Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

High Kwality Education

Re: High Kwality Education
February 01, 2013, 10:38:10 PM

By this reasoning, love could develop out of a one night stand? I doubt it.

I don't follow you, are you questioning whether love can develop (in any one party) from a one night stand? Are we using some particular extended definition of love here? Because if not, this is common.

February 02, 2013, 02:18:55 AM
It’s irrelevant in the sense that it's a minor event with little to no impact.

At any rate, the point of such a 'class' isn’t really to teach anything but to further push the boundaries of accepted social norms
It's both. Are we surprised that schools indoctrinate? The proles need to be told what to think, what to listen to, and how to dress.

Ok. But in this case I think it’s not even the single event that matters but that it comes to reinforce a growing trend. To me it can either be accepted or condemned; the two don’t meet half way.

as though any form of change amounts to ‘progress’.
Right, but cheap sentimentality for the past is pretty much the conservative's analogue to this.

Liberal ‘progress’ is measured by how far they can run away from tradition or inversely how much they can get in its face (like a spoiled child really). Conservatives just observe and discuss whether something does or does not work. In this case it’s sex: better kept sacred or put on a platter for the clowns to have fun with? It’s not cheap sentimentality to question what produces the logically better result in people.

In a casual discussion someone calls modernity dysfunctional. You step in to defend it with some kind of “get with the program” type statement while at the same time appearing unconcerned.
I just can’t understand this viewpoint as it seem to recognise the modern world as a shithole but then resorts to accepting it as the only solution.
I'm defending nothing. Your assumption makes no sense, yet you refuse to question its reasoning. That's really one of the underlying points.

Is it not possible that a totally functional person might find fault in the world?
Society is flawed, people are flawed and the world is flawed. A healthy person acknowledges this and doesn't constantly dwell on it. Most activists (feminists in particular) tend to just be butthurt about one thing or another and use their cause to inflate themselves or transfer blame for their own shortcomings. Their thinking is pretty much dominated by confirmation bias and thus they see symptoms of their cause in everything around them.

I can’t relate to this. Conservatives follow a certain path to yield certain results and they base this on whether it works in the long run (call it tradition?). Liberalism might also seem to do this (it seems to do a lot of things), but then you have to question whether it would even exist without tradition to rebel against. With extremes aside, these are two completely contrasting forms of activism (if indeed that term could even apply to conservatism).

By this reasoning, love could develop out of a one night stand? I doubt it.

I don't follow you, are you questioning whether love can develop (in any one party) from a one night stand? Are we using some particular extended definition of love here? Because if not, this is common.

Love meaning a single-minded and lasting devotion between male and female. I imagine it’s pretty hard to achieve that or think of her as a great mans daughter when she willingly gives herself to a guy she hardly knows. Unfortunately this Brave New World type scenario is fast becoming the normal situation in the west and with dire consequences.

February 02, 2013, 09:49:57 AM
So you can have sex for hours with multiple orgasms?
So the purpose of sex is to glorify oneself?

It is only a "minor event" because people have been convinced to think of it as such. From a purely objective and omniscient viewpoint, this class is no more or less minor an event than the birth of a sun. Significance only exists where ascribed, so calling it a minor event only displays your opinion, and by extension, the larger cultural matrix of values. The point is that you are wrong, because the event is not at all irrelevant to those who actually take stock in beauty. What you are saying is equivalent to saying that stepping in a pool of pig-shit is nothing to complain about because the whole world is shit anyway.

"Chill out, dude, it's just ___" is the statement of a man without spirit. No single thing of beauty has ever come from such a mindset. Don't let your voice be lost among the rest. Show them that things do matter, and believe in things that matter. Believe that *everything* matters. Everything does.

NHA

February 03, 2013, 04:17:41 AM
Conservatives just observe and discuss whether something does or does not work.
Sounds more like Nihilism than Conservatism. If anything, I'd say your average American conservative does the exact opposite of this, when it comes to moral issues. Also, theres a pretty large semantic difference between Reactionary conservatives and the vanilla varieties.

Being strictly bound to past or present traditions, without questioning if their values are still in line with reality, is just as contemptible as any liberal delusion of equality.

Phoenix

February 05, 2013, 08:46:07 PM
So you can have sex for hours with multiple orgasms?
So the purpose of sex is to glorify oneself?

I just don't like it when guys say that sex is nothing to work at, that good sex comes naturally if there's true love. They're insinuating an ego-boosting premise that they have some privileged, deep understanding of love and that they know how to please their woman more than the next guy.

It is only a "minor event" because people have been convinced to think of it as such. From a purely objective and omniscient viewpoint, this class is no more or less minor an event than the birth of a sun. Significance only exists where ascribed, so calling it a minor event only displays your opinion, and by extension, the larger cultural matrix of values. The point is that you are wrong, because the event is not at all irrelevant to those who actually take stock in beauty. What you are saying is equivalent to saying that stepping in a pool of pig-shit is nothing to complain about because the whole world is shit anyway.

"Chill out, dude, it's just ___" is the statement of a man without spirit. No single thing of beauty has ever come from such a mindset. Don't let your voice be lost among the rest. Show them that things do matter, and believe in things that matter. Believe that *everything* matters. Everything does.

That was beautiful.

February 05, 2013, 11:17:53 PM
"Chill out, dude, it's just ___" is the statement of a man without spirit.

Really?  I frequently say things like "Chill out, dude, it's just the way the world is", in the sense that people get far too absorbed in transitory things (broken down car, broken down relationship, broken down there, whatever).  When people chill out, they're better able to appreciate the beauty of the supposedly "bad" event that has just occurred, being able to see things with a broader perspective.

February 07, 2013, 03:50:29 AM
"Chill out, dude, it's just ___" is the statement of a man without spirit.

Really?  I frequently say things like "Chill out, dude, it's just the way the world is", in the sense that people get far too absorbed in transitory things (broken down car, broken down relationship, broken down there, whatever).  When people chill out, they're better able to appreciate the beauty of the supposedly "bad" event that has just occurred, being able to see things with a broader perspective.

For most people the broken down relationship would appear to be of equal or lesser value than the broken down car. “Just replace it, they’re a dime a dozen anyway”. The point I would make is that these things are transient, a cheap car or a cheap relationship aren’t made to last. The alternative is to have something of a higher quality. Something that doesn’t break down. And that if it does, then it really does matter.

February 07, 2013, 10:19:56 AM
No, it really doesn't.

Here's the distinction I make: nothing matters; everything should have meaning.

Why I make this distinction: "matter" implies something having objective importance; "meaning" implies something having subjective importance.

One of the benefits of looking at the world this way is that you can appreciate everything that comes through your experience to the greatest degree, but there's no sense of loss when it's gone (which it will be).  Phenomena arise and fall like waves on the ocean; why become attached to something which you know isn't permanent?

February 08, 2013, 01:19:19 AM
Like the transitory state of not being in some kind of trouble, and responsible for it in some way.
This is the yearned-for and demanded state of the leftist.
How nice it would be for them to dwell in such permanence.
However...

February 21, 2013, 09:19:47 PM
"College Hosts Sex, Masturbation Tutorial – Inside A Church"
http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/12730

This is apparently a national program. No longer limited to places of "higher learning", you can now watch a "famous fake orgasm scene" in your own church!