Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Black Metal with Death Metal vocals

Black Metal with Death Metal vocals
December 26, 2012, 11:08:47 PM
I really dislike the vocals of Black Metal. A few use it to good effect, such as Burzum or Gorgoroth, but for the most part I find it obnoxious. I've been trying to get more into Black Metal lately, as I'm more of a Death Metal guy. Can any of the more Black Metal oriented users here reccomend some bands with a deeper vocal style? The only band that comes to mind is Blasphemy, which I'm already intimately familiar with.

Re: Black Metal with Death Metal vocals
December 27, 2012, 02:02:26 AM
Aeternus comes to mind.

December 27, 2012, 06:13:50 AM
Graveland has a restrained and to my ears tasteful vocal approach, eschewing cheesy theatrics and opting to LARP instead. His later works employ a deeper spoken growl which might work for you. Here's a link to Fire Chariot of Destruction from, uhh, Fire Chariot of Destruction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UnZ-LZN1EE

Edit - Also Varathron, Belial and Molested.

December 27, 2012, 03:27:20 PM
How about Averse Sefira, or Darkthrone?  They're at the "low" end while still certainly being Black Metal vocals.  Absu occasionally toy with deeper vocals, and Proscriptor's voice is similar to Vikernes's or King Diamond's in that it's pretty fucking cool once you're used to it (however quickly that might take).

December 27, 2012, 10:49:38 PM
Graveland has a restrained and to my ears tasteful vocal approach, eschewing cheesy theatrics and opting to LARP instead. His later works employ a deeper spoken growl which might work for you. Here's a link to Fire Chariot of Destruction from, uhh, Fire Chariot of Destruction.

Good description.  The voice of Graveland is the voice of your dead ancestors urging you into war for battles of pure prestige.

December 28, 2012, 02:51:08 AM
beherit is an obvious one.

Not exactly black metal antiquity, but Void Meditation Cult have a beherit thing going on with their music that is most compelling as a whole.

December 28, 2012, 11:45:04 AM
I'm sorry but Gaahl's asphyxiating-duck screech is not used "to good effect". If you can deal with that then its probably just a matter of getting used to it. Were you alright with Death Metal vocals to start with?

December 28, 2012, 12:29:52 PM
Surely you haven't forgotten about Pest and Hate, fallot?  Gorgoroth didn't always suck ; )

December 28, 2012, 05:38:36 PM
Try Bethlehem, Varathron, and early Rotting Christ. Masterful NWOBHM with death metal vocals but considered black metal in canon.

For "traditional sounding" black metal, Hate Forest is all that really comes to mind.

Vocals are a superficial to the music as a whole. If you find yourself hung up on them, then perhaps the music just doesn't appeal to you.

December 29, 2012, 06:15:26 AM
How about Averse Sefira, or Darkthrone?

Of the three black metal era Darkthrone albums I've listened to, I find each has a different vocal approach. A Blaze In the Northern Sky and Under A Funeral Moon are somewhat similar, containing particularly odd shrieks (although I wouldn't call them all that low), but Transylvanian Hunger introduces the sort of growls you might want. The differences in vocals might be an artifact of the band's evolving production values; I've heard Nocturno Culto did most of the vocals on classic-era Darkthrone material, but I can't confirm this.

December 29, 2012, 06:17:50 PM
Immortal would be another obvious pick.  They're also my favorite band ever, period.

December 29, 2012, 08:49:14 PM
How about Averse Sefira, or Darkthrone?

Of the three black metal era Darkthrone albums I've listened to, I find each has a different vocal approach. A Blaze In the Northern Sky and Under A Funeral Moon are somewhat similar, containing particularly odd shrieks (although I wouldn't call them all that low), but Transylvanian Hunger introduces the sort of growls you might want. The differences in vocals might be an artifact of the band's evolving production values; I've heard Nocturno Culto did most of the vocals on classic-era Darkthrone material, but I can't confirm this.

Nocturno Culto does the growls all the way through to Panzerfaust, at which point I think Fenriz might have started to have a bit more input (you can hear Fenriz quite clearly on Blaze, though, with lines like "it's the true face of evil", "Nocturno Culto!", or the ever relevant "OUGH").

January 02, 2013, 12:11:37 PM
Try Bethlehem, Varathron, and early Rotting Christ. Masterful NWOBHM with death metal vocals but considered black metal in canon.

I agree.

and ADD to VON & PROFANATICA. (ARCHGOAT  - KTHRSS). in my mind now.

January 03, 2013, 02:59:28 AM
I would consider vocals an important compositional element that are no more or less relevant than the function of other instruments within the composition. It really comes down to what the spirit of the composition requires.

Mastery of composition, using the form to convey that spirit, is probably the one universal thing that makes an album great. By that reasoning, you will find all great works have a unique voice and a vocal style all of their own.

The vocals on early Burzum, for example, are in perfect compliment of the written material, production aesthetic and above all underlying spirit of the work. To have Craig Pillard re-record the vocal track would surely sound interesting, but would probably miss that spirit.

In my opinion, Burzum - From the depths of Darkness also missed the spirit as did that early compilation of Darkthrone covers.
I might also add Eliahu Inbal conducting anything by Bruckner.