Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Why am I laughing?

Why am I laughing?
March 27, 2013, 05:23:32 AM
Why am I laughing? Why do you think? You'll just have to take my word for it, because there is no way you can know I actually am laughing. You have only my word for it. Take it on faith. I am laughing.

I am laughing because I am delving into corners I have left un-delved-into, to this point.
Dark and creepy areas of this site that scream "Getthefuckouttaheryourenotgonnalikethisshit!"
And upon delving, I discover that this is right. I don't like it. I have no idea what I am looking at, or why it's there, or why it would ever occur to anyone to put it there. But there it is, anyway.

I am laughing because nothing else on earth behaves anything like humans. Or looks like them. I don't know where they came from, but surely they didn't originate on Earth.

I am laughing because along with the incomprehensible, impenetrable words that humans write, about whatever this thing is that so engages them, are  images of some of those humans, and those images show glowering, threatening, word-and-tattoo-covered maniacs who aren't even trying to hide from the camera. Such courage! Such disregard for consequences. What are they, anyway? Extraterrestrial renegade Visigoths, or what? I don't know.

But mostly I am laughing because they have these bizarre identities they wear, so ostentatiously and so unashamedly. And because they so proudly display their utter lack of happiness or contentment. I wonder why they do that. But I suspect I will never know that, so I laugh, instead.

I realize that without a soundtrack to go with these words and images, I must be missing some vital mine of necessary information, that might well infuse it all with some essential context. But like television, while I may sometimes look at the pictures, I can never quite bear to subject myself to the sound. You should try this. It may make you laugh, too, to watch the crazy antics of people trying to sell you odd and useless things, when you have no idea what they are saying.

I am laughing, really, because I often laugh. It's just something I do, and sometimes for no apparent reason. I amuse myself, in a way humans seem unable to do. Because humans are mostly unable, for some unfathomable reason, to laugh at themselves and their antics, that reduce other lifeforms to rolling around on the ground, gasping for breath.

I am laughing, because here I am, on a Death Metal forum, without the faintest clue as to what Death Metal is, and without the faintest desire to ever find out. Don't you find that funny? I certainly do!

I could be all judgemental about all of this, and call it all this, or all that, but I don't really feel any great desire to do that. I am content to witness these things that people invest with such importance, and merely laugh, not so much at it, but at the people themselves, because people really are such a riot. After all, I do some pretty odd things, too, and consider some of those things to be very important. Which is why I so often laugh at myself.

Yes. I am laughing, really, because I am a crow. And because that is what crows do. Just as Death Metal sounds awful to crows, so do laughing crows sound awful to Hessians (my new word for the week). And if you find yourself unable to figure any of this out, then don't give it another thought. It's really not very important. In fact very little is very important, when you really get serious about investigating it. You may find, that after delving as far as you are able, that the only really important thing there is, is being alive...

Re: Why am I laughing?
March 27, 2013, 06:00:38 AM

How could you possibly find that amusing!!!???

March 27, 2013, 06:20:30 AM
Because it carries with it no immediate consequences.
If those fellas bounced up to me, on the street, I might go to considerable trouble to conceal my amusement.
Crows are smart like that.

March 27, 2013, 06:51:06 AM
Somehow, I suspect that you would have nothing to fear from them.

Obviously a lot of metallers look quite silly. Usually the ones that either too young to understand it, or just too stupid. Immortal belongs to the latter group.

The original motivations for dressing that way for bands like Darkthrone and Burzum (opposition to safe plastic culture, pagan heritage, and anti-christiantiy) have been lost and now it's just to look EEEEEEVILL!!!

March 27, 2013, 06:57:20 AM
Oh, it's not that I would fear them. Crows fear nothing but owls.
I would dislike injuring their feelings, needlessly.
Not, I suspect, that such characters would extend the same consideration to me.
But now that you mention it, they do succeed quite well in looking 'EEEEEEVILL!!!'

March 27, 2013, 07:06:42 AM
That's quite a polite attitude.

March 27, 2013, 07:27:21 AM
Interesting you should mention that.
That is really what the story was about, and why I find myself in this unlikeliest of places :)
Some black guy once said:
"Ah have a dreeum!"
I'm even blacker than he was, see, being a crow, and I have dreeums too.
Mine are different, though.
Simpler.

March 27, 2013, 08:12:07 AM
crow, give this a listen at the very least: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6Nw_V0Jv6Q

or don't.

March 27, 2013, 03:09:46 PM
Not, I suspect, that such characters would extend the same consideration to me.

You might be surprised. Metallers tend to be compassionate but anti-social. Like wild snakes, they will avoid you unless threatened.

March 27, 2013, 03:28:17 PM
That's something I have in common, then.

March 27, 2013, 04:43:58 PM
Learning the real "ins and outs" of Metal and its legend over the past 6 or 7 years has been some of the most fun I've ever had.  I think Metal blurs the line between fantasy and reality perfectly.

March 27, 2013, 04:56:32 PM
crow, give this a listen at the very least: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6Nw_V0Jv6Q
or don't.

I did listen, or to as much as I could bear.
There was some pleasant quiet stuff near 30:10, found by accident, as I flipped forward in desperation.
The rest seemed agonizing with its tortured shrieks of unbearable horror and mind-boggling repetition.
The sheer noise factor of metal is painful to me.
Could it be that metalheads have so damaged their hearing after so many years of habitual listening, that they are simply unaware of this pain?

March 27, 2013, 06:46:23 PM
"The rest seemed agonizing with its tortured shrieks of unbearable horror and mind-boggling repetition."

Crow you seem to have described what metal really should be, inadvertently.

Additionally, we metal fans are not numb to the pain, we REVEL in it. If it ain't loud, you're doin' it wrong.

March 27, 2013, 07:01:38 PM
I was accurately describing what I heard, and the effect it had on me.
It really does amaze me to learn that fans relish that experience.
Maybe there are people who enjoy being run down by eighteen-wheelers, too.
There seems no accounting for taste.

There's a thread in this. Working...

Phoenix

March 28, 2013, 04:26:30 AM
I was accurately describing what I heard, and the effect it had on me.
It really does amaze me to learn that fans relish that experience.
Maybe there are people who enjoy being run down by eighteen-wheelers, too.
There seems no accounting for taste.

There's a thread in this. Working...

The easy answer would be one word: catharsis.

But I think the deeper answer is that if the music is difficult, then to quote Don Juan "warriors fare far better under conditions of maximum stress than under normal circumstances".

There's something to be said for staying sharp, after all moving towards the darkness is the natural way of light. Perhaps in metal I exalt my defeat of the 'Enemy'...