Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

DIY vermicomposting with blueprint

DIY vermicomposting with blueprint
April 23, 2013, 06:02:59 PM
One of the best ways to produce lots of high quality compost quickly is by using worms in a process called vermicomposting.

http://www.resilientcommunities.com/what-i-found-interesting-this-week-4212013/

This looks like a neat system that can be scaled up a bit for more output if more scraps are available.

Re: DIY vermicomposting with blueprint
April 23, 2013, 06:23:07 PM
My wife is the reigning compost-queen. She makes masses of compost each year.
The really interesting thing about the process, is that you don't need worms: they simply appear, en-masse, out of thin air. Millions of writhing red wigglies. I have no idea where they come from, and it seems nobody else does, either.

April 23, 2013, 07:28:08 PM
From the mom and dad worms silly. I was using a trash can system but the air holes are somehow big enough to allow roaches to get in when they are tiny. They soon grow too big to get out and it ends up a roach colony. Flies do pretty much the same thing if the kitchen waste is particularly wet or slimy and volumous. It can get maggot and grub infested. I'll try again soon in temperate mountain area. The semitropics suck.

April 23, 2013, 07:39:38 PM
Where do Mr. and Mrs. Worm come from, then?
If you start out from scratch, with no worms, still you soon get millions of worms from who-knows-where.

Our compost bins invite mice and ants to nest.
This seems not to be a problem though.
The ripe compost gets shovelled out from the bottom, and everything sinks down, while the centrally-heated colonies of mice and ants migrate upwards to the surface. They seem to actually assist the process. Maybe roaches do the same, but being roaches, we don't like them to be there.

April 23, 2013, 08:13:05 PM
Come to think of it, ants weren't a problem which is surprising.

But mom and dad worms come from a long line of mom and dad worms which were simpler lifeforms even before then. Prior to that, their ancestors were antedeluvian single-celled critters and way before that, the right combination of molecules and environmental variables.

April 23, 2013, 08:35:44 PM
That really doesn't account for the worm presence, in any usable way.
Not that it matters, beyond being interesting.
Such things fall into the realm of Reality, which is, by its nature, mystical.