Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Celibacy: no semen wasted

Celibacy: no semen wasted
April 12, 2013, 08:00:59 PM
What benefits are to be had from celibacy?

I am going on around month 10 of being celibate. I noticed that my productivity has increased both in my professional life and personal life. Aside from that, I don't see any other benefit (other than the obvious: no money spent on contraceptives, no worries of obtaining STD's, no women complaining that I don't respond to their calls/texts, and so forth.)

Has anyone reaped benefits from being celibate?

According to this site, "Brahmacharya" is key to a healthy life. This may just exist to deter people from excessive behaviors.

http://www.dadabhagwan.org/scientific-solutions/self-help/how-to-practice-celibacy/benefits-of-celibacy-why-practice-celibacy/

Re: Celibacy: no semen wasted
April 12, 2013, 08:10:08 PM
Well, I'm no expert on this, but I did once manage to go without ejaculation of any sort for several weeks, and yes, I did find I had more energy. It seems to be true.

April 12, 2013, 08:33:35 PM
I'm no expert either.

I think the productivity stems from less distractions.

April 12, 2013, 10:22:30 PM
The classic kinds of askesis seemed not to do anything for me. In particular vegetarian diets seemed unhealthy.

The unhealthy is in indulgence and execces.

The gravest danger is not to masturbate for 30 seconds every other day, but it is, in particular for women, to go to the drunken parties and then go home with some fag, because that will lead to an emotional exhauastion where one is no longer able to have the sensitivity and sensations neccesary to bond in order to create a family.

There is nothing macho about being able to take such drunk sluts home with you from such a party. But you cant respect such a slut because you know, you are number 40 she goes home with,and that she is oblivious to the fact, that you migth create another human.

Sex is about the creation of humans, in fact, but modern people seem to have forgotten that, and thus they forget that the larger frame of the family and marriage is neccesary.

The ascesis migth was reasonable for hermits, as they had limited funds for food, and thus should not waste the seemen. Other people should just forget about those things and think about more important things.

April 12, 2013, 11:18:50 PM
Right.

My scenario is that I burnt out on excess. I used sex as a way to cope over rough breakups with women. I've cut loose all of the easy women in my life.

I have a good career, good income, good personal life with productive hobbies.

Perhaps celibacy is broken sexuality ---- in my case: no desire.

April 13, 2013, 03:16:41 AM
Right.

My scenario is that I burnt out on excess. I used sex as a way to cope over rough breakups with women. I've cut loose all of the easy women in my life.

I have a good career, good income, good personal life with productive hobbies.

Well, you did say that you used sex as a coping device. That isn't healthy.

I went through a manwhore phase in my life too, and after that I didn't do anything sexually for a month or two. Your drive is probably exhausted - but don't forget about it totally. Sex and masturbation are both healthy; when the time and the woman is right you'll be able to go at it.

April 13, 2013, 03:41:48 AM
Nietzsche believed that excess semen was absorbed in to the blood stream and made for increased vitality and power. Though this appeals to common sense on some level, I'm not convinced. Scientifically, there is a paucity of research in to the benefits of abstinence, as opposed to the heaps of studies done on the benefits of orgasm. This study found higher testosterone levels in males after a 3 week period of abstinence, but I think I'll wait for a meta-analysis before I become a hermit.

NHA

April 13, 2013, 11:10:02 AM
The longest I've forced myself to go without ejaculation is ~2 months. After a few weeks your body just balances out and the feeling of having more energy goes away.

Seems to be no different than fasting - your first meal after coming off of it tastes exceptionally good.

April 13, 2013, 11:58:33 PM

After excessive and unhealthy eating, food seems like sort of a gross chore. It's normal to burn out when you're doing things incorrectly - and you identified exactly what it is that you've been doing wrong: using sex as some kind of emotional crutch after bad breakups.

Your lack of desire is pretty normal. Decreased obsession with sex is also probably a sign of maturity in males above the age of 25 or so. I'd advise you to relax and not overthink the issue. Continue to build a worthwhile life, and you'll eventually meet a female who may wish to share it with you. When this happens, I'm sure you'll find that your sexual chemistry responds appropriately.

And don't worry about Brahmacharya. A lot of Indian and Tibetan ideas about retaining semen have very little to do with purely physiological 'health', and actually relate to a very complicated set of 'magical' practices. It's not worth worrying about this unless you're going to 'go all the way'.