Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Suggestions

Re: Suggestions
March 29, 2013, 05:50:19 AM
The reviews on the main page are really vague about whether they liked some of these CDs or not.

Lets take the De Profundis one as an example, because that's the one that has been mentioned most:

Like dub or a really free-form jazz jam, De Profundis songs revolve around a central conflict that encounters interruptions which lead back to the theme. Itís the interruptions that are the main course, ironically enough, because these allow extended rhythm leads and leads that showcase the playing skills here.

"Wankery that circles around itself, but that's the whole point"

Itís a slight to this band to call them ďmetal,Ē because itís clearly only one of several dozen ingredients, but a wide diversity of metal riffing can be spotted here, from Swedish melodic to early black metal. All of this fits into a funky, warm, jazzy exterior that fulfills the expectations of its ageís elites.

"Hipster music that will seem cool to idiots with loud opinions that listen to Pink Frothy AIDS"

Don't really have a problem with dog-whistling and making people read between lines but brutal honesty this is not. If that's the goal, so be it, but expect distaste and alienating fans of the cerebral material.

March 29, 2013, 08:59:11 AM
Just noticed, all of the album review pages have further links to other albums reviewed by the same act, but all the links are wrong. For example:

From http://www.deathmetal.org/bands/bathory/bathory-bathory/ you see a link to The Return..., but the link is http://www.deathmetal.org/bands/bathory/bathory-bathory/bathory-return_the when it should be http://www.deathmetal.org/bands/bathory/bathory-return_the/

This seems to be the case with pretty much every single album review page I'm clicking on.

March 29, 2013, 04:00:25 PM
This is now fixed.

March 31, 2013, 02:49:45 PM
Diacritics don't render correctly in this review: http://www.deathmetal.org/bands/absurd/absurd-asgardsrei/
Also, this album is misspelled: http://www.deathmetal.org/bands/absurd/absurd-facta_luquuntur/

April 01, 2013, 11:59:23 AM
Hmm.
Well, all the reissue album covers I find have it spelled the other way:
Yet, this one i assume is an original has it spelled differently.

Who knows...

April 01, 2013, 03:17:32 PM
On both band pages for Master and Speckmann Project there's a link to Deathstrike that doesn't work because no underscore has been used. The real link has an underscore like: death_strike.

April 01, 2013, 03:35:39 PM
Didn't one of this website's iterations review Winter's Into Darkness? Am I just imagining stuff? If I'm not, do they remain excluded because of reasons that involve the band/beliefs, reasons that involve their music, or reasons that involve the review? The first is no reason, the second is unconvincing, the third may be true because I just don't remember.

April 01, 2013, 06:59:10 PM
In the 4x7 "Metal Reviews" side column there is a blank space after "0."

Perhaps that blank space could be filled with an "All" hyperlink that lists all the reviews on one page for easier navigation of the review archive.

April 02, 2013, 01:21:07 PM
Might you guys be able to link to the previous article and next article at the bottom of ever article rather than go back to deathmetal.org and scroll up or down?  I like navigating that way, myself.

April 03, 2013, 01:56:06 AM
Who knows...

Google translate suggests the original title was misspelled:

http://translate.google.com/#la/en/facta%20loquuntur

I suppose we should go with the correct Latin, since the band has.

On both band pages for Master and Speckmann Project there's a link to Deathstrike that doesn't work because no underscore has been used. The real link has an underscore like: death_strike.

Will fix in next iteration.

Didn't one of this website's iterations review Winter's Into Darkness? Am I just imagining stuff? I

Yes, we lost some reviews with the Evilmusic transfer and back again. There were also server issues for a year or two which dramatically reduced our availability and page rank.

In the 4x7 "Metal Reviews" side column there is a blank space after "0."

Perhaps that blank space could be filled with an "All" hyperlink that lists all the reviews on one page for easier navigation of the review archive.

Interesting idea. Will think on it.

Might you guys be able to link to the previous article and next article at the bottom of ever article rather than go back to deathmetal.org and scroll up or down?  I like navigating that way, myself.

This is a good idea. I'll ask our graphic designer wizard.

Thanks all for the suggestions!

April 04, 2013, 04:07:24 PM
The following bands did not transition to the new site because on the old site they only appeared on sub-genre pages but were missing from the main alpha list:

Avenger
Axis of Advance
Black Goat
Blazemth
Blind Illusion
Centinex
Conqueror
Deinonychius
Demonic
Gotmoor
Hades
Hate Eternal
Martyr
Mesrine
Metallica
Pervertum
Pessimist
Summon - (Appears on the black metal list but takes you to a dead link. Was there a review for this band previously?)
Urgrund
Usurper
Vilkates
Winterwolf

Also, how about bringing over some of the reviews from here:

Neoclassical music reviews

There's some great stuff here like Maeror Tri, Neptune Towers and Null for example.  Maybe there could be an ambient section to include these artists. Or perhaps they're more suitable for articles on the news section?

April 07, 2013, 07:39:34 PM
It's Sunday. Most of my free time this weekend has gone to the two sites, email and an editing project. I'd like to get to these changes, but LOL it's 2:39 and I still have eight hours of other stuff to do. So not this weekend. Things to think about.

April 16, 2013, 10:26:43 PM
The following are now on the page:

Martyr
Winterwolf
Metallica

These are not -- they are either not important, the reviews are terrible, or there's just more important stuff to do:

Avenger
Axis of Advance
Black Goat
Blazemth
Blind Illusion
Centinex
Conqueror
Deinonychius
Demonic
Gotmoor
Hades
Hate Eternal
Mesrine

NME
Pervertum
Pessimist
Summon - (Appears on the black metal list but takes you to a dead link. Was there a review for this band previously?)
Urgrund
Usurper
Vilkates

Mulling over this now, adding what I can:

Neoclassical music reviews

There's some great stuff here like Maeror Tri, Neptune Towers and Null for example.  Maybe there could be an ambient section to include these artists. Or perhaps they're more suitable for articles on the news section?

There's some good stuff in there, but a stylistic gap that must be fixed.

April 18, 2013, 12:09:24 AM
1. Daily updates; these are likely getting lost becase people dont tend to hit the "older posts" button in order to see what was posted 6 months ago. With the plethora of new posts coming out, you might want to think about havng them automatically sent to each sub section of the site, i.e., the Supuration interview is not available in the "Interview" sections. None of the your new reviews are available in the "Reviews section". Ive always found this odd. If you dont want them included in what was transfered from the other sites you might want to include a sub page in the "reviews" section where these can be placed and thus more easily accessed at a later date.

2. The "Webzine" section is messy as hell, it seems like a hole that some random shit got thrown into. Some more coherency here would be nice.