Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Cormac McCarthy & modern literature

Cormac McCarthy & modern literature
May 27, 2013, 06:56:29 AM
Never heard his name mentioned here, but Cormac McCarthy seems like the sort of modern writer that might be appreciated on these forums. Stylistically similar to Faulkner, conceptually more influenced by Conrad and Melville, but probably the best "semi-mainstream" American writer currently active. Anyone else read his books? The Road and No Country For Old Men get the most press, but Blood Meridian is definitely his masterpiece.

Are there any other suggestions for good modern writers I'm missing out on? I've already read and enjoyed Houellebecq, but aside from that I can't think of too much. Thomas Ligotti was impressive but maybe that's more my own personal preference than anything else.

Re: Cormac McCarthy & modern literature
May 27, 2013, 08:11:38 AM
Modern is a pretty subjective term, but for me it would include 'Illusions', by Richard Bach.
An intrepid aviator, and a regular guy. A tale to remember.

May 27, 2013, 02:57:58 PM
I can't say I don't enjoy his prose.

Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. You could see them standing in the amber current where the white edges of their fins wimpled softly in the flow. They smelled of moss in your hand. Polished and muscular and torsional. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.

May 27, 2013, 06:04:43 PM
Nice. He's not half bad, eh?