Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Suggestions

Suggestions
March 26, 2013, 09:20:42 PM
For people who are not passive-aggressive:

What can we do to improve the site?

Any bug fixes?

Are you interested in contributing? (art, writing, promotion, music, video)

Re: Suggestions
March 26, 2013, 11:17:10 PM
Perhaps a good start would be to define what 'passive-aggressive' actually is, giving useful examples.
It is a term bandied around a lot, as an accusation, usually in the context of it being a projection of the behaviour exhibited by the accuser.
Squawk!

March 27, 2013, 01:04:30 AM
I don't think you need to churn out quite so much material: the focus on quantity has, as mentioned in the other thread, caused a drop in quality.  At that, if you can maintain the quantity while raising the quality, do it.

The plethora of "news" posts is irksome: more articles on the compositional foundations of Metal would be preferred, as far as I'm concerned.  You could write wonderful comparison pieces, whereby the compositional and instrumental techniques of various bands within and between genres are contrasted, both in form and in substance.  An example off the top of my head: Blessed are the Sick vs. Blizzard Beasts vs. anything by Averse Sefira.  Content: "what are they doing, how/why are they doing it, what are the similarities and differences, and so what can we infer from these works?".

March 27, 2013, 01:08:45 AM
There's plenty of room for those in "articles" section. However, I'm not sure many people are interested in such things.

March 27, 2013, 03:04:37 AM
Are you interested in contributing?
I'm interested. Sent you an email.
Liberalism is moral syphilis.

- Jonathan Bowden

March 27, 2013, 08:03:43 PM
1. Have a best of section like the one here on the old site. Those "best ever" lists helped me out a ton when I first came to the DLA. At the moment the reviews section might be a bit daunting for a newcomer.

2. Make sure each band page on the reviews has an MP3 link to the audiofile section. Most of them have it but there's a few missing.

3. There's a bug on the reviews section when you're on an album review and then click on another album by the same band. Takes you to an error page.

March 27, 2013, 08:39:16 PM
The sheer amount of text on the first page might be too much information for the casual reader. If someone isn't interested in an article, they shouldn't have to scroll through the whole thing. Perhaps implement an 'expand' button for each news article. Keep it to a few paragraphs with an option to expand to the full text.

Agreed with Rotten Raplh. There should be a 'best of' section to direct new metalheads/hessians to.

March 28, 2013, 05:45:50 PM
How about a "I'm new to metal, where do I start?" page.

March 28, 2013, 05:51:10 PM
I don't recall any I'm new to metal page in the 1980s. People start by hearing the first chords and navigate from there.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

March 28, 2013, 05:55:56 PM
Well, just so they don't get sidetracked into some shit new metal...

March 28, 2013, 06:42:29 PM
"why even Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin own your metalcore rock music"
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

March 28, 2013, 07:15:28 PM
I would seriously actually take Justin Biebers music over metalcore or nu-metal. Bieber just sucks but metalcore ruins something I love.

March 28, 2013, 07:51:07 PM
-Have "About Hessianism" actually link to a page.
-Do not praise the substandard even if you give them a platform. Please don't compromise on this, I beg you.
-Keep doing interviews with the above, because even bad metal musicians can be good metal fans and it's worth it to hear their views and beliefs. Like Morgengrau; I hated "Extrinsic Pathway", but I really liked the interview. Same story with Revel in Flesh.
-More sadistic pieces, berate with humour. It has worked for other popular metal outlets (I'm thinking Bill Zebub and Sergeant D).
-The DLA part of the website is not immediately apparent when you wander on to the front page. Perhaps this is deliberate.
-Doubling down on the "Best Of" suggestion.

Most of all, keep doing what you're doing. I can't offer my assistance beyond proselytizing to those around me, I know I could never find the time to make substantial contributions because of my profession. Instead of taking up something beyond my power in a display of zeal and then petering out, I am content to be on the sidelines. But if I can be of some small service at some time, I will not refuse. I don't have any technical skills, just a passion for the music. Hilariously for me, one of my youtube comments somehow made its way to the front page, but I don't think that is much of a contribution.

March 28, 2013, 09:14:28 PM
I'm not against featuring honest but B-grade metal bands as long as they aren't presented as anything more than what they are: that is, tributes to better metal.

I think we can all agree a "best of" is a necessary addition, perhaps a countdown type thing via the blog is in order.

March 29, 2013, 03:00:40 AM
The reviews on the main page are really vague about whether they liked some of these CDs or not.