Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Canada almost ready for progressive society but racists ruin it for everyone

Canada almost ready for progressive society but racists ruin it for everyone

The Bank of Canada considered celebrating gay marriages, black hockey players, and turban-wearing RCMP officers on its new plastic bank notes — but eventually nixed them all in favour of the more traditional images of a train, a ship and a monument.

Internal documents show that focus groups and a Bank of Canada team reviewed a series of currency images intended in part to reflect the diversity of Canada’s population, particularly the country’s varied ethnic character.

Images that were considered included a Chinese dragon parade, the swearing-in of a new citizen, Toronto’s annual Caribbean festival, children of different ethnic backgrounds playing hockey or building a snowman, and a person in a wheelchair playing basketball.

The images that were finally approved for the reverses of the five new bills — the last two denominations, the $5 and $10, are being released later this year — lack reference to Canada’s diversity of ethnicity, culture and colour.

The final images that were chosen all appear in the original 2008 lists. The $5 note will show robotic arms built for space programs and the $10 note, a train. The $20 note depicts the Vimy Ridge memorial in France, while the $50 has a picture of an icebreaker. The Queen and prime ministers occupy the fronts of the notes.

An earlier, uncirculated version of the $100 note, illustrating the theme of medical innovations, showed a female medical researcher with distinctly Asian features. But later focus groups raised questions about her ethnicity, prompting the bank to erase the Asian features in favour of a Caucasian-looking woman.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/gay-marriage-turban-wearing-mountie-nixed-as-images-on-new-bills-documents/article8425723/

Damn you racist Canadians! Damn you all to hell!

All of our political will goes into grabbing this warm, fuzzy, low hanging peachy fruit for another sweet bite of inclusion. Our Boomer leadership is insular, in denial, senile, blind, deaf and old. By contrast, a civilization with its best days ahead will instead strive to fix shared problems or overcome daunting endeavors. What a waste even as the young people applaud this nonsense it is this very behaviour that robs them of their future.

For Cthulhu's sake, they're JUST BANK NOTES. CURRENCY. WHY IS THEIR APPEARANCE EVEN AN ISSUE (so long as there aren't dicks all over it or anything).

Plus everyone knows most black dudes don't play hockey.

Gah, what a waste of energy and resources.

They didn't even strive to be ultra progressive - just edgy-progressive, business as usual. An ultra progressive would make the new currency out of recycled tampons with a chromatic hologram security feature showing a 3d bust of some secular prophet like Herr Marx, Kurt Cobain, or Justin Beiber.

They didn't even strive to be ultra progressive - just edgy-progressive, business as usual. An ultra progressive would make the new currency out of recycled tampons with a chromatic hologram security feature showing a 3d bust of some secular prophet like Herr Marx, Kurt Cobain, or Justin Beiber.

I was thinking money should have pictures of starving Africans on it. Just like packs of cigarettes should have pictures of lung cancer and stuff on them. People need to be aware of the harmful effects of everything they do, they need to be reminded of their guilt.

I like the idea of using recycled tampons but I'd like it even more if it was possible to use the money as a condom, then wash it and use it as money again. This way people will always have contraceptives when they need them and we can finally defeat the AIDS epidemic that has claimed the lives of so many of our beloved celebrities. By switching to plastic money at least Canada is paving the way towards a global rubber currency.

All hardcore progressives are eunachs. For the average progressive, a dollar bill possesses sufficient surface area to cover their phallus and then some. An elastic band is all that is needed and can easily be provided by UHC.

A review posted at Google books:

In this engrossing and highly controversial philosophy of history, Spengler describes how we have entered into a centuries-long "world-historical" phase comparable to late antiquity. Guided by the philosophies of Goethe and Nietzsche, he rejects linear progression, and instead presents a world view based on the cyclical rise and decline of civilizations. He argues that a culture blossoms from the soil of a definable landscape and dies when it has exhausted all of its possibilities.

We're there now.

For Cthulhu's sake, they're JUST BANK NOTES. CURRENCY. WHY IS THEIR APPEARANCE EVEN AN ISSUE (so long as there aren't dicks all over it or anything).
What do you mean why is their appearance an issue? Everything the government makes or does is a reflection of the nations character, or at least it's supposed to be.

Also, the ancient Romans had coins featuring a dick with wings for use in brothels.

What do you mean why is their appearance an issue? Everything the government makes or does is a reflection of the nations character, or at least it's supposed to be.

Also, the ancient Romans had coins featuring a dick with wings for use in brothels.

HAH! That's something else.

Perhaps whatever the government does is SUPPOSED to be indicative of a nation's character, but my point was simply that the appearance of bank notes is of extremely low priority, and this much of a hooplah should not be made over it.

Low hanging fruit. They do this with school kids where all those who show up and take the test not only pass but may get achievement ribbons. They do this with employees who if they show up as scheduled and go through the usual motions like everyone else, are candidates for recognition.

Unexceptional is rewarded because the exceptional, who get overlooked, are problematic for attaining total inclusiveness within a given organizational structure. The naturally exceptional have to pursue isolated endeavors and are consequently considered eccentric, enigmatic and unsociable quiet types.

That is some of the side effect of implementing a transactional leadership model everywhere. Some people call it bureaucratic organization.

Perhaps whatever the government does is SUPPOSED to be indicative of a nation's character, but my point was simply that the appearance of bank notes is of extremely low priority, and this much of a hooplah should not be made over it.

With that attitude you'll never win any wars.

Ok so seriously: a liberal market research firm is hired for nearly half a million dollars to think of what cool typical Canadian things they could put on money so they'll make Canadians feel proud of their country. But instead of starting an informative website and having a referendum so Canadians can vote on it (and vote for Slayer on 10 dollar bills) they have "focus-group discussions and workshops with Canadians in six cities" which seems to paraphrase as "we held a meeting at a local gay rights club and 12 lesbians and 3 members of antifa showed up" So far the success of liberal democracy...

After the documents are obtained by the press and a shitstorm begins to brew Bank of Canada Governor Mark Carney makes a public apology and they back peddle the whole thing. They drop all the radical ideas and go for the most conservative ones to please the public. It seems at the last moment they decided it might be a bad idea to force this on the Canadian people at this time. Maybe next time, eh? So far the success of liberal democracy...

And let's not ignore the following considerations:

Proposals to depict “safe cities” and Canada’s so-called “no gun” culture were rejected because the theme might not endure over the lifetime of the bank notes, e.g., cities might become more crime-ridden.

But banning guns leads to less crime! That's why we need to ban guns everywhere! This is a fact! - No, apparently it isn't.

Images that included snow “may become more controversial should global warming progress,” and are best avoided, said some.

But there is no global warming! It's all a hoax! This is a fact! - No, apparently it isn't.

Pictures of wind turbines and solar panels were rejected because “clean energy is a controversial concept.”

But wind turbines and solar panels are the only way we'll be able to stop global warming! We need clean energy otherwise we're doomed! This is a fact! - No, apparently it isn't.

So far the success of liberal democracy...

With that attitude you'll never win any wars.

Ok so seriously: a liberal market research firm is hired for nearly half a million dollars to think of what cool typical Canadian things they could put on money so they'll make Canadians feel proud of their country. But instead of starting an informative website and having a referendum so Canadians can vote on it (and vote for Slayer on 10 dollar bills) they have "focus-group discussions and workshops with Canadians in six cities" which seems to paraphrase as "we held a meeting at a local gay rights club and 12 lesbians and 3 members of antifa showed up" So far the success of liberal democracy...

After the documents are obtained by the press and a shitstorm begins to brew Bank of Canada Governor Mark Carney makes a public apology and they back peddle the whole thing. They drop all the radical ideas and go for the most conservative ones to please the public. It seems at the last moment they decided it might be a bad idea to force this on the Canadian people at this time. Maybe next time, eh? So far the success of liberal democracy...

And let's not ignore the following considerations:

Proposals to depict “safe cities” and Canada’s so-called “no gun” culture were rejected because the theme might not endure over the lifetime of the bank notes, e.g., cities might become more crime-ridden.

But banning guns leads to less crime! That's why we need to ban guns everywhere! This is a fact! - No, apparently it isn't.

Images that included snow “may become more controversial should global warming progress,” and are best avoided, said some.

But there is no global warming! It's all a hoax! This is a fact! - No, apparently it isn't.

Pictures of wind turbines and solar panels were rejected because “clean energy is a controversial concept.”

But wind turbines and solar panels are the only way we'll be able to stop global warming! We need clean energy otherwise we're doomed! This is a fact! - No, apparently it isn't.

So far the success of liberal democracy...

Agreed on the gun and global warming points. I don't agree on the energy point entirely. We need clean energy otherwise doom approaches. Wind turbines and solar panels are but two ways we can accomplish this. There are other options.

With my attitude, I'll win wars, because I don't care about inconsequential nonsense like pictures on bank notes enough that I make it this large of an issue. Big issues first (the environment, dealing with parasites, etc). So when my army burns down a village in your country, I do hope you'll save the quilts and good china that your nation's emblem is on.

With my attitude, I'll win wars, because I don't care about inconsequential nonsense like pictures on bank notes enough that I make it this large of an issue. Big issues first (the environment, dealing with parasites, etc). So when my army burns down a village in your country, I do hope you'll save the quilts and good china that your nation's emblem is on.

So you're the commander of an army now? Wow, I'm impressed...

Well why won't you help fight racism with me, my friend? Your attitude tells me that all Canadians are racists who don't care about their nation's progressive agenda. We need something that will truly unite all citizens of earth on a single bank note. For instance a Chilean catholic, a liberated Cuban, an aryan German and an American pro-wrestler standing together and pointing their guitars towards the camera like a gun.

So you're the commander of an army now? Wow, I'm impressed...

Well why won't you help fight racism with me, my friend? Your attitude tells me that all Canadians are racists who don't care about their nation's progressive agenda. We need something that will truly unite all citizens of earth on a single bank note. For instance a Chilean catholic, a liberated Cuban, an aryan German and an American pro-wrestler standing together and pointing their guitars towards the camera like a gun.

Are you just playing the butthurt liberal as a troll? 'cause to be honest it's working rather effectively.

Racism is a problem, yes. But is it as important as the well being of the country as a whole? Not necessarily.