Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Watain vocalist explains why new album sucks

Watain vocalist explains why new album sucks
February 08, 2007, 12:49:09 AM
Taken from : http://www.poseurlust.net/forum/showthread.php?s=3fc7e7162317070cd25c260409b8a942&threadid=11036

"We're trying to take away the superfluous parts, in favor of a more easily approachable feeling of the whole album," the frontman said of Sworn to the Dark. "We want to take away the parts that are just confusing and leave the primal, raw energy in there that everyone can understand... [before], I was using a lot of very obscure metaphors, while now, I try to take it to a level where even a kid, at parts, could understand what we're about. The lyrics on this album are, in a way, a lot more banal. It's a strange word to use, but you don't need a master's degree in philosophy to figure out what we're about.

Translation- Watain succumbs to crowdism.

Re: Watain vocalist explains why new album sucks
February 08, 2007, 01:00:14 AM
At least he's honest and up-front about his (warped) musical outlook; most metal bands have far too large an ego to admit such things.

Re: Watain vocalist explains why new album sucks
February 09, 2007, 04:05:54 AM
This kind of thing upsets me. I always felt like one of the important things to black metal was depth, and one of the ways to achieve it was through obscurity. The listener is forced to pay attention and not shrug off the music as mere noise - and suddenly, subtle details laid by the artist begin to shine through. Swimming through the waves of sound also begins to achieve significance in itself.

Lyrics should be no exception. They need not be uninterpretable, but to make their significance stand out at face-value seems contrary to writing black metal.