Metal > Metal

Uses of Music

<< < (2/7) > >>

Horrific Prophecies:
I dont know which parts of your post to quote, FE-XIBXABH, so i wont bother. I never said said or implied what you assumed i did. Chill.
Thanks however: I never knew any of the blatantly-obvious things you posted. Who'd of thought theres talent in jazz?
I agree with most of what you said. I have also in the past had friends who listen to popular music who don't mind a bit of metal, but wouldn't choose to listen to it themselves. However, none liked extreme metal: just stuff like Metallica and In Flames. They also do not like classical, folk, or anything along these lines. These genres tend to require an acquired taste, an intelligence as a listener. IMHO, this DOES make them less intelligent as a LISTENER. They may very well be generally intelligent, but music-wise, they run at a lower level.
I am not claiming everyone else is "stupid, musically speaking". It is obvious there is a lot of skill and talent in many popular genres such as blues and jazz.

I think it is safe to say that general intelligence does not often reflect on a person's 'music-intelligence', but 'music-intelligence' often reflects on a person's general intelligence.
Note: i said 'not often' and 'often'. Not 'always'.

FE-XIBXABH:

--- Quote ---He was saying the musical elements to pop music lead nowhere, they only specialize in cyclic song structures

admittedly there are many genres that are very musically competent but the musical elements only make up half of the music, thats why people on this site value many classical composers, prog rockers (which isn't complicated as you said but is extremely simple)
--- End quote ---

Ok, but have you tried to find the good country, rap or whatever other genre or just base your judgement on them as country fan might hear slipknot and think he knows what DM/BM is. That's no different than what you're doing. As far as the prog rock I was refering to is (early-mid) Yes, early King Crimson, and some Frank Zappa, hardly simple, as a matter of fact I don't think there are too many extreme bands that would even compare on a musical level. But they weren't the point of my post.

--- Quote ---I dont know which parts of your post to quote, FE-XIBXABH, so i wont bother. I never said said or implied what you assumed i did. Chill.[/qoute]

I didn't mean to direct that at any particular person, that just the vibe I got from the few posts that I checked out upon registering.

--- Quote ---These genres tend to require an acquired taste, an intelligence as a listener. IMHO, this DOES make them less intelligent as a LISTENER. They may very well be generally intelligent, but music-wise, they run at a lower level.
--- End quote ---

GrindCore is an aquired taste, that doesn't make it any more intelligent. The same goes for old punk, which could lead to greenday, and blink 182 (none of which I'm a fan of). So you're saying that punk in it's infancy was more intelligent than the "new" punk because it was an aquired tast, and still is really. But, "true" punk started a lot, and all it was was a message, the music wasn't great, but those above mentioned don't carry the same message, but the music is more intelligent. Perhaps you could draw that same line from old BM & DM to those of the present. While I do agree, it does take more attention to appreciate what's going on in BM/DM, I don't find the listeners of such genre's any more intelligent than any other listeners. Like I said before, just because they feel what they want out of a dance song, love song, some salsa or what have you, doesn't make them any less intelligent. There are very few that I've met who can't appreciate what I've played them, they just prefer otherwise. Or maybe that's because that had a good childhood.  ;D  We bond through our inability to appreciate the happier things in life.
--- End quote ---

More Celt Than Sassenach:

--- Quote --- Ok, but have you tried to find the good country, rap or whatever other genre or just base your judgement on them as country fan might hear slipknot and think he knows what DM/BM is. That's no different than what you're doing. As far as the prog rock I was refering to is (early-mid) Yes, early King Crimson, and some Frank Zappa, hardly simple, as a matter of fact I don't think there are too many extreme bands that would even compare on a musical level. But they weren't the point of my post.
--- End quote ---

when i say pop i only meant the actual genre pop, not the term popular, so things like Britney Spears

Since pop music tries to be as popular as possible the most popular acts are the most important to the genre and the most important

and when you were thinking of Frank Zappa and King crimson i was thinking of things like very early pink floyd (piper at the gates of dawn era), but yes Frank Zappa and King crimson can be very complicated

FE-XIBXABH:
BLEH! pop is so minute, I don't even know why it's at the forefront of this conversation. You should focus more on the things that you do enjoy, ie BM, and empty your concerns of the likes of pop music. Otherwise you sound intimidated by it, "you" = generally speaking.

And by the way, early yes topples all other prog rock, IMO. I just thought I'd put that out there. ;D

Josef K.:
The reigning opinion on this thread is that metal (etc.) requires greater patience and understanding to appreciate its depth. However, 'tis not a logical consequence of listening to 'difficult' or 'higher-order' music, that the listener is thus 'higher-order'. In fact, my original post was to highlight this obvious observation- That metalheads are more likely to be antithetical.

Furthermore, would anyone like to comment on the idea that: If a piece of music requires greater patience (etc./whatever) to appreciate it, it doesn't halt the process of enjoyment, which is merely the reduction of said piece of music into a comprehensible form, upon which it serves as entertainment*. I think it's time to deconstruct, from a pragmatic perspective, metal against popular- In what manner, is the act of listening to metal, unlike the act of listening to pop, where both are forms of entertainment.

* Metal might require more from the listener- But my point is that, upon appreciating the music, the listener converts metal in a personal form of popular music, which serves only for entertainment.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version