Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

The Great Secret.

Re: The Great Secret.
April 12, 2013, 05:15:26 AM
The Divine is what it is. Unknowable. The most you can know about it is to know yourself.
Squawk!

Phoenix

April 12, 2013, 05:23:58 AM
Consciousness is consciousness. The only difference is what surrounds it, what shape it flows into. Knowing myself I do know Emptiness because I am emptiness.

April 12, 2013, 05:27:21 AM
You may be emptiness right now, and this is good.
Often you are anything but.
Seeing emptiness for what it is, is good.
Being able to maintain it, even better.

Squawk!

Phoenix

April 12, 2013, 05:33:22 AM
I don't think you understand. Fundamentally I'll always be Emptiness, conventionally I'll always be human. Whatever state I'm in, this life or in the astral universe beyond, I'll always be the vessel and the consciousness within the vessel. Remove either and both perish; when a drop of water falls into the ocean it becomes the ocean.

April 12, 2013, 05:41:40 AM
You're right. I don't understand. Understanding isn't something I do much of.
That's why I have no difficulty being whatever I am, or am engaged in, or with.
This was not always the case, but for a long time, I sought to understand.
Now I prefer mystery.

One thing though: what makes you think you'll always be a vessel?
Consciousness, once realized, needs no vessel.
Squawk!

Phoenix

April 12, 2013, 05:55:08 AM
I'm saying the vessel and the consciousness are co-existent as an individual agent of consciousness.

It's like there's an ocean of consciousness unlimited in quantity and identical in quality, non-local and timeless, just existing. Pieces of it extend into denser realms. A piece of something infinite in quantity and otherwise identical is not delineated by any physical form since its quantity is unlimited. Its delineation into form is precisely the form itself, the vessel, which incidentally is also consciousness but much denser. Of course, then, there's nothing there, except certain denser forms have the magical potential for sentience, whereby they can be the ego of the unlimited ocean and give it the experiences it could never have on its own. Spirit ensouled in flesh.

April 12, 2013, 06:04:06 AM
Did you ever consider that by attempting to define a wonder, it becomes considerably less wonderful, when restricted by the limits of your definition?
And even more by the limits of the one you describe it to?
I've always been struck by the manifest pointlessness of philosophy.
Squawk!

Phoenix

April 12, 2013, 06:07:15 AM
Clearer understanding can only arise from less clear understanding.

April 12, 2013, 05:38:03 PM
What exactly does 'understanding' mean to you? Why do you need it?
Squawk!

April 12, 2013, 06:02:09 PM
Huh. The great secret for me was that the divine and the material are the same. It all has meaning. Life itself is a living thing with it's own purpose. The point is to get over our individualism, and do something greater than what everyone else is doing, which is being individualistic. Just like in a horror film: the people who have emotional reactions die first, but the people who keep their heads make it to the end.

April 16, 2013, 04:23:27 PM
The Great Secret is that there isn't one.

You mean that life is something we can learn to do?

April 16, 2013, 04:52:57 PM
Learning doesn't equal life. You can learn plenty, but still you may not be really living.
In fact, the more you learn, the less likely you are to notice you are alive.
I really didn't know what life was, until I cleared out every last thing from my mind, and became what was left.
There is no secret to this. Anyone can do it.
Almost nobody does.
Squawk!