Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Media players

Re: Media players
May 27, 2013, 05:40:12 AM
iTunes. Is that a faux pas?
Just a walking corpse.

May 28, 2013, 12:37:25 AM
VLC for video.  no reason to bother with anything else

May 28, 2013, 03:02:59 PM
http://www.foobar2000.org/

It requires some customization out of the box to get it looking half-way decent but it is unsurpassed as far as features go.  It also has a very lightweight memory footprint.  Anything uses more than 20mb of RAM just to play an mp3 is a bit absurd.

May 29, 2013, 06:12:03 AM

It requires some customization out of the box to get it looking half-way decent but it is unsurpassed as far as features go.  It also has a very lightweight memory footprint.  Anything uses more than 20mb of RAM just to play an mp3 is a bit absurd.

Does anyone run out of memory nowadays? Maybe from a programming standpoint it's commendable to have the program run efficiently, but I think the average computer can spare plenty more than 20 mb of RAM.
Just a walking corpse.

May 29, 2013, 04:02:12 PM

Does anyone run out of memory nowadays? Maybe from a programming standpoint it's commendable to have the program run efficiently, but I think the average computer can spare plenty more than 20 mb of RAM.

It is still fairly good indicator of bloat. If you need half a gigabyte of memory to play a music file, something went wrong in the design of the program.  Also, if you are going to have a program be open 24/7, like how I use my media player, having it be less taxing on your system becomes more important.

June 06, 2013, 02:20:35 AM
Songbird is a fucking pig. Avoid!

June 06, 2013, 12:59:49 PM
VLC is top dog when it comes to video playback.

I prefer WinAmp for music playback, but since I have an old iPod I use iTunes (though in the past I've used MediaMonkey instead and found it more than an adequate replacement).
No.

Having reviewed the thread, baby Jesus is most definitely weeping at this point.

June 06, 2013, 05:32:01 PM
I use Winamp for audio and VLC for video. It's been a reliable combination for several years. I have, however, heard good things about foobar2000, but since my current solution just works, I haven't seen any need to migrate. Winamp also comes with powerful procedural visualizers, but they aren't exactly necessary.
Generic misanthropic crowd-pleasing statement, potentially with a subclause betraying a hopeful vision and steps the writer believes would make that vision real.

June 08, 2013, 01:31:33 AM
Media Player Classic for everything. Deliberately barebones with a lot of plugins and support for a variety of codecs.

June 08, 2013, 07:50:07 AM
I use Winamp for music and KMplayer for movies and videos.

Still haven't figured out the solution to getting Winamp to connect to my android phone as advertised...it just won't do it....