Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

About That Overpopulation Problem

About That Overpopulation Problem
January 19, 2013, 11:24:37 PM

Re: About That Overpopulation Problem
January 20, 2013, 02:26:31 PM
You think that's wild? Check this site out.

http://overpopulationisamyth.com/

^ I have no idea what these folks are smoking, but I want some.

Eventually, the population of the Earth will decrease, but not due to us evening ourselves out or anything. No, it'll decrease because of lack of resources and widespread famine.

January 20, 2013, 02:52:31 PM
According to the mouse utopia experiment, the population should reach a certain point and then decline rapidly by the cause of passivity and apathy.

http://www.cabinetmagazine.org/issues/42/wiles.php

January 20, 2013, 05:56:57 PM
There isn't one?

???

This is scary news. We need to explore space so we can find an alien life form and invite them over to our planet as immigrant workers. We need young people to take care of our elderly! And if there are no young people then we'll have to use aliens! I'm sure that if the aliens have a different culture we can just make some adjustments to accommodate them.

January 20, 2013, 06:56:48 PM
http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Global_Economy/ML13Dj05.html

Germany and germans are fucked. This is a total disaster, our great-grandchildren will see a Germany which has lost its very essence. Worse than a world war, global recession or natural disasters, this is slow suicide. The rest of the world will follow, but at least there is hope for a lot of them. What is required to change this trend is so unpalatable, so anti-modern, that even the ones who know what is wrong would reject it. The hint is in the Slate article:

"We know how to dampen excessive population growth—just educate girls."

January 21, 2013, 12:57:56 AM
The problem isn't so much how much reproducing is happening but who is reproducing. The likes of Europe and Japan are on their deathbeds.

January 22, 2013, 07:11:36 AM
I believe that overpopulation is the most in-your-face example of the failure of modernity by far. I believe even morons can understand why. It is the wildest manifestation of the moderns' fixation with quantity not quality (in a universe that most clearly values quality more). In a functional universe like this, it is as if you're saying every personal computer has the same value. Well Mr Modern, even your capitalist system neglects this view. Pathetic.

Another thing about overpopulation is that it proves that technology (if it's gone too far) might become destructively dysgenic and apocalyptic. I don't know, maybe technology is not inherently bad, but there has to be a certain degree of genetic/cultural evolution of the life forms themselves before they are worthy of handling such a level of technology.

This is scary news. We need to explore space so we can find an alien life form and invite them over to our planet as immigrant workers. We need young people to take care of our elderly! And if there are no young people then we'll have to use aliens! I'm sure that if the aliens have a different culture we can just make some adjustments to accommodate them.

;D

January 23, 2013, 10:01:13 PM
Eventually, the population of the Earth will decrease, but not due to us evening ourselves out or anything. No, it'll decrease because of lack of resources and widespread famine.

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/80382/food-shortage-may-hit-world.html

The problem isn't so much how much reproducing is happening but who is reproducing. The likes of Europe and Japan are on their deathbeds.

Like most issues affecting life in the modern world, it’s a multifaceted problem. Because we can only guess at what might become if things continue as they are, and because any given set of statistics can easily be rerouted into supporting totally contrasting points of view, it really comes down to one guess against the other. This inability to agree on anything as a civilization let alone act is like mental illness on mass.

I believe that overpopulation is the most in-your-face example of the failure of modernity by far. I believe even morons can understand why. It is the wildest manifestation of the moderns' fixation with quantity not quality (in a universe that most clearly values quality more). In a functional universe like this, it is as if you're saying every personal computer has the same value. Well Mr Modern, even your capitalist system neglects this view. Pathetic.

Though many of the extreme left gravitate toward environmentalism I believe this is merely to weaken its resolve while those who openly downplay environmental concerns are usually geared towards purely economic interests.

Another thing about overpopulation is that it proves that technology (if it's gone too far) might become destructively dysgenic and apocalyptic. I don't know, maybe technology is not inherently bad, but there has to be a certain degree of genetic/cultural evolution of the life forms themselves before they are worthy of handling such a level of technology.

Our problems are multifaceted as I say. The thing to keep in mind is necessity. It applies to most things.

January 10, 2014, 01:12:45 AM
Three quarters of the world's big carnivores - including lions, wolves and bears - are in decline, says a new study.

A majority now occupy less than half their former ranges according to data published in the journal, Science.

The loss of this habitat and prey and persecution by humans has created global hotspots of decline.

The researchers say the loss of these species could be extremely damaging for ecosystems the world over.

The authors say that in the developed world, most carnivorous animals have already succumbed to extinction.

When they looked at 31 big meat eaters, they found that they were under increasing pressure in the Amazon, South East Asia, southern and East Africa.

"Globally, we are losing our large carnivores," said lead author Prof William Ripple from Oregon State University.

"Their ranges are collapsing. Many of these animals are at risk of extinction, either locally or globally."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25675002

There is human overpopulation and most of it is good for not much at all.