Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Cyborg

Cyborg
May 18, 2013, 03:04:23 PM
"It just mimics so well a natural hand that it really just reminds me of before the accident, how I would have done things," she added. "I never thought I would actually be able to hold a knife and cut something. That's just incredible."

The "i-limb ultra revolution" hands can cost up to $120,000 each, said a spokesman for manufacturer Touch Bionics. Copeland demonstrated the prosthetic hands at the firm's office in Hilliard, Ohio, showing how hand positions can also be remotely set with an iPad application using a blue-tooth connection. The "bioism" software can also be downloaded to an iPhone and iPod, the spokesman said.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/17/us/georgia-aimee-copeland/?hpt=hp_t2

So will the future strength augment cyberhands outcompete sledgehammmers for pulverizing hipster faces?

Re: Cyborg
May 18, 2013, 05:10:05 PM
They would have to somehow be able to simulate the satisfying jarring crunch of flesh and bone impacting face. That might prove to be the biggest challenge.
Squawk!

May 19, 2013, 02:31:45 AM
I'm more interested in a built-in flamethrower.

September 17, 2013, 09:08:36 AM
There's people that walk around with sex toys in their butt all the time. They go to work, go to the stores, they do everything with a sex toy in their butt. They also claim it enhances their performance.

This makes me wonder whether being a cyborg is a form of degeneracy. Will there be people who claim they were born in the wrong body and that they need a plastic surgeon to give them circular saws instead of hands? We've already seen trannies and cat people becoming more accepted in society, cyborgs could be the next thing...

No offense to the posters in this thread. When I was a kid I sure would have liked to have bionic arms. But think of how being a cyborg would be implemented in our current degenerate society. Like commercial space travel I can't think of anything good coming from this :'(

September 17, 2013, 02:04:12 PM
The good that comes of commercial space travel is space travel. It is a type of travel that requires trmendous resources, not only money but minds, people who will dedicate their time to exploring and improving on methods. Those resources aren't readily available; you have to get people interested in something before you can convince them to spend money on it.

As for bionics; I have an idea that consciousness is determined to escape from the confinement of biology and moving into machinery is the next step. Mechanical hands means a small step but it's a step nevertheless toward brain jars that can be transported and interface with various machines. Then after that, neural circuitry that mimics a brain well enough to transplant a human consciousness inside of it. We're getting closer, horrifying implications be damned.

September 18, 2013, 12:19:34 AM
A lot of these technologies end up sidelined in the long run. Someone in the 19th century might have believed railways would have replaced horses and carriages everywhere. Instead, eventually, we ended up with cars and planes.

Similar to various implementations under the transportation umbrella, the transhumanism kinds may take unexpected turns. Perhaps we'll end up with some few mechanical cyborg tanks but most people would just end up with a more elegant genetic engineering modification.

September 18, 2013, 01:40:43 AM
No doubt you are right, bionics and cybernetics will seem crude in a hundred or so years. I've seen a lot of computer tech come into popularity as the greatest breakthrough only to be taken completely for granted four or five years later. Space travel in particular is a much greater endeavor than worldwide communication and data transfer though, and cyborgs are an old dream as well.

Still, it seems to me that technology has a hold on humanity and maintains a breakneck pace of development. No call on whether that's for better or worse but it has some undeniably powerful momentum.

September 18, 2013, 10:03:57 PM
We're in a time in history where our reach tends to exceed our grasp. We dream something up but have to wait for many decades for the results. Science fiction in the 1950s had some space freighter ideas yet only in today's news, sixty years or so afterward, a prototype commercial craft called Cygnus actually lifted off.

Past developments like cannons or trains swept the world right in the wake of all the fanfare. Someone pointed out the groundbreaking ideas have all ended since the 1970s and we're just playing catch up building on the foundations that have been waiting for so long.

September 19, 2013, 03:01:42 AM

October 15, 2013, 03:56:34 PM
Exciting news on various important science and tech beats today, as we learn that boffins have achieved breakthroughs in the allied fields of brain-chipped monkeys, robotics and cybernetics. To wit, they have been working out how to equip monkeys wielding robot arms with a sense of touch.

It seems that, poke-wise, the monkeys didn't distinguish between fleshy and robotic hand stimulus. In Bensmaia's view, this means we're well on our way to artificial arms with a sense of touch.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/15/proper_science_monkeys_with_robot_arms/

They're just about advancing along the classic cyberpunk timeline with this stuff.