Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Non-metal

Re: Non-metal
May 08, 2013, 02:03:52 AM
Good choice. I like them, they just don't move me as much as some other krautock.

May 09, 2013, 12:24:02 PM
The music has not aged well at all. Some of the modern variety of classical fits the timeless space music bill better.

They ate it big time with The Wall even as it was an instant radio hit back in 79 or so. Even Water's Radio KAOS was a better release but speed metal and movies like Threads at the time had already made the point without the sad irony narration.

Even the Steve Miller Band was always less boring without the bong assistance. Most importantly, the Pink Floyd band isn't clearly a part of the genealogy of metal.

May 09, 2013, 03:38:05 PM
Most importantly, the Pink Floyd band isn't clearly a part of the genealogy of metal.

Do you think so? I'm sure a lot of the more 'proggy' type metal bands took direct or indirect influence from them.

I'd call them an inspiration - definitely not metal - but part of metal's overall lexicon. What would your argument be against that?

May 09, 2013, 09:03:55 PM
Who of any significance cited them?

May 09, 2013, 11:22:47 PM
David Bowie (if you like pop music he's one of the better options) and Kraftwerk both did.

As for metal, I know Queensryche and Fates Warning cite them. Both had good material early on in their careers.

I'm unsure of any death metal bands that are influenced by PF, but I know Enslaved was.

May 10, 2013, 06:31:56 AM

May 10, 2013, 06:56:46 PM
So then the omission of Pink Floyd is very unlikely to break the genealogy of metal so that even without it we would still have had what's magnificent in metal. Effectively, Pink Floyd and some of the others offered = not metal.

May 11, 2013, 05:34:56 AM
So then the omission of Pink Floyd is very unlikely to break the genealogy of metal so that even without it we would still have had what's magnificent in metal. Effectively, Pink Floyd and some of the others offered = not metal.

I wasn't posting links to their music as part of a 'metal genealogy'. It's music played in the format of pop/rock groups that in terms of content is going for something over and above narcissism, it takes you somewhere, has motifs, and lofty themes. It may appeal to people who like metal. We've noted you don't like their music.

But the krautrock movement was directly influenced by them, so if you think this is relevant to the genealogy of metal then so is pink Floyd.

E

May 12, 2013, 09:55:18 AM

May 13, 2013, 02:17:14 AM
Intense! Even a blast beat or two  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-kV1AB5zE4

Largely borrowed from this.

Yep, Keith Emerson directly encorporated much classical into the rock format.

Interestingly, the original Bartok piece you linked to sounds slightly like a death metal song covered by a pianist.