Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

MEDIAFIRE DISASTER

Re: MEDIAFIRE DISASTER
December 31, 2012, 11:27:50 PM
not a clue what this thread is about since nearly every mediafire link I just checked is working and I can find no news story discussing some mass blocking of copyrighted files on mediafire

That is weird, but at the same time good news!  Last Friday I clicked on my Profanatica uploads and there was an error message that provided a link to either Amazon or iTunes informing you that you could buy the music at either of those places.  Right now I'm clicking on them again and Profanatitas de Domonatia works, but Disgusting Blasphemies Against God (DBAG) gives me that same error message.  I don't know what the hell is going on exactly, but I can tell you that my upload, itself, has not been taken down.

So listen, guys, some advice:  whatever you upload, take responsibility for checking up on it and maintaining it.  I just counted and I have over 100 uploads on Mediafire - none of them have been taken down to this day!  Uploading to several hosts is a good idea, but actually sign up for your own account.  If you don't have a physical copy of the music that you upload, what you can do is use google to find another person's upload.  Download that, then upload the RAR file into your own account, then give us THAT link rather than copying and pasting the link of where you originally downloaded it, see what I'm saying?

Test your stuff out, make sure it works.  I would rather have 5 links that perpetually work than 10 that are a coin flip.  Take responsibility for one or two bands, and go from there.  You can, in fact, find a lot of stuff using google, but don't just copy and paste links haphazardly.  The basic google search is [band name] [album name] "blogspot" but also try "mediafire" "rapidshare" or "deposit files."  Other metal forums sometimes also have request/upload threads, I would not think twice about using their uploads, but, again, download the RAR file, then upload the RAR to your account, then give us THAT link.  There was a request for something by Ildjarn here at our audiofile, I went about getting it this way by using a link from another metal forum - it is still up!

Also, if you are ripping your own stuff, do please rip at 128, in all seriousness, try to buy it if you like it.

Those are my thoughts for now, questions, concerns, ideas, strategies, feel free to PM me!

Thanks for all the uploads thus far and the help that has been given, it does not go unnoticed, but I'm sure we can do even better, going forward!

Cheers

January 03, 2013, 01:37:27 AM
Rapidshare is also really slick and easy to use.  So if this Mediafire problem is permanent, the nice thing is I can just move the RAR file to Rapidshare.  No need to re-rip which takes up most of the time.  Just a re-upload.

And if you do want to get involved, put an emphasis on A+ Metal and A+ Classical (Bach, Beethoven)

January 27, 2013, 06:39:21 PM
We have to play the hand that is dealt to us.  Megaupload is kaput.  Mediafire and Rapidshare are less than reliable.  I posted some Franz Schubert on Rapidshare and it was instantly not able to be downloaded.  More obscure stuff seems to work on Mediaifre, but I can not necessarily figure out the rhyme or reason.

Deposit Files is nice because you do not even have to sign up or register.  Just upload and copy the link.  Deposit Files is now the #1 choice.

January 27, 2013, 10:34:52 PM
Deposit Files is nice because you do not even have to sign up or register.  Just upload and copy the link.  Deposit Files is now the #1 choice.

I agree, although I've got alternates being tested here:

http://www.deathmetal.org/forum/index.php/topic,16830.msg79993.html

Please download and let's see how it turns out.

January 31, 2013, 04:50:14 AM
I have hundreds of albums from audiofile that were from megaupload. Presumably, every member of this site does as well. We don't need the original uploaders to make everything available again. The problem we all have is the huge amount of time it would take to do this. So I was considering uploading my entire music library up somewhere for my convenience. All of us have extensive collections around, I would guess, 60 gigs . All out libraries would have extensive overlap, so uploading entire libraries at once for download in their entirety would make no sense. I don't know how to solve this problem, but I have ideas. If only there was someway to make a master library accessible to all, or we can all contribute to one server, or person, who can then reupload the entire collection and have distributed over P2P network to keep it alive. Or we can all make collections of more obscure albums and upload them in large batches. With the speed of internet nowadays, it won't be much effort to delete things you already have. I also think that setting up a private anus p2p network would be a rather secure one as not many people visit this site and invitation can be based on join date and post count/quality in order to insure that you will keep the network secure. There are plenty of invitation only services, but it is easy to get an invitation. Ours would have a very restrictive invitation system. it would be very unlikely that any copyright enforcement would be aware of this network, much less infiltrate it and fine members. I don't understand p2p networks in any profound way, so is it possible that with one tracker we can share the same file that we already each have on our computers? This way if we set up a network, many torrents would have many seeds from the get go. I'm done fantasizing for now.

February 01, 2013, 06:35:54 PM

Thank you for this.  I'm in a bit of a time crunch at the time being, so I did not actually download, however all of the links worked EXCEPT:  Files2U, Streamfile, and Divshare.  So probably knock those 3 off the list of potentials.  Of the ones that worked, some simply seemed more straightforward and less disorienting than others.  I'll post again sometime this weekend with a more thorough evaluation. 

February 01, 2013, 08:34:19 PM
If only there was someway to make a master library accessible to all, or we can all contribute to one server, or person, who can then reupload the entire collection and have distributed over P2P network to keep it alive.

http://tinyurl.com/olae

February 02, 2013, 12:57:12 AM
If only there was someway to make a master library accessible to all, or we can all contribute to one server, or person, who can then reupload the entire collection and have distributed over P2P network to keep it alive.

http://tinyurl.com/olae

Wow! How long has this existed. Why not just abandon the Audiofile section altogether and just use DC++? I just got it. First person I tried to connect to only had movies though. I'm going to look at ti better later though. We need people to keep sharing.

February 03, 2013, 05:55:55 PM

Thank you for this.  I'm in a bit of a time crunch at the time being, so I did not actually download, however all of the links worked EXCEPT:  Files2U, Streamfile, and Divshare.  So probably knock those 3 off the list of potentials.  Of the ones that worked, some simply seemed more straightforward and less disorienting than others.  I'll post again sometime this weekend with a more thorough evaluation.

Here is my evaluation, and I will post a sticky in Audiofile.

All of these are good to use:
SendItz
OpenDrive
FilesAnywhere
Box
SendSpace

Good but with caveats:
DepositFiles - I still like DepositFiles because you do not have to register.  However, if there are no downloads for 30 days, the link is taken down.
WikiSend - This was slick, but what concerns me is it said "Time to live: 1 day."  I assume this is like DepositFiles where if there are no downloads, it is taken down.  Time will tell.
RapidGator - disorienting, pop-ups, slow download
Mediafire - Unreliable.  If the link happens to work, however, it's great.
Rapidshare - same as Mediafire.

Finally, this is what we need to keep in mind for Audiofile, and this is directed at everyone.  Assume that it is a resource for the theoretical newcomer to Death Metal Underground.  We want the essentials of metal and classical.  Morbid Angel, Sepultura, Massacra, Bathory, Immortal, Ildjarn, Beethoven, Bach.  We want the links to be straightforward and un-disorienting.  We want to upload the same album at multiple sites so that if one is down, the theoretical newcomer can click on a working one.  Sharing more obscure stuff amongst ourselves is fine, but that is almost a 2nd priority, at least at this point.  Thank you.

February 04, 2013, 11:23:34 PM
Well as an uploader, I definitely like all these ones where you don't have to register.  I'll continue to monitor how these work out over the coming weeks.

February 05, 2013, 02:38:19 AM
There's probably a reason they chose those, like longevity of the downloads.

I keep finding stuff on Mediafire that has been there for several years. The distinction seems to be this: don't upload new releases, and don't have someone click the complaint button.

If I were trying to get people to comply with some kind of plan, and not chaotically do what is convenient as is their tendency, I would list four upload services and suggest that uploads go to all four. Once you've uploaded to one, it's easier to upload to another three at that moment than at any other time, and it guarantees longevity.

Finally, I might suggest that we put this in the FAQ instead of a separate patched-on sticky-note topic.

February 07, 2013, 03:40:14 AM
Finally, I might suggest that we put this in the FAQ instead of a separate patched-on sticky-note topic.

I second this

E

March 19, 2013, 08:30:17 PM
Not sure if this is discussed already, but availability of uploads may have to do with meta-info databases like Gracenote. Ripping progs consult online databases for track titles, artists, etc. Files on e.g. Mediafire are crawled by bots that consult the database again; if matching metadata for copyrighted albums are found, they take down the file.

I'll upload some and see what happens when I alter metadata or add it myself.

March 21, 2013, 11:03:39 PM
Not sure if this is discussed already, but availability of uploads may have to do with meta-info databases like Gracenote. Ripping progs consult online databases for track titles, artists, etc. Files on e.g. Mediafire are crawled by bots that consult the database again; if matching metadata for copyrighted albums are found, they take down the file.

I'll upload some and see what happens when I alter metadata or add it myself.

I figured it was something like what you describe.  That sounds like a worthwhile strategy/experiment.  Let us know what you find out.