Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

What are you like?

What are you like?
May 14, 2013, 04:40:41 PM
In colloquial English, especially northern Ireland, "What are you like?" means you're an idiot.
But I digress...

Do you like yourself?
Or are you so appalled by the way you are, that you superimpose a fabricated ego over the real you?
Do you know who the real you is?
What are you really like?

I realized, one day, that I simply couldn't live with who I was, any more, and set out to become someone I liked.
It was easier than I had thought.
I started by sweeping away the dishonesty.
And the rest just did itself.

Re: What are you like?
May 14, 2013, 05:38:09 PM
I believe this is one of the hardest questions that anyone - ever - has to ask themselves.

Happiness is fleeting. I seek contentment in my life. At this point, I'm nearing some of my major life goals, so it's looking up. I would say that I could use improvement in some areas (getting back to working out - squats, deadlifts, presses - are what I need to start again), but overall I like me. I don't think anyone can ever stop improving themselves, so I don't believe anyone is EVER truly happy with themselves in the fullest, but that doesn't stop me from appreciating where I am now.

You're your own worst critic. Don't be too hard on yourself.

May 14, 2013, 07:44:10 PM
The more I ask myself whether or not I like who I am, the less sure I become. I look back on myself years ago, and while I've changed significantly over that period, I'm not sure whether I've progressed or gotten worse in time. Maybe there is no "better"; just "different". Though I'm sure many would disagree.

May 14, 2013, 07:55:51 PM
Ah. When you like yourself, you know it.
But as Humanicide observes: it's mostly a work-in-progress. Or a non-issue, altogether.
Personally, I feel self-improvement/realization, is a duty all humans must undertake, although comparatively few do.
The idea being to reach a point of balance, where you are all you might be, at the moment you are, without going any further and becoming fake all over again, from the other direction.
Balance is quite easy to recognize: nothing pulls you, either way. Feels terrific, but somewhat difficult to maintain.

May 15, 2013, 06:20:37 PM
I have always liked who I am, even when I didnt. I dont really know what it means to not be content with yourself. I have been discontented with stuff, but never with myself, faults and all. The people who are not content with themselves all seem sick to me. Perhaps they are. I mean its one thing to want to change something in your life or reach a goal but something is probably very wrong if you arent satisfied with yourself.

May 21, 2013, 08:19:31 PM
So you're content with the way you are.
Are you perfect? The best you can be? Nothing questionable about yourself? No further you can go? Not one flaw you recognize? The apex of human development?
You've never been discontented with yourself? Ever? Faults and all?
Anyone who seeks to become better than they are, is sick?

Such a way of seeing oneself seems very, very unhealthy to me.
And goes a long way to illustrating why the Western world is in such a state of terminal decline.
This way of individuals seeing themselves is now the norm.
Everyone's a winner, just the way they are.
The only loser is society, itself.

May 21, 2013, 09:30:02 PM
Do I like myself? Let me see. I'm honestly not too sure, one way or the other.

I like myself when I bring joy to the ones I would like to bring joy to. And I don't like myself when I hurt or dissapoint the people I like.

I've dropped cigarettebuds in nature sometimes, and afterwards felt very bad about it. Then I've compensated by picking up the trash of other people. I always pick up more than I've dropped myself.

I think my liking- and disliking myself balance each other out. There's an equilibrium there. But most of the time, I don't think of myself at all.

Banality. I know.

May 26, 2013, 01:46:14 AM
Do you like yourself?

In the sense of seeking a minimizing of my ego, no.  Most people say that I'm a fabulous person, a good friend, a good role model, etc.  We all have dark, however, to balance the light.

Or are you so appalled by the way you are, that you superimpose a fabricated ego over the real you?

Yes.

Do you know who the real you is?

No, but we are all in some sense on a journey of discovery.

What are you really like?

A person struggling to find his way: to make sense in the world, and to be in it without being part of it.

May 26, 2013, 01:57:20 AM
Haha :)
I like it.

May 26, 2013, 05:22:12 PM
I would hope not to be like something, but simply to be.

May 26, 2013, 05:24:40 PM
That makes you unusual.
And smarter than most.

May 26, 2013, 06:27:02 PM
Simply being. Not like this or that. This is unlike everything.

Simply being, one can say: 'None are equal', and understand that inequality is a beautiful thing. For it is nothing but the pure and simple truth. It is simply being unlike.

Most will tremble with fear faced with this pure and simple truth. Why? Because it strips them naked of their likes. And being like something- or someone else is the only thing that they are. Simple as that.

In reality most people aren't anything like what they think they are like. They just like to think that. They simply are in nothing but thoughts. Take their likes away from them, and they would vanish into thin air.

They are 'like, whatever man...'

On the other hand: To be unlike the majority. To be unlike the equals. To be simple, pure and real. That is beautiful. That I like.