Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Solos

Re: Solos
January 12, 2013, 01:41:35 PM
So what are some examples of otherwise good songs with poor or overwrought solos? Within the canon of the best of metal I mean. I struggle to think of examples.

It can be hard to find fault in any aspect of top-tier material for the very fact that it is top-tier and that with whatever faults exist, it still succeeds overwhelmingly.

So I guess I'm only aiming for a general observation from a primarily compositional standpoint. My main objection would be to the verse-chorus song structure which typically employs soloing to tie off loose ends before repeating the opening riffs to close a piece. It's not necessarily bad just outmoded in its stuplicity.

The other appoach is to put some thought into the key melodic content while improvising over it accordingly. The example of Varathron is well apt and I would add to it Euronymous' classic Freezing Moon solo. Unfortunately it still kind of fits into the neat little 'time for a solo' mentality.

The example left to us on Hvis lyset tar oss sees leads/solos thoroughly augment every element of riffing in song construction. Needless to say that album represents the farthest evolutionary point of the genre in almost any other element one could think of. Darkthrone's A Blaze ... era had similar potential.

January 12, 2013, 01:57:49 PM
Lastly, even completely messy and seemingly random soloing as found in Blasphemy or early Beherit can serve its purpose perfectly. That is to say, moreso as 'noise' and 'effect' than melody. But it's necessary to give that otherwise unattainable effect of a raging stormwind in conception.

January 13, 2013, 12:13:49 AM
Even those can sometimes have flickers of forms dropped in between. I think that enhances the intended effect.

January 13, 2013, 08:07:59 PM
Lastly, even completely messy and seemingly random soloing as found in Blasphemy or early Beherit can serve its purpose perfectly. That is to say, moreso as 'noise' and 'effect' than melody. But it's necessary to give that otherwise unattainable effect of a raging stormwind in conception.

There is undoubtedly an intended effect. In the case of bands like Slayer or Suffocation, the perceived messiness of their solos is 100% coordinated and they replicate it flawlessly live.

Solos are obsolete, or at least the 1980's rock/metal/speed metal kind. In a way, they were replaced by breakdowns in the 90's. Personally, I don't like sloppy solos, or when unskilled metal/punk guitarists try to pull them off. Wouldn't it be better to just have a really strong lead/melody and quit trying to show off?

January 17, 2013, 09:27:58 PM
Nicolo(someone tell me how to make accents on keyboard) Paganini's caprices are fucking excellent. Hessians round the world wish they could improvise with their music as best as Paganini does in concert, and with a single instrument does he extrapolate past his finished work!
Your total consumer expenses come to 42 children, 7 virgin women, and 6 first born males. Thank you for shopping at Sanctity. Enjoy a bewildered day.

All as nothing. Do for die. Through knowledge you can't decide.

January 19, 2013, 10:00:43 PM

There is undoubtedly an intended effect. In the case of bands like Slayer or Suffocation, the perceived messiness of their solos is 100% coordinated and they replicate it flawlessly live.

Solos are obsolete, or at least the 1980's rock/metal/speed metal kind. In a way, they were replaced by breakdowns in the 90's. Personally, I don't like sloppy solos, or when unskilled metal/punk guitarists try to pull them off. Wouldn't it be better to just have a really strong lead/melody and quit trying to show off?

This explains my stance better than I explained my stance.  It's never the solo that is particularly memorable to me, but the various melodies, the foundation and fundamentals.  Celtic Frost has some good soloing, but you hardly even notice it because their riffs are so strong.
His Majesty at the Swamp / Black Arts Lead to Everlasting Sins / Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism / Oath of Black Blood / Privilege of Evil / Dawn of Possession / In Battle There is No Law / Thousand Swords / To Mega Therion

November 16, 2013, 10:48:10 PM
Just wanted to bump this to say I really like greg mackintosh on the first Paradise Lost album, really good heavy metal style but unique solos. I definitely disagree that they are obsolete, they could use being integrated as phrase more though. But even old school leads are great. I mean, I dont think I would enjoy Sickening Art as much without its wild, soaring, menacing, exuberant solo.