Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Da Gamez...

Re: Da Gamez...
April 14, 2013, 04:25:18 AM
I don't follow your line of thinking. You could also say that game designers should abandon the narrative aspect of video games altogether since they will never surpass classic literature. Video games are a distinct phenomena from both art and board games and thus should be judged as such. I suppose you could argue a game is a game, thus making video games irrelevant compared to chess, but that's not really fair -- it's like comparing classical to metal, in that one clearly has more depth than the other, and yet we continue to listen to both. I wonder why that is. Perhaps because metal has a more relevant message in today's world?

As far as games being designed for dullards, that is true for some games, but not all. I'd say the intellectual rigor posed by video games is roughly parallel to that of any other medium: some are for complete dummies, most are for average people, and some are for the bright ones.

April 14, 2013, 05:32:24 AM
All fair statements.  I wonder if it's really possible to justify the existence of video games at all?  It seems to me that many modern inventions serve no purpose but are cleverly designed to distract us from their inherent uselessness.

April 14, 2013, 06:15:05 AM
There is a lot of surprising wisdom in Skyrim. Mostly springing from the mouths of dragons.
The dragons seem to represent evil, but it gets hinted at that evil is important, as a counterpoint to all that is not evil.
The adventurer learns that confronting and defeating these dragons is the very thing that makes a hero a hero.
And the hero actually learns great secrets from the dragons themselves.
Somebody knew a thing or two when he/she wrote this story.

I've sometimes thought that videogames are fertile ground for the dissemination of wisdom, to young, receptive minds.
They don't all have to be production lines for the manufacture of ignorant lazy dolts.
Squawk!

April 14, 2013, 01:39:51 PM
There's to much talk about useless features in videogames. When there's news about a new GTA the first things I hear are like 'omg look how big this game is' or 'holy @#$% amazing graphics!'. Making a game bigger doesn't add anything, a shorter game like mgs1 probably beats any sandbox game. 

April 14, 2013, 06:35:11 PM
Modern people are living under some unnatural conditions, and many of the computer gamers want to vent some of their suppressed natural instincts of aggression and adventure through video games.

It the same as with the recent frivolity talk, in a feminized society with less people being married, people want some way to get their natural tendencies out.

It the expression of the evil, but the true evil is something else than frivolity and video games.

Everyone has to be carefull not to be sucked into slumbering in some artificial world or in superficial fulfilment of his need.

It's healthy to have some games to hone your character or brain, like  sports or some brainy games. I found that the game of internet polemics did much to hone my writing and verbal skills, and overall insigth into how stupid humans argue for their irrational  thinkings and opinions.

Even if there is no concrete border where these things become unhealthy, it is probably good to have some codex of honour about the limits of your doings.

April 15, 2013, 05:30:59 AM
Good post username, seems to sum up the issue pretty well.  I agree that these things are not inherently bad but we need to be disciplined and objective in how we approach them.

April 15, 2013, 05:32:31 AM
Ultimately, they're a diversion like television and spectator sports. These are what people do when it is time to idle and disengage from life. The real problem is when just about everyone is most interested in idleness and disengagement and not what form that takes. That has to be a symptom of an atrophying civilization and not one that is strong. The presence or lack of electronic games is not the problem or answer.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793

April 16, 2013, 03:44:41 AM
I'd say game software is more acutely affected by the end phase of the lifecycle. When they die they often end up freeware and the margin drops to zero. Even if the rights aren't released, how many copies of say the first Doom game are sold anymore?

Television however turns into continually broadcast reruns or resaleable DVDs of entire seasons. Leave It To Beaver is still on. Ancient James Cagney flicks are still a hit.

Healthier is a highly complex question because of its many uses: physical, psychological, sociological, economic, and cultural which by some definitions may include those last three. Still, idleness at times is a part of being us. If idleness turns into our collective preference, then there is probably going to be a poor outcome.
”The Revolution ends by devouring its own children” – Jacques Mallet du Pan, 1793