoded within a unique language or idiom that can only be interpreted through the relationships between expressive structures internal to the work itself.  In a sense, music is a language (really, languages) that consists entirely of neologisms.  While this means music can "speak" with far more spiritual precision than other media, it also buries content within many layers of ambiguity, and thus requires maximum effort on the part of would-be interpreters.

January 26, 2007, 10:37:43 AM
well im siding with my man Mahmoud, very good argument

Does this wrap it up or is there still other great ideas out there?

February 06, 2007, 12:21:27 PM
Music is something that communicates on a level below the self-conscious. You don't have to parse it. You just let it happen to you.

Like political rallies, religious events, battle or games.