Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Post nuclear arms race begins

Post nuclear arms race begins
April 09, 2013, 03:04:30 AM
WASHINGTON — The Navy is going to sea for the first time with a laser attack weapon that has been shown in tests to disable patrol boats and blind or destroy surveillance drones.

A prototype shipboard laser will be deployed on a converted amphibious transport and docking ship in the Persian Gulf, where Iranian fast-attack boats have harassed American warships and where the government in Tehran is building remotely piloted aircraft carrying surveillance pods and, someday potentially, rockets.

The laser is designed to carry out a graduated scale of missions, from burning through a fast-attack boat or a drone to producing a nonlethal burst to “dazzle” an adversary’s sensors and render them useless without causing any other physical damage.

NYT

Next, someone will figure out how to efficiently scatter or ablate infrared laser. Then, they'll come up with visible and ultraviolet which will quickly get countered. Next, hard x-ray lasers, then a detour back to hypervelocity kinetic warheads but this time packed with 6000 degree plasma or fused hydrogen ions. On and on south of heaven.

Re: Post nuclear arms race begins
April 09, 2013, 03:36:24 AM
If only the world had listened the Mr Kaczynski and his lot, perhaps the you-know-whos wouldn't be on the verge of fucking losing it big time.

April 09, 2013, 04:10:09 AM
North Korea's patience is seriously running thin guys, and though they mightn't have the big guns they've also got nothing to lose. I'm really quite worried about this one.

April 09, 2013, 06:06:10 AM
then a detour back to hypervelocity kinetic warheads

I think you're more likely to get widespread railgun use first rather than directed energy weapons, considering there are working, saleable prototypes right now: www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uV1SbEuzFU

Not very concerned about North Korea, their current behaviour is consistent with past practices. Sure, the reason it works is because of their unpredictability and the potential stakes, but I think that's more an appearance than reality. Nothing that changes the current balance could possibly be beneficial for the NK elite, but grandstanding and then backing off when attempts at placation are made will result in reward. Also, I'm so happy I have a contemporaneous evil dictator to grow old with ("Come around kids, and I'll tell you about when Kim Jong-un used to be young and.... anyway he was pretty young").

April 10, 2013, 08:52:48 PM
If it's on CNN.com it isn't a real threat sorry