Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Passive-Aggression

Passive-Aggression
March 27, 2013, 01:08:18 AM
What is passive aggression?

It is the opposite of honesty: instead of stating what you think, you say something provocative but from a passive (non-attacking) position, hoping to provoke the other party into a more extreme reaction so you can play the victim.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive-aggressive_behavior

Re: Passive-Aggression
March 27, 2013, 01:17:24 AM
Hmmm.
That would explain - sort of - why certain uberly-aggressive internet-types tend to accuse me of being passive-aggressive. Whereas nobody ever has, face to face.
I've been practising honesty for so long that I do it in my sleep.
In an online confrontation I prefer to remain calm, since it is beyond my abilities to punch out dickheads over a wifi network.
Calm, in the face of ranting abuse, is so rare, that it gets interpreted as passive-aggression.
All becomes clear.

March 27, 2013, 01:33:38 AM
People on the internet make many accusations, none of them are serious. It starts with the obvious stuff: jerk, sexist, racist, classist, ageist, etc. Then they get on to the pseudo-psychology.

The mark of a passive aggressive person is not calm; it's a deliberate attempt to provoke by playing the victim. It takes many forms after that.

March 27, 2013, 03:11:35 PM
That's just like, um, your opinion, man.

March 27, 2013, 03:27:19 PM
Seems a pretty reasonable opinion, nonetheless.

March 27, 2013, 06:38:56 PM

That would explain - sort of - why certain uberly-aggressive internet-types tend to accuse me of being passive-aggressive.

That's a pretty passive-aggressive statement.

But anyway, it's quite common nowadays to encounter this behavior. Modern mentality really plays to victimhood, why else would this be so prevalent?

March 27, 2013, 06:44:47 PM
See, I view your statement as passive-aggression.
There was no need for it, nothing to be gained, no traction.
Why did you feel the need to say it?

March 27, 2013, 06:47:58 PM
The only reason I said it was for my own amusement. At least the first part, the second part was trying to stimulate some insight or conversation on the topic.

March 27, 2013, 06:59:00 PM
It amuses you to level accusations at people that could cause suffering to them.
Even though you may not believe it to be true, re: the term 'only'.
This, you see, is the part I don't understand.
Causing pain for personal amusement.
Admins refer to this sort of thing as 'toxic'.

Maybe better to stimulate insight and/or conversation by doing just that, and omitting the toxic bit.
Why manufacture enmity?

March 29, 2013, 03:21:23 PM
It amuses you to level accusations at people that could cause suffering to them.
Even though you may not believe it to be true, re: the term 'only'.
This, you see, is the part I don't understand.
Causing pain for personal amusement.
Admins refer to this sort of thing as 'toxic'.

Maybe better to stimulate insight and/or conversation by doing just that, and omitting the toxic bit.
Why manufacture enmity?

Because I can't resist a little trolling. Making jabs at one another makes this place more laid back.

Besides, what's life without some teasing? Don't take everything on here too personally.  8)

March 29, 2013, 04:01:12 PM
The internet in general is passive aggressive. Here, we're trying to deprogram ourselves. And if you insult me, it's because you're not respecting my equal rights as a sovereign human individual!!1!

March 29, 2013, 05:01:37 PM
If you insult me, you interfere with the free exchange of ideas that would otherwise have been able to occur, causing useless conflict to ensue, instead. Likewise, if I insult you.
Humans react to stimuli. They may be practised in the art of not showing it, but the reaction remains.
Like/don't like.
Agree/disagree.
Engage/disengage.

Human rights be damned.