Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Getting it and overdoing it

Getting it and overdoing it
June 04, 2013, 01:17:06 AM
It has often been said that certain pieces of music might take a while to fully sink in. I know that even in my own experience as a metal listener, it might take repeated sitting before really appreciating a particular album.

On the flip-side, do you ever find that there are certain classic albums which are undoubtedly important beyond all else to metal history as well as your own personal development as a listener that just donít have the same effect they once had? (I donít mean stuff that seemed cool but turned out to be sub-par further on down the track).

I feel that there are a few albums Iíve listened to almost inside out and theyíve become like a solved mystery after a while, they donít blow me away anymore. Perhaps this is where live performances come to good use, as depending on the level of accuracy in execution or improvisation, one might see a familiar piece in a new light.

Anyone ever have this problem and if so how does one overcome it?

Re: Getting it and overdoing it
June 05, 2013, 02:04:09 AM
Listen to classical for six weeks.

June 08, 2013, 01:35:37 PM

Principle of a "detox". Step away for an appreciable amount of time. After listening to Bach nearly exclusively for 2-3 years, I've come to appreciate death metal again, especially albums I thought I had over-listened to death (Slumber of Sullen Eyes).

June 08, 2013, 10:35:35 PM
On the flip-side, do you ever find that there are certain classic albums which are undoubtedly important beyond all else to metal history as well as your own personal development as a listener that just donít have the same effect they once had? (I donít mean stuff that seemed cool but turned out to be sub-par further on down the track).

I have burned myself out on some albums from time to time, but a break of a few weeks usually refreshes it if it is something worthwhile. Even when poetry becomes familiar, it still retains its impact. Do you have any examples of albums aquarius?

June 10, 2013, 04:49:12 AM
On the flip-side, do you ever find that there are certain classic albums which are undoubtedly important beyond all else to metal history as well as your own personal development as a listener that just don’t have the same effect they once had? (I don’t mean stuff that seemed cool but turned out to be sub-par further on down the track).

I have burned myself out on some albums from time to time, but a break of a few weeks usually refreshes it if it is something worthwhile. Even when poetry becomes familiar, it still retains its impact. Do you have any examples of albums aquarius?

There was no internet access when I first got into metal as a 16 yro, and albums where expensive, around $30 and more for imports, so I had maybe a handful of albums to get me through. Mostly the early discographies of Darkthrone, Burzum, Immortal and Emperor I have explored to the point of exhaustion and now find I would listen to them once in a year if that. Getting a cdr of Drawing Down the Moon and Varathron - His Majesty at the Swamp at some point after my initial immersion into Norwegian style black metal was a godsend.

Principle of a "detox". Step away for an appreciable amount of time. After listening to Bach nearly exclusively for 2-3 years, I've come to appreciate death metal again, especially albums I thought I had over-listened to death (Slumber of Sullen Eyes).

I know what you mean. But when I get on a classical binge it usually ends up being more like 6 months than 6 weeks.