Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Humility. What is it?

Humility. What is it?
March 21, 2013, 11:42:33 PM
It comes to my attention that the notion of humility has morphed from what it is (was), into an attack-term to lay waste to others. Which is interesting. Does anyone even remember what humility was, before this mutation occurred?

Humility comes as standard to anyone who knows that life is not about them.
Which is almost nobody, in modern times.
There is this odd belief among people, and especially among the young, that life should conform to whatever they think it should, at any particular moment. That life should be to their specification.
Written down, like that, it looks absurd, doesn't it? That anyone could actually behave in such a way.
But strangely, that absurdity is invisible to each individual that manifests it.

Why in the world would I care about appearing to be humble, anyway?
No reason occurs. None. Because humility has nothing whatsoever to do with appearances.

Humility is a state, not a circus, in which the one who is humble, is aware that the universe does not revolve around them. No more, no less.
In this rather obvious knowledge, the humble one behaves accordingly. And is humble.
He may be Conan The Barbarian, or he may be Pope Pius. How he appears does not matter.
He may turn the other cheek, or he may be taking no prisoners. Still, this is no indication of his inherent humility.

Humble is an attitude towards life. A stance. A viewpoint.
It is a core component of conservatism.
Without it, one is a monster.
Period.

Re: Humility. What is it?
March 22, 2013, 02:35:42 AM
the one who is humble, is aware that the universe does not revolve around them.

I'm not humble, I regularly vomit on god's child, but I agree with this.

Where I live there are a lot of people who think the world exists just so they can be important. They're very proud of their BMW's and Mercedes's, job titles, Manolo Blahnik shoes.

Basically monkeys with credit cards.

March 22, 2013, 02:46:39 AM
You're a monster then? Maybe not, if you are unlike the monkeys you describe.
Part of being humble is not recognizing it in oneself.
I confess, the only time I even think about it is when somebody uses it to attack me.

March 22, 2013, 04:42:43 AM
No I am a monster

My past is one of mistakes, mostly. A lot of anger, drinking too much, punching the wrong people. I am a feral animal who will never fit into society.

But on to more fun things, I don't think about humility at all, because the biggest humility is to make yourself small when you stand in front of the truth.

I can do it sometimes, on good days, but not always. Even just truths about how I've wrecked my marriage, drank my way out of a job or two (seven), that kind of stuff.

It's hard to say I fucked it up but time is past. I don't get to be 19 again.

March 22, 2013, 04:53:49 AM
Yet look at what you've learned.
The fuckups made of you what you are.
What you are is making you what you will become.
Comfort and safe choices could never have done it.

March 22, 2013, 06:36:22 PM
Easy way to be humble: forget everything.  Leave it all behind; you can only enter heaven as naked as you were the day you left.

Mr. Zombie, you might relieve yourself by realising that the only thing associating yourself with the past is your mind - what are you right now?  If you are aware of there having been error, then you've transcended that fault.

March 22, 2013, 06:44:29 PM
You're on a roll, Cargest. Wisest man around.
I don't get to see this very often.