Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Buzum: SOL AUSTAN, MANI VESTAN

Buzum: SOL AUSTAN, MANI VESTAN
May 31, 2013, 12:48:47 AM
This has been on youtube all week and we are not talking about it or even listening to it. I suppose after the last couple of albums Vikernes has become irrelevant.

Is there any decent band remaining besides Graveland?

A new Graveland album is to be released in June according to graveland.org !

Re: Buzum: SOL AUSTAN, MANI VESTAN
May 31, 2013, 02:25:18 AM
I think it's a great album. Not metal, but who cares.

May 31, 2013, 04:08:00 PM
This has been on youtube all week and we are not talking about it or even listening to it. I suppose after the last couple of albums Vikernes has become irrelevant.

Is there any decent band remaining besides Graveland?

A new Graveland album is to be released in June according to graveland.org !

I heard about the new Graveland, too - Thunderbolt of the Gods!  Here's a really really long, new interview with Graveland / Lord Wind.

May 31, 2013, 11:43:31 PM
The new Burzum has been getting quite a bit of coverage on Deathmetal.org. For what it's worth, I think it's probably the best thing Vikernes has put out in a while (and I liked Fallen quite a bit). It's like a less demonstrative followup to HliūskjŠlf, which is interesting because to date the newer Burzum stuff has been quite a bit more demonstrative than the older releases. It's pretty laid-back contemplative, which makes sense given its genesis in soundtrack music, but it's definitely more compositionally involved than mere sonic wallpaper.

The new Summoning is excellent, like all of their releases, but that's already been discussed heavily here. I'm sort of excited about the new Graveland. Will Stronger Than Death was great, Spears of Heaven was mediocre like a lot of his post-Following the Voice of Blood stuff, but the Cold Winter Blades EP showed him branching out into newer sounds in an interesting way. I hope he keeps the momentum going for the new full-length. Maybe the longer gap between releases (outside of the remastered versions of Creed of Iron and Memory and Destiny) will have given Darken more time to write epic tunes.

June 01, 2013, 05:13:36 AM
The new Burzum has been getting quite a bit of coverage on Deathmetal.org. For what it's worth, I think it's probably the best thing Vikernes has put out in a while (and I liked Fallen quite a bit). It's like a less demonstrative followup to HliūskjŠlf, which is interesting because to date the newer Burzum stuff has been quite a bit more demonstrative than the older releases. It's pretty laid-back contemplative, which makes sense given its genesis in soundtrack music, but it's definitely more compositionally involved than mere sonic wallpaper.

The new Summoning is excellent, like all of their releases, but that's already been discussed heavily here. I'm sort of excited about the new Graveland. Will Stronger Than Death was great, Spears of Heaven was mediocre like a lot of his post-Following the Voice of Blood stuff, but the Cold Winter Blades EP showed him branching out into newer sounds in an interesting way. I hope he keeps the momentum going for the new full-length. Maybe the longer gap between releases (outside of the remastered versions of Creed of Iron and Memory and Destiny) will have given Darken more time to write epic tunes.

I've actually come around to some of the post-Following Graveland. Immortal Pride, Cold Winter Blades, M&D, Dawn of Iron Blades and Fire Chariot of Destruction are all pretty solid albums, and the Raise Your Swords! EP is decent. I still feel like Creed of Iron, Spears of Heaven and The Fire of Awakening are pretty boring though.
Hopefully the new version of Fire of Awakening adds something to it because that album especially is lacking in creative content. It actually made me stop following Graveland for a few years and I've only recently come back home.

June 01, 2013, 01:39:04 PM
While I dont like the album very much, the previous few Burzum works gave me the impression that Varg had somewhat checked out. This is different, he seems to have found a voice and a place, the only element I miss is the narrative songwriting.

June 01, 2013, 07:33:06 PM
This is different, he seems to have found a voice and a place, the only element I miss is the narrative songwriting.

I wish he were here to weigh in on this, but it seems to me that telling stories often requires that the storyteller have a lot of free time, which he does not at this point.

June 01, 2013, 11:28:55 PM
...a lot of free time, which he does not at this point.

I dont doubt it, that sounds quite reasonable. It looks like he has a lot of projects going on at the moment. I do feel that Varg has somewhat diverted his attention away from music. Looking at the output of his blog, between the vaccine denialism and perverse pleasure at the Stockholm riots is a spirit struggling to rediscover heroism. The medium has changed. This album should be celebrated for what it is, not derided for what it isnt. What it is is a mature musical exploration of moods.