Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Lost wisdom

Lost wisdom
April 16, 2013, 10:23:52 PM
(Insert a string of obscenities here. None are enough. There are no words vile and hateful enough.)

Per the suggestions thread, I'm going through Abraxas, and I've had to stop because I may vomit.

I linked a ton of great stuff -- interviews, band pages, histories, flyers, etc. -- with each of these reviews. I remember spending hours on this, late at night and when I should've been doing other things.

So far, 90% of them are gone:

1. The sites are down. Guess what? It costs a minimum of $120 per year to host a site in such a way that it won't fail randomly. People get tired of that, and free providers all collapse because of the high cost of discouraging abuse.

2. http://web.archive.org/ is awesome, but people whined to them and complained about not being able to remove stuff. So the admins came up with a rule: put in a robots.txt and if it excludes the content we've indexed, we'll delete it! Except that when domain grabbers snag the domain, the first thing they do is put in a robots.txt excluding the content so that they don't get inundated in search engine crawler 404s.

Thus, the content is gone to the winds, or I should say, gone forever.

One reason I and others behind this project have FOUGHT for years is to keep rock from assimilating these genres, and the memory hole from eating up their meaning. We have some resources but I wish I'd blatantly pirated everything I ever liked, because it's all melting away.

I am watching the history of a movement and a generate evaporate before my eyes.

There are not words...

Re: Lost wisdom
April 17, 2013, 03:58:49 PM
How often do you wipe your browser's temporary files? You could always dig them out of your temporary file folder.

Also, given Google's anal inclination for saving every last bit of data to find its way onto their servers, these sites probably still exist in some form or another in Google's backup archives. Unfortunately, as far as I know, the Google Cache content available to the public is limited to their most recent snapshot of the page.