Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Classical music on deathmetal.org

Classical music on deathmetal.org
February 08, 2013, 03:08:00 AM
The Death Metal Underground (DMU) is proud to present the Death Melodies Series (DMS).

The primary function of the DMS is to expose metalheads to Classical Music that they might enjoy.

http://www.deathmetal.org/news/death-melodies-series-johann-sebastian-bach/

This continues a long tradition here at the DMU:

http://www.deathmetal.org/article/classical-music-for-metal-fans/

Re: Classical music on deathmetal.org
February 08, 2013, 03:20:51 AM
Very cool. A classical primer for metal ears. I'll be pointing some people this way.

February 08, 2013, 05:30:05 AM
This is a great idea. I'll alert others to this as well.
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

February 09, 2013, 02:15:07 AM
HATE, because you need it:

MAIN

- Equally worthwhile info/music can be culled from YouTubing "Bach". Perhaps doing miniseries for certain composers by genre (cantata, concerto, etc), which would allow for more lesser-known but quality pieces to be covered.

- there are no substantive connections made to metal, apart from the use of "brutal" adjectives. Writing could be somewhat more fleshed out or removed.

TANGENTIAL

- the opinion tidbits - critiquing Gould, commending the Stokowski transcription - are silly
> I am not a fan of Gould (and don't find the common recognition of his recordings as "definitive" as justified), but I - or any discerning individual with a computer - can confirm that the assertions regarding his motivation are not fully accurate and needlessly slandering. He was a very good musician, and rather eccentric (quite different from the implications of "hipster").
> the "Bach never wrote 'melodies' for piano" remark is off the mark as well. One needn't go any further than wikipedia:
Silbermann and Bach (from Gottfried Silbermann)

The 18th-century musician Johann Friedrich Agricola tells a story about the relationship of Silbermann, Johann Sebastian Bach, and pianos. After Silbermann had completed two instruments, Agricola says, he showed them to Bach, who replied critically, saying that the tone was weak in the treble and the keys were hard to play. Silbermann was stung and angered by the criticism, but ultimately took it to heart and was able to improve his pianos (exactly how is not known, but it may have been the result of Silbermann's encountering Cristofori's most mature instruments). The improved Silbermann pianos met with Bach's "complete approval" ("völlige Gutheißung"), and indeed a preserved sales voucher dated May 8, 1749 shows that Bach acted as an intermediary for Silbermann in the sale of one of his pianos.

It has also been proposed that the Ricercar from Das Musikalisches Opfer was improvised on one of Frederick the Great's pianos. Throughout much of the 18th century, distinctions of instrumentation among keyboards were often not severe. Beethoven's "Pathetique" sonata was originally advertised as a sonata "pour le clavecin ou le Piano-forte" - clavecin being a more general term for keyboard, but likely designating the harpsichord.

February 09, 2013, 03:29:38 PM
This is wonderful. I agree with Annihilation about the lack of substantive connection to a degree, but the Philosophy/FAQ section does expand on it already. I also think the focus should be broad and personality based to begin with (as it is in the current post) rather than by form/genre. It is deathmetal.org after all, not deathmetalohandclassicalmusictoo.org

February 10, 2013, 10:22:35 AM
Cant deny a connection to metal this time. Marin Marais is fucking metal!

March 12, 2013, 05:31:48 PM
This is a great idea. I (like a lot of people I am sure) Have had a bit of a time finding classical music that I can relate to. At this point I only really like Erik Satie.

March 15, 2013, 03:25:14 AM
Any plans to continue this series? I'm a big fan myself, bought a copy of Marais' Suitte d'un Goût Etranger because of it a while back.

March 15, 2013, 05:18:46 PM
I just realized how trollish my last post seemed....but regardless I think the length of older compositions is the only thing I have trouble relating to, nonetheless looking forward to the next series.

March 15, 2013, 10:26:23 PM
 ;D