Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Theories.

Theories.
March 08, 2013, 08:59:13 PM
It has come to my attention that the theoretical has come to replace actual knowledge, in our current age.
I used to wonder why it was that whatever I contributed to whatever forum, would be met with such outrage and resistance. Now I know...

Most forum users appear to be young, and being young, have a rather small store of actual experience.
This, together with wanting to appear to be more accomplished than they actually are, aka ego, causes an intense resentment of anyone claiming to know things via actual experience.

What I notice most, is that people - having no experience of their own - tend to view everything as theoretical.
This manifests very often with the prefix: "I think...", or: "In my opinion..."
And opinions, as we all know, have lately come to mean that mine is as valid as yours, although yours has no validity because it differs from mine.

And so I observe this:
I have no opinion to offer. What use are opinions?
When I offer something, it is because I know it to be true. Through direct experience, and observation.
I offer it for no other reason than to offer it, feeling it to be something not widely known.
I am, in fact, reporting what-is, as opposed to doing what so many others do, whatever that is.

So: while others think only in terms of theory, I do not think at all.
I deal in reality, and report my findings.
And if popularity was at the top of my list of reasons for exposing myself, then I certainly wouldn't be doing it.

Re: Theories.
March 08, 2013, 09:08:18 PM
In my experience, nobody likes anecdotes. They are always met with hostility. Statistics > experience I guess.

"40% of Californians favor a tax on soda."

40%? They never asked me. How about any of you guys? No? Well then....

March 08, 2013, 09:12:58 PM
How about a tax on opinions? I like the sound of that.
And a tax credit for experience.
And euthanasia for the opinionated.
Etc, etc...

March 08, 2013, 09:44:29 PM
This is all too taxing. I'll have to get back to you.