Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Classics of Finnish Death Metal

Classics of Finnish Death Metal
May 20, 2013, 08:35:49 PM
I've recently come to appreciate how much of the best material of this genre originates from demos or EPs:

- Abhorrence
- Cartilage
- Rippikoulu
- Demigod's Unholy Domain
- I'm a big fan of Adramelech's Psychostasia, which I feel is underrated, but all their preceding material is on par with the best of Demigod, if not better:

Human Extermination
Grip of Darkness
Spring of Recovery

Re: Classics of Finnish Death Metal
May 20, 2013, 10:43:20 PM
Good call, sometimes it seems bands can't get it together for an entire album, but if you put some of their odds and ends side by side you can still get the same effect e.g. Adramelech and also Imprecation (although not Finnish) is a good example.  Maybe instead of choose your own adventure books, this is create your own album, the band gives you the material and you make the album and the final cuts.  Also Amorphis - Privilege of Evil.

May 25, 2013, 12:11:33 AM

This is a tremendous genre. It seems the best of the throwback death metal nowadays is that which is most conscious of  the contributions of the above-mentioned bands. The best Finnish death metal embodies the Lovecraftian vision of man's place in the universe: helpless, in awe of a world he can neither understand or effect. Our fabrications of mind are consumed when faced with a new, awful, strange, and magnificent reality. Revealed are structures of which we have always been a part. Through this fear, we are reunited with the knowledge of our true past and future, with a new respect for the morbidity of life.

A few bands that have received less recognition:

- Pestigore
- Funebre (earlier demos)
- Purtenance
- Vomiturition (select material)

Carnifex's Decadence demo seems to be generally well-regarded in the underground, but the composition seems lacking to me. Too frenetic, low on content.

May 25, 2013, 12:21:21 AM
Amorphis - Privilege of Evil.

This is better than I anticipated, thank you for the recommendation. I had never heard this, just going off what else I had heard from Amorphis - it actually is very competent death metal in a darker version of the style Demigod is now remembered for.

May 25, 2013, 05:56:39 AM
If you want the best of the best, check out Children of Bodom. Best DM band since Death.

(Sorry guys, I just had to!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMK3K3IX0zQ

May 25, 2013, 06:06:37 PM
Amorphis - Privilege of Evil.

This is better than I anticipated, thank you for the recommendation. I had never heard this, just going off what else I had heard from Amorphis - it actually is very competent death metal in a darker version of the style Demigod is now remembered for.

I dig the "spooky" organ.  If I remember my metal lore correctly this was supposed to be Amorphis' half of a split with Incantation, but for whatever reason it never materialized.  The other band not mentioned yet is Sentenced.  For some reason I liken North From Here to Therion - Beyond Sanctorum.

May 25, 2013, 06:16:59 PM
Are there any other albums in the style of North From Here that this community supports? I've always seen it as a direct ancestor of Kalmah/CoB and all those other "twinkly" finnish melodeath/power metal bands.

May 26, 2013, 04:33:47 PM
Not too sure about other recommendations but there is definitely something "twinkly" about North From Here!  This might be a bit of a stretch but Sacramentum's 2 death metal albums after Far Away from the Sun might be interesting to compare.  Don't hold me to that I haven't listened to them in a while, they might not be as twinkly as North From Here.

May 27, 2013, 06:48:48 AM
Belial's "Wisdom of Darkness" is really quite excellent.

May 28, 2013, 02:34:39 AM
Similar to "North From Here":

Mordicus - "Dances From Left"

Also from Finland. Earlier material is similar to grind Carcass. Album features keyboard and interesting compositional decisions. Later material is soft rock.

EDIT: Standout material I had heard was actually from "Three Way Dissection", an EP. Dances From Left material is not as varied or progressive, resembles Xysma's "Yeah" somewhat.