Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

My Bloody Valentine - MBV

My Bloody Valentine - MBV
February 17, 2013, 02:25:43 AM
Iíve been listening to this intently for the past week and can honestly say itís the best album Iíve heard this year and probably the best non-metal album in the last decade. At the very least itís well worth a listen if you were even remotely a fan of Loveless.

Initial impressions:

Itís an aesthetic continuation from Loveless. A bit cleaner, more spacious but still very raw analogue sounding production.

Song structures are like expanded, drawn out versions of those found on Loveless

Less pop structure. More of a conscious approach to ambient music (in a style vaguely reminiscent of the other great shoegaze band, Slowdive).

Taken as a whole the album isnít quite as powerful as Loveless, but certain songs are in fact superior.

They still have the wonderful celtic/gaelic melodic idiom.

Ambient hallucinogenic approach to drumming forms the support structure for multiple layers of guitars, synth and noise.

The latter half of the album loses strength by excessive experimentation. It would have been cool to conclude the journey with an epic piece that recaps the first half of the album.

Re: My Bloody Valentine - MBV
February 21, 2013, 08:14:26 AM
think chunks of this album are absolutely brilliant - and strongly disagree with what you said about the latter half of the album as I feel that is where Shields really distinguishes himself.  there are moments of ponderousness, and there will be criticism from hipster circles that the band didn't "evolve" enough, but overall Shields delivered something credible.

to me this song is what every recent black metal band has been trying (and failing miserably) to achieve:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oXJus1ajIU

February 23, 2013, 07:14:28 AM
Love is dead. Any poor band with that name is spewing emo all over my shorts.

Post-links-disorder.

Thanks Humanicide, give me , uhm, mone more minute thanks, just getting into it, thnaks.. Huhm, actually prefered more of the first seond. Fairly interesting. Women are beautiful, YES.
Your total consumer expenses come to 42 children, 7 virgin women, and 6 first born males. Thank you for shopping at Sanctity. Enjoy a bewildered day.

All as nothing. Do for die. Through knowledge you can't decide.

March 02, 2013, 01:07:04 AM
strongly disagree with what you said about the latter half of the album as I feel that is where Shields really distinguishes himself.

I might be wrong about the second half and your're certainly not the first person I've come across who thinks this. Actually I can't say it's bad, just a bit noisier and bouncier than one might predict, more beat-centric. I guess the two halves make sense when viewed in context of the intended vinyl release.

March 10, 2013, 06:39:57 PM
No..  :P
"Death is nothing to us, since when we are, death has not come, and when death has come, we are not" - Epicurus

"Keep this in mind: I want to burn the world." - Eric Harris

April 02, 2013, 01:16:10 AM
I saw these guys and gals play live recently and it was unreal. Most of the setlist was from Loveless. They only played one song off of MBV. It was extremely loud. Felt like being inside a cocoon or a tornado, one or the other.