Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Its High Time To Act

ozz

Re: Its High Time To Act
January 31, 2007, 04:27:14 PM
Or you could do what I do and listen to the same death/black/thrash from late 80s/early 90s  on repeat... Works for me.

February 06, 2007, 12:20:26 PM
Anyways, to sum up the moral of the story, if you can stir something deep within listeners, then some will want to take after you. Likewise, they will do the same to their own audiences and so goes the chain reaction.

People don't know how to begin doing this. They need to understand first art, then music and their instrument, then songwriting. But first they must know what they want to achieve.

I suggest all aspiring metal bands stop listening to metal and start listening to classical. Find out what makes it great. Hint: it's not the technique, but how techniques are applied to communicate something.

February 08, 2007, 05:58:41 AM
I would agree with that, heaviness is not in the instruments played or how distorted they are, it is also in the deliverance of the music.

February 11, 2007, 10:43:29 AM
My advice:

1) Start support groups for metal musicians. If there are enough participants, we can have a forum here for it.

2) Make a links list of music theory resources, metal tabs, metal technique, metal ideas, and the like. Discuss them and make sure people understand them.

3) Stay in communication with others doing the same thing.

4) We need at last one label, one zine and one distro that supports this effort. You need to arrange it.

5) Finally, our musicians need to begin producing demos and distributing them so that they can receive critique and apply it where necessary. When the music is of excellent quality, and only then, it can be signed.

Anything else is asstalk.

February 13, 2007, 08:41:44 PM
When metal bands - regardless of their musical orientation - start trying to force innovation, it's a bad thing.  I don't care if they came from the metal subculture, liberal universities, or Pluto's ass.  What we have in metal today is exactly this.  I've seen it time and time again.  The worst metal is made with the best of intentions (...And Oceans and a million others).  Meanwhile, bands that nod to the past and don't try to revolutionize the genre continuously put out great albums (Witches Hammer, King's-Evil, Throneum).  There are precious few exceptions (Furze).

February 16, 2007, 02:36:55 AM
i agree, the best ideas often happen by accident, and not just in music. No amount of organisation is going to get people to innovate, its simply not something that can be forced.