Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Creating a new religion

Creating a new religion
May 31, 2013, 02:37:06 AM
Christianity is pretty much dead, right?  Though, nothing has replaced it yet.

I am attracted to the traditional values and ascetic practices of Christianity.  Little of this remains in Christian culture today.

Will a new religion arise? Is there a better place for it to be born than at the ANUS forum, as a group project?  Most of us desire some form of community based spirituality, and we share a fairly uniform set of ideas and knowledge.  Letís start a cult! People feel defeated and somehow forget how easy this could be. No one is going to stop us.  We can be pessimistic about our numbers, but it really only takes a single man and a single woman (or perhaps even a single parent with a couple of kidsÖ) to grow into a huge religion, even if it never spreads beyond direct genetic descendants.

I propose the following:

1. We create a religion which explains only the explainable
2. We worship god. The same god whose voice has been worshipped by nearly all of the successful religions, but this time without fairytales. Fairytales seem silly to modern man and are responsible for the decline of Western religion.
3. We create some sort of shared form of worship and tradition. This will involve meditation, ascetic practices (or at least moderation...), prayer, etc.
4. This is not a commune type cult.  Letís start with an online community and a yearly gathering.

I have lots of thoughts on this, but I want to see what response I get if any before writing more.

Re: Creating a new religion
May 31, 2013, 03:08:12 AM
I may be tarding here, but isn't it science that seeks to explain only the explainable?

May 31, 2013, 03:15:53 AM
Fairy tales may seem silly on the surface for the modern man but when facing death or losses, a lot of people return to fairy tales.

May 31, 2013, 03:29:54 AM
will there be any visual art, music, poetry, etc. related to that religion? If so, will it involve creating new art or will we take what's allready there but in bring it in a new light?

good art is often a good ciment in order to make an enduring religion. well, it have worked for christianity and induism at least.

May 31, 2013, 05:47:14 AM
so there is no afterlife?

this reminds of Alain De Botton borrowing from Christianity, but it's never whole. It can be insightful, but overall feels futile.

May 31, 2013, 08:16:53 AM
The centre of human culture and personal life is spirituality and religion.

Of course Christianity is about dead today.

We need the eastern thougths as it is only in some of these religions the metaphysical truths have been explained in letters.

Most of the eastern religious movements in the West are too much focused on the indian, tibetan form , so much, that some of them seem unable to explain even the most basic core of metaphysics behind the religion!

They want the tibetan incence and the singingbowls, but have they heard about the four noble truths?

Religion today is mostly an identity procuct, that people take on to themselves to look cool.

The yoga classes says : "You can get all these things, if you pay us your money, self confidence, happiness and success in your career." But they never seems focused on the most important, the unspoken wisdom about your existence.

In reality humanity have already created the complete metaphysical science about existence in the upanishadic litterature and in early buddhism, but it need to be shaped to a western mode of life without loosing its essence, like it does with the New Age-movement.

Some says islam should shape the modern world into something more appriciateeable. Though, that culture is so focused on the dogma of the letter and on the inherent moral truths, just like the fault was with christianity.

If you ask me, people should be forced to convert to buddhism. They are already atheist, so all they have to realize is the selflessness to accomplish that.

May 31, 2013, 03:04:32 PM
I presume our holy religion will provide lysergic acid for the masses, it's the humane thing to do.

May 31, 2013, 06:23:02 PM
The centre of human culture and personal life is spirituality and religion.

Of course Christianity is about dead today.

We need the eastern thougths as it is only in some of these religions the metaphysical truths have been explained in letters.

Most of the eastern religious movements in the West are too much focused on the indian, tibetan form , so much, that some of them seem unable to explain even the most basic core of metaphysics behind the religion!

They want the tibetan incence and the singingbowls, but have they heard about the four noble truths?

Religion today is mostly an identity procuct, that people take on to themselves to look cool.

The yoga classes says : "You can get all these things, if you pay us your money, self confidence, happiness and success in your career." But they never seems focused on the most important, the unspoken wisdom about your existence.

In reality humanity have already created the complete metaphysical science about existence in the upanishadic litterature and in early buddhism, but it need to be shaped to a western mode of life without loosing its essence, like it does with the New Age-movement.

Some says islam should shape the modern world into something more appriciateeable. Though, that culture is so focused on the dogma of the letter and on the inherent moral truths, just like the fault was with christianity.

If you ask me, people should be forced to convert to buddhism. They are already atheist, so all they have to realize is the selflessness to accomplish that.

I can agree with the Buddhist sentiment. It would make the most sense. The main issue with all religions and trains of thoughts in the modern world is a lack of a caste system. A system where everyone has there place would give said religion it's artisans,soldiers,workers,priest,merchants etc.

May 31, 2013, 06:51:22 PM
No religion can coexist with the idea of equality.
Equality = self-importance.
Self-importance = ego.
Ego = separation from the object of religion.

June 01, 2013, 12:24:19 AM
What is valuable to us? Why do we value it? These questions are quite easily understood. Let us first consider the values held by primitive men from many ages ago, and then letís explore the evolution of human value and religion. What guided the actions of primitive humans? Why did they decide to eat food? Did they even need to make a decision regarding this? Answered most simply, they ate because they were hungry.  And they were hungry so that they would not starve to death. Very simply, we see that food was valuable to the primitive man.

The origin of the value of most objects and actions is equally obvious.  The lack of such value would result in the failure of the tribe.

We can easily categorize these valuable things into three groups. Feelings, objects, and results.

We all understand feelings. Eating feels good. Starving to death is painful. Sex feels good. Etc.

We understand objects. Food is valuable.

We understand results.  Nourishment is valuable.

Cumulatively, these values live in a hierarchy which guide human activity and perpetuate the tribe.
What should we hold in highest regard, the feelings, the objects, or the results? Or perhaps a balance of all three?

There is a fourth less obvious category of value. We value the voice which guides us. We value hunger itself.  Cumulatively, our hungers for various things guide all of our actions. We value the cumulative voice.

This voice is god.  Hunger is god.

Various religions evolved which worship this god and attempt to understand god. Most of these religions also attempt to explain the unexplainable. Modern man has become skeptical of these explanations of the unexplainable, and in reaction is turning away from god. But it is clear that these explanations were never the important part to begin with. We must continue to worship god.

How do we worship god?

1. We listen to and obey godís voice. We value the values god has given us.
2. We do not try to extinguish godís voice. Excess satiety is epidemic in todayís world of easily obtainable basic needs. Moderation is essential. Depression is a sin. The depressed have totally extinguished godís voice.  Multiple scientific studies show that sleep deprivation immediately cures depression. Depression is a state of excess satiety.
 3. We avoid addiction. Addiction is a sin in which one craves something excessively. This craving is not godís voice.
4. We periodically participate in ascetic practices. These practices magnify godís voice.  We hunger for hunger. Through these practices, we overcome our addictions. We gain control of our impulses and begin to feel all of our hungers pleasantly guiding us in unison toward the correct path.
5. We practice mindfulness meditation. We strive for awareness of our reality and of godís voice.
6. We see that god is more important than ourselves.  We see that god is a part of our own soul, perhaps the most important part.  All fears of death are alleviated by our knowledge that god (a part of our soul) will persist beyond our death.
7. We pray. We thank god. We ask god to continue to guide us.

June 01, 2013, 12:31:18 AM
Those are my current thoughts on god. I need help with creating something less generic. I need help with appealing to our awe for the mysterious while maintaining sensibility.

I need to create that feeling we get while listening to an old religious chant in a language that we do not understand.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv_2x6JmuaE .

Or the feeling we get when listening to Lord Wind. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdA3VK2ONHY

June 01, 2013, 01:03:39 AM

I need to create that feeling we get while listening to an old religious chant in a language that we do not understand.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv_2x6JmuaE .

Some of us still understand this language; in fact, some of us still pray daily in this tongue, which has known no change through the passing of centuries.

Do not be so sure that that which remains unmoved is unanimated.

June 02, 2013, 01:16:16 AM
Christianity is pretty much dead, right?  Though, nothing has replaced it yet.

Even Apollo and Dionysis are dead by now. But they'll come back don't you worry.
Even God will be reborn, just got to be patient that's all.

NHA

June 03, 2013, 04:51:06 AM
RaŽlism. It even has a metal umlaut.

June 04, 2013, 03:52:59 PM
The plenitude that is Greek and Nordic mythology must be integrated and I think the connection between hunger and God and food and religion is apt.  If you want to make something less generic, I believe you do have to move toward anthropomorphizing and naming the Gods.  I like the Tao as much as the next guy but there is something about it and similar abstract discourses about the nature of reality that does not lend itself to an easy integration for everyday life.